I’ll Pack an Alpacka Packraft ***Review Added 10/4/20***

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
072dadf6b9a59a02aa513041b6d0ba35.jpg

I stored my gear inside the boat on the first trip and set all me gear on the outside the second trip. Both setups road great.

83bfcee39ecfb6515049a5b4b4f48315.jpg

Obviously the Ranger is a smidge bigger than the other Alpacka. A tool for every job.

f930c0124273cf2e1ea2a94dcf775eff.jpg

Stashed them in a tree while hunting.

0eedc7270cd306672393b1b49d1d7756.jpg

It was a great trip and I’ll be using the more in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
This has to be one of the weirdest threads I’ve read in over 20 years of reading hunting forums. I don’t know if this is a thread about a guy super excited to use a packraft or if it’s marketing thread for alpacka. Regardless it’s weird as Fock.

alpackas are cute. I have a pr 49.
it's both. That's what we do on Rokslide, preview and review gear. Where you been? There's dozens of threads going on like this at a time. The sponsor takes the risk of having gear reviewed in near real time with no editing, members get a chance to provide feedback and answer questions. Makes for a better final review.

NUGGET

WKR
it's both. That's what we do on Rokslide, preview and review gear. Where you been? There's dozens of threads going on like this at a time. The sponsor takes the risk of having gear reviewed in near real time with no editing, members get a chance to provide feedback and answer questions. Makes for a better final review.
That’s the thing. When most people review something they say it’s a review. This just came across as a really bad...ad. But nevertheless alpacka is legit and I enjoyed this thread and......review? 🤙

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Review will hopefully be done by the end of the week and submitted for editing.
There’s a lot of information. Huge learning curve. The only limitation for a packraft seems to be my imagination. The opportunities are nearly endless. It was a blast!

Mt Al

WKR
Great review and the raft you tested might be the perfect size for one person and a critter. I've built a few DIY packrafts, love to use them and will build more, but the Alpackas are worth every penny: better/more consistent seam-to-fabric contact being built on taping machines, don't have to chase leaks and they do seem to have more rugged fabric. You might have just sold a Ranger, or maybe a Forager. Curse you.

Not trying to be the safety police, but did either of you use a PFD? Foam ones are light, but bulky to haul into the mountains. I took an old CO2 operated one, took off the CO2 cartridge and use the manual inflate/deflate. There are also snorkel vests on Amazon that are pretty light and packable. By bringing up this topic, I'm clearly a morally superior human being.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haha!
Yes. The Ranger has one inflatable seat but as I tried to demonstrate, you could fit an extra person or a dog or whatever.

(Sheepishly) No. We did not have PFD’s but we should have. The water was smooth and placid and we paddled together, so we were never far from a helper if needed.

[mention]Mt Al [/mention] will you keep me/us posted on what you decide to do? I do know that Alpacka will be releasing a new air pump next year. Approx 1 lb.

Mt Al

WKR
Haha!
Yes. The Ranger has one inflatable seat but as I tried to demonstrate, you could fit an extra person or a dog or whatever.

(Sheepishly) No. We did not have PFD’s but we should have. The water was smooth and placid and we paddled together, so we were never far from a helper if needed.

[mention]Mt Al [/mention] will you keep me/us posted on what you decide to do? I do know that Alpacka will be releasing a new air pump next year. Approx 1 lb.

Will do if I buy one. I don't have a dog in the fight but hope Alpacka benefits from sponsorship of this site. I know my outdoor experiences have hugely benefited from having a few packrafts: didn't need a trailer, fit anywhere, kids have a ball with them, can fish from them but they do suck in a high wind.

For pumps: Can't wait to see what Alpacka comes up with. In the mean time, check out the Giga Pump on Amazon. Sounds like a jet engine but fills the raft quickly. I also bought a Thermarest NeoAir micro pump. Lighter, smaller, quieter and slower than the Giga pump. I always have my inflation bag as a backup, plus patch kit, etc.

I put a Big Agnes 20x66 sleeping pad for the bottom and a backpack pillow for the seat. Really helps with buoyancy with a heavy pack up front.

I'm guilty of not using my PFD sometimes even when I bring it, can't cast the first stone!

If anyone is seriously interested in carrying in ~15-20 lbs of raft and accompanying equipment, they really should consider the Pristine Ventures PR 49. After using mine for about 5 years, I think Larry Bartlett's design takes the packraft idea to a higher level. For a little bit more extra weight, it gains a lot of durability, functionality, and carrying capacity. I've brought out half of a monster bull moose (avatar photo) while my brother brought out the other half on his PR49, and this season I brought out an entire spike fork bull moose with ease in class 1. With those loads, I was the weak link paddling that amount of mass. A stronger paddler would have no issue in class 2 water for sure. I think a strong paddler with a smaller animal plus gear could easily navigate class 3. Besides the capacity, when I've floated alongside someone in an Alpacka, the load seems much more stable in the PR49. The Alpacka appeared like it was top heavy and could tip over pretty easily, probably due to its narrower width. Perhaps the best feature of the raft, however, is the elevated seated position to be able to see a lot more of the river ahead to see any obstacles and navigating the best line.

I don't have any relationship with Pristine Ventures, I have just had great experience with my raft and after reading this thread, I think a lot of people don't know some of the limitations of an ultralight packraft designed for just a small to moderate backpacking load vs a hunting purpose built packraft by a serious and creative hunter.

Edit to add: It also makes a perfectly sized packraft for two with light packs just for fun adventures.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. Thanks for sharing

Clarktar

WKR
Can't recommend the PR49 more. I haven't floated moose out in mine (yet) but have floated out deer and a passenger. Great design and a even better person. Plus @Larry Bartlett is a sponsor on here bad has provided some of the best customer service around.

Not trying to derail thread just wanted to toss in .02 based on the previous comment.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can order a dozen small discs with nylon loops from Alpacka, to glue on some critical lashing points on the bow and middrift. That'll pimp the Alpacka's out close to a hunting rig. Without 'em you're just making do and also sitting in the hull on the floor. Neither are ideal places for warmth and paddling comfort...but the tie down points will enhance your harvest transport success. Obviously you didn;t need them on your trip, but future ones when you add meat...

sharp rigs and light.

tdot

WKR
For those looking for a pump. My hunting partner pulled out a Kokopelli electric pump to inflate his Forager. It was so stupid easy, fast and light, that I will definitely be grabbing one when I pick up a packraft.

It could also be used to suck the last of the air from the tubes, to decrease the rolled size. Made a noticeable difference on the finished package size we had to transport.

Mt Al

WKR
For those looking for a pump. My hunting partner pulled out a Kokopelli electric pump to inflate his Forager. It was so stupid easy, fast and light, that I will definitely be grabbing one when I pick up a packraft.

It could also be used to suck the last of the air from the tubes, to decrease the rolled size. Made a noticeable difference on the finished package size we had to transport.

Got the same pump labeled as the Giga Pump on Amazon. It's awesome, fast, small. It's filled up my 2 person packraft and Big Agnes floor five times so far this year with no recharge. So worth the money!

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The PR49 looks like a great boat. Does it have internal storage as well? Like Alpacka’s TiZip?

Forgive me if my “boat lingo” isn’t up to snuff, but you get what I’m asking right?

The PR49 looks like a great boat. Does it have internal storage as well? Like Alpacka’s TiZip?

Forgive me if my “boat lingo” isn’t up to snuff, but you get what I’m asking right?

As in a bottom center compartment protected from getting wet? . . . no.

It may be handy, though I have never needed more space out of the water than across the deck netting on my PR49. If I think things could get wet up there I just pack a tarp around it all.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can order a dozen small discs with nylon loops from Alpacka, to glue on some critical lashing points on the bow and middrift. That'll pimp the Alpacka's out close to a hunting rig. Without 'em you're just making do and also sitting in the hull on the floor. Neither are ideal places for warmth and paddling comfort...but the tie down points will enhance your harvest transport success. Obviously you didn;t need them on your trip, but future ones when you add meat...

sharp rigs and light.

[mention]Larry Bartlett [/mention] There are 14 lashing points on the Ranger. Are these what you were referring to or were you talking about something else? Honest question. Not being sarcastic. I’m not a boat guy so I’m learning as I go.
e8a53850dfddc9bb2ed7e9d2f174b32a.jpg

7d7dc0790fee7b5eb6665d4c731925b5.jpg

The 4 on the front and the 4 on the rear are nylon straps and the 6 in the middle are D-loops.

I assumed that some of these are for a rope, like you’d find on a full sized raft.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
As in a bottom center compartment protected from getting wet? . . . no.

It may be handy, though I have never needed more space out of the water than across the deck netting on my PR49. If I think things could get wet up there I just pack a tarp around it all.

No sir. The Ranger (and most Alpacka/Kokopelli rafts) actually zip open and becomes a massive dry sack. So you have a lower CG and more room in the boat.
8a60a56152479f4afa96d8543fc1e0cb.jpg