I’ll Pack an Alpacka Packraft ***Review Added 10/4/20***

RDavis27

FNG
My Ranger in the stuff sack and the refill bag weighed right around 11.5 lbs if I remember right.

The Ranger has 3 different denier options for the tubes.
Each option would weigh differently.
210d Nylon/Polyurethane
310d Nylon/PU
420d Nylon/PU

The floor is 840d Nylon/PU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks

spedwards

FNG
Great looking raft. I looked into getting one for an Alaska Haul road hunt. Had planned on using it to cross the Sag river. Ended up getting my wife pregnant during the pandemic lockdown. Settled for an Elk hunt instead. Still planning on getting the mule in the future. Could not be more excited for the baby in January though.

bard

Lil-Rokslider
can you tell me the difference between the ranger and explorer 42? does the ranger self bail?

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
can you tell me the difference between the ranger and explorer 42? does the ranger self bail?

Yes. The Ranger is self bailing. I .... don’t think I have any photos of the underside and may not have mentioned that. Good point.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Ranger in the stuff sack and the refill bag weighed right around 11.5 lbs if I remember right.

The Ranger has 3 different denier options for the tubes.
Each option would weigh differently.
210d Nylon/Polyurethane
310d Nylon/PU
420d Nylon/PU

The floor is 840d Nylon/PU

[mention]cwashburn [/mention]

Bac18

FNG
Never take an unproven weapon into battle!

***Review Added 10/4/20*** Alpacka Packraft Review

Gear check

18a8f7fb5cc71221d249ff947cfe1cea.jpg

d5d7aea566985e20d7d253c3d71181b6.jpg

abd7b7e6cdcab9ffc4034ac767fdad81.jpeg

68e1fa3ea172b565711ef2827f069ae3.jpeg

Who knew...?!? Water could be the key to winning the land race to find new hunting areas.

Lol

bard

Lil-Rokslider
So I have never been in a packraft. why or why do i not want the self bailing floor. What are the advantages/Disadvantages compared to the open concept. Most use will be hike in lakes for fishing, taking on hunts to cross lakes, and rivers and to hopefully transport meat. float gentle rivers for fishing with and without a kid. Do not see a lot of whitewater in my future unless i run into some on a float hunt.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I have never been in a packraft. why or why do i not want the self bailing floor. What are the advantages/Disadvantages compared to the open concept. Most use will be hike in lakes for fishing, taking on hunts to cross lakes, and rivers and to hopefully transport meat. float gentle rivers for fishing with and without a kid. Do not see a lot of whitewater in my future unless i run into some on a float hunt.

A self bailing boat has holes in the bottom/floor of the boat. Water can go in and out, so you never have to bail out the water. The down side is that your butt can get wet.
That’s the short version. Is that too basic?

bard

Lil-Rokslider
A self bailing boat has holes in the bottom/floor of the boat. Water can go in and out, so you never have to bail out the water. The down side is that your butt can get wet.
That’s the short version. Is that too basic?
nope. just what i was looking for. so the floor will always be full of a bit of water but can not fill up. So a packraft the size of the ranger. Do you ever sit on the very back on the tube itself to paddle in calm water or are you always down in the boat on the seat? I sat in a few kayaks and could not handle my legs being flat all day. Sorry for the rookie questions. LOL don't want to pull the trigger and buy the wrong style or find out it won't suit me.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never tried to sit on the tube at the rear of the boat. I think that would probably feel pretty unstable. You could rotate to your knees pretty easily to change it up.

Regarding wetness. I was on hot weather mostly. The huge temp change from the sun to the water caused the raft to to lose it’s “taughtness”.
I tried to cool it off as much as possible and as long as it held high pressure my butt stayed dry.
Also, the oars dropped a pretty decent amount of water down the oats and down my arms. Partly poor technique and partly just the way it is.

For what you’re talking about, either should be fine. A flat bottom would work fine. My buddy used a solid bottom Alpacka. Mine was self bailing. I bet if you called them, they’d make you whatever you want.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alpacka has a new ordering system.
(At least I think it’s new)
Looks like it’s nearly 100% custom built to order.
From colors to materials etc

Ive used Alpacka pack rafts (Caribou) on a few fly fishing trips in salt water; They're incredibly durable and easy to inflate/deflate. They can also haul a surprising amount of gear. A great investment if you have access to good water to use them on. Were using them in Mexico at the end of January, I'll post up pics upon return.