I’ll Pack an Alpacka Packraft ***Review Added 10/4/20***

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
[mention]AkMtnRunner [/mention] Sorry. I think I misread your comment. Yeah. We’re on the same page now.

Gotcha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got the same pump labeled as the Giga Pump on Amazon. It's awesome, fast, small. It's filled up my 2 person packraft and Big Agnes floor five times so far this year with no recharge. So worth the money!

Was the Giga Pump as light as the Kokopelli’s? Their website said 6 oz!?!? I’m 100% going to buy a 6 oz pump. Especially if it can adapt to Big Agnes. That’s a no brainer.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Larry Bartlett
I have another question for you if its ok. How does the bottom/floor work? Is it a self-bailing boat with an insertable/removable floor?
(referring to the 3rd photo) Thanks man.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
@Larry Bartlett
I have another question for you if its ok. How does the bottom/floor work? Is it a self-bailing boat with an insertable/removable floor?
(referring to the 3rd photo) Thanks man.

You put the floor piece in the raft and then inflate it. It gives you more load capacity and in my experience stiffens the boat up making it go faster. The pr49 is a great boat, it’s one piece of gear that if somehow I lost or it got destroyed then I’d be on the phone instantly getting a new one lined up.

Out of curiosity, how much is the ranger raft going to cost? I was thinking a mule would be a good addition to my rafts but the ranger looks cool too.

I have an Alpacka Yukon Yak and the PR49HD w/ floor. Got the Yak off the RS classifieds.

raft2_zpswmxl3uhp.jpg

For climbing the Yak is like 6.5lbs...not too bad but I have to be headed to a lake or something to actually use it. I got the PR49 for a fly-in, drift trip I'm planning. I was underinflated the first time I took it out and as you can see, the rough water made for a wild ride.

Photo as shown on Facebook

YourFBmoment.jpg

Same shot in real life

Yourreallife.jpg

The PR49HD with inflated floor is a robust SOB and handles well but I wouldn't wanna carry it far.

Mt Al

WKR
Was the Giga Pump as light as the Kokopelli’s? Their website said 6 oz!?!? I’m 100% going to buy a 6 oz pump. Especially if it can adapt to Big Agnes. That’s a no brainer.

Howard, I really don't know, don't have a scale but 99.999% it's exactly the same thing, same factory, and Kokopelli asked the manufacturer to private label the device. Same color, same size, etc..

It really is a no brainer to take along in addition to the inflation bag. If weight/size is an issue, the Thermarest NeoAir pump is about 1/3 the size but not as powerful. The ye olde timey packrafters from like the 2017s are like "these whipper snappers, filling their rafts with an electric fan. When I was a boy we filled with inflation bags. Kids..."

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The pr49 is a great boat, it’s one piece of gear that if somehow I lost or it got destroyed then I’d be on the phone instantly getting a new one lined up.

Out of curiosity, how much is the ranger raft going to cost? I was thinking a mule would be a good addition to my rafts but the ranger looks cool too.

I agree. The hunting plans and new ideas the raft has brought into my mind... I’m definitely not to the point where it is essential, but it’s gonna be a lot of fun.

Prices: I have no clue. I have a couple email addresses and a phone number, but I’m not “in the loop”.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Howard, I really don't know, don't have a scale but 99.999% it's exactly the same thing, same factory, and Kokopelli asked the manufacturer to private label the device. Same color, same size, etc..

It really is a no brainer to take along in addition to the inflation bag. If weight/size is an issue, the Thermarest NeoAir pump is about 1/3 the size but not as powerful. The ye olde timey packrafters from like the 2017s are like "these whipper snappers, filling their rafts with an electric fan. When I was a boy we filled with inflation bags. Kids..."

Haha!!
Some people’s kids...

My biggest issue was bulk size. Like I said, 6 ounces? Done! But the bag works perfectly. So it would depend on the trip I suppose.

I do know that Alpacka is also coming out with a pump. I’m curious to see it’s size and weight. Either way, I guess I’m a whipper snapper because I’d like the ease of a pump.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
[mention]Where's Bruce? [/mention] That photo Op is hilarious!! You have unlocked the wicked truth of social media.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
yep that looks great. I added loop discs every 6" around the top sides of the PR49 then a perimeter cord for lashing awkward loads of meat and gear. I found that having just a few attachment points was good but not perfect for every load. They are light enough to add more as you discover what works best for your hunting or load style.

Sharp design.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
yep that looks great. I added loop discs every 6" around the top sides of the PR49 then a perimeter cord for lashing awkward loads of meat and gear. I found that having just a few attachment points was good but not perfect for every load. They are light enough to add more as you discover what works best for your hunting or load style.

Sharp design.

Roger that. Thanks.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
To answer the question of zipper compartment for storage on the PR49...no. The PR49 is an absolute work horse designed to carry sick loads suspended from the mesh slings enabling adjustment for CG balance and to suspend your body weight off the floor. Very important in colder climates, IMO

Why not the zipper? Alaska conditions where low-water threats are common in remote streams make strike points vulnerable if gear were to be stored in the tubes. The PR49 is like a pack mule compared to a race horse (alpacka). Both animals serve very different purposes in the backcountry.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Sharp design.

Several of my loop discs are starting to come unglued on my PR49 after 3+ years of fairly heavy use, what can I use to glue the edges back down on those things and is there a method you suggest. Not bashing the product, but I've beaten on my PR49 for awhile and its due for a "tune up" of sorts.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
To answer the question of zipper compartment for storage on the PR49...no. The PR49 is an absolute work horse designed to carry sick loads suspended from the mesh slings enabling adjustment for CG balance and to suspend your body weight off the floor. Very important in colder climates, IMO

Why not the zipper? Alaska conditions where low-water threats are common in remote streams make strike points vulnerable if gear were to be stored in the tubes. The PR49 is like a pack mule compared to a race horse (alpacka). Both animals serve very different purposes in the backcountry.
Good info. Thanks for the feedback. I'm curious to see if the pack raft catches on as a hunting tool here in the lower 48. It's obviously more essential in AK and it is obviously underused here in the 48. It's crazy to me that is still the case with so many options: boat size, weight, purpose. It's a huge tool box!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thinhorn, the early PR49s were made with TPU fabric, which is tricky to match glues and explains why some loop rings are delaminating. The last few years we've switched to PVC (slightly heavier) and delam issues have gone bye bye.

Try a product called HH66 for PVC repair. It's the best match I've found. It will help immensely if you prep both the underside patch and the raft material with MEK so that it's "tacky" to touch before starting the glue steps.

lb

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have an Alpacka Yukon Yak and the PR49HD w/ floor. Got the Yak off the RS classifieds.

View attachment 223726

For climbing the Yak is like 6.5lbs...not too bad but I have to be headed to a lake or something to actually use it. I got the PR49 for a fly-in, drift trip I'm planning. I was underinflated the first time I took it out and as you can see, the rough water made for a wild ride.

Photo as shown on Facebook

View attachment 223724

Same shot in real life

View attachment 223725

The PR49HD with inflated floor is a robust SOB and handles well but I wouldn't wanna carry it far.
This is gold hahahahaha

RDavis27

FNG
Never heard the weight? Well "saw" really:) Love to figure out a place in Idaho (home), to utilize a pakraft. Maybe the Frank. (Frank Church Wilderness of No return).

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Ranger in the stuff sack and the refill bag weighed right around 11.5 lbs if I remember right.

The Ranger has 3 different denier options for the tubes.
Each option would weigh differently.
210d Nylon/Polyurethane
310d Nylon/PU
420d Nylon/PU

The floor is 840d Nylon/PU