I’ll Pack an Alpacka Packraft ***Review Added 10/4/20***

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
[mention]tdot [/mention] No. That info was not provided to me, but I didn’t ask. At the time of the review, I didn’t fully realize they had so many different options. I can ask though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you know what weight material your boat was made of? I didn't notice that in the review.

Here’s the material info on the boat I used in the review:

The material used in the Ranger is our proprietary 210-denier high count nylon. With the cargo fly, it weighs in at 10lb 1oz without the backrest or backband. This fabric will be used in our standard Ranger option. If the Ranger is ordered in the Kuiu Verde 2.0 fabric, that is made of our 330-denier Cordura Nylon.

Custom packrafts can be ordered through our Custom Lab program alternative fabrics, but the 210 and Kuiu Verde 330 will be our standard fabrics when the product launches. Both very durable and can withstand a lot!

Frontiers

FNG
To answer the question of zipper compartment for storage on the PR49...no. The PR49 is an absolute work horse designed to carry sick loads suspended from the mesh slings enabling adjustment for CG balance and to suspend your body weight off the floor. Very important in colder climates, IMO

Why not the zipper? Alaska conditions where low-water threats are common in remote streams make strike points vulnerable if gear were to be stored in the tubes. The PR49 is like a pack mule compared to a race horse (alpacka). Both animals serve very different purposes in the backcountry.
Thanks for posting this response in particular, it tells us alot about the design philosophy between the different products. I just got off the phone with Alpacka discussing the Ranger, which also fills a niche use case (solo backcountry hunt with the ability to float massive loads). I was interested to see why you didn't include cargo zippers in the design, but now that you mention the load balance considerations (bow and stern weight) as well as the durability you hit the nail on the head as a durable backcountry tool. Thanks again, it looks like I'll be giving Pristine Ventures a ring to see if my application fits with the design of the PR-49.

Samsam

FNG
I was literally just thinking to myself that the forager was a bit to big for what I wanted and the mule was a little to small, looks like alpaca raft read my mind and designed the perfect boat for me.

Any pictures of it rolled up on a pack? How did it handle with gear/meat? Im looking into the BHA Oryx (something I can grow into with my kid). Any recommendation on a PFD? Thanks for any insight.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any pictures of it rolled up on a pack? How did it handle with gear/meat? Im looking into the BHA Oryx (something I can grow into with my kid). Any recommendation on a PFD? Thanks for any insight.

There’s a pic of my pack on the River bank with the raft inside. You can’t really tell, since the raft is in the main bag compartment.
I never strapped the raft to the outside of the pack.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for posting this response in particular, it tells us alot about the design philosophy between the different products. I just got off the phone with Alpacka discussing the Ranger, which also fills a niche use case (solo backcountry hunt with the ability to float massive loads). I was interested to see why you didn't include cargo zippers in the design, but now that you mention the load balance considerations (bow and stern weight) as well as the durability you hit the nail on the head as a durable backcountry tool. Thanks again, it looks like I'll be giving Pristine Ventures a ring to see if my application fits with the design of the PR-49.
Did they mention when the Ranger would be in production?

Self Bailer or open top? Pro and Cons? How does a self bailer work I'm new to this pack raft idea and couldn't find anything listed on Alpacka's website. Thanks!!!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Self Bailer or open top? Pro and Cons? How does a self bailer work I'm new to this pack raft idea and couldn't find anything listed on Alpacka's website. Thanks!!!
Self bailer basically just has holes in it so water freely comes in and out of the boat. It adds dry weight but also in my experience causes a more sluggish boat because you always have a lot of water in it when you paddle around. I'd only really want a self bailer for a real white water raft, if Im hauling weight or paddling lakes I prefer a standard bottom.

I also don't like the ti zip storage thing, it seems like a weak point on the boat, companies typically only warranty that zipper for a short period of time and I dont want to deflate my boat every time I need a piece of gear or something, again, I'd only get that on a pure white water raft.

As far as open top etc, again, I only want that on a pure white water boat, no reason for me to use it on a hunting raft, I've also seen lots of moss and algae grow on the velcro attachments and it adds weight and bulk when you are packing it around.

I'm boring, I like basic floor open top packrafts.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alpacka officially launched the Ranger today!

Samsam

FNG
Alpacka officially launched the Ranger today!

Looks great, although to bad it comes standard with the zippered compartment storage must mean they are pretty confident in it holding up in the long term.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Looks great, although to bad it comes standard with the zippered compartment storage must mean they are pretty confident in it holding up in the long term.
They've had that feature on their boats for a long time. If there were going to be issues with it, you would be able to do a quick Google search and find them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Samsam

FNG
They've had that feature on their boats for a long time. If there were going to be issues with it, you would be able to do a quick Google search and find them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ya in looking online seems like they put them onto the market in 2012, didn’t find any overly negative things said about them. Although one positive I haven’t considered was the ability to repair a puncture by putting tape on both the inside and outside of the whole due to having access to the inside of the tube.

dekartes

FNG
I just signed up to make a quick comment. I have Larry's PR49, and 3 boats from Alpacka; the Explorer 42, the older Fjord Explorer with a deck (along the lines of the mule) and a really lightweight Curiyak (not available anymore). All have their places. The PR49 and the Explorer 42 are gear haulers and I often fish with my 9 year old in the front of both of them. The PR is more comfortable for this as you sit on the slings and sit higher. The floor of the PR is high pressure and provides an insane amount of stability, to the point on slower river stretches I can stand up. I live in the lower 48, but have used both my PR and Alpacka for non-hiking float plane drops in Alaska. I would always pick the PR for this now. It is so easy to load gear and is more comfortable to paddle for me. I would think for the gear / weight requirement for hunting Larry's boat is ideal. I would have to try a self bailing floor with those types of weights before buying. If just me, then I can see how the self bailer would be great. As far as the cargo fly... I could not have carried the gear I have on extended float trips without this on the Alpacka. That being said - Larry's boat loads the same gear in a fraction of the time without the need for the cargo fly. Alpacka has weight and bulk on it's side; but functionality goes to Larry and the PR. Anyway - thought I would chime in. I don't hunt, but I have done many extended float trips / hike in trips. I use the boat that makes the most sense for what I am doing. If I am doing no hiking at all I also built a wood bench for my PR that is compact, but gives even more comfort. When I hike a lot I pick up one of the Alpacka's typically - but then my hiking is probably not the same as this forum. I do a lot of high country lake fishing; so carry the boat the entire way in and out. The PR would be too much for me for that.

dekartes

FNG
And as far as the cargo fly... Those zippers are bomber and are on most of Alpacka's boats now. They do affect overall bulk as it is much more difficult to tightly roll the boat. I have one on my Fjord Explorer and opted to not have one on my Explorer 42. Anyway.