"I'll take it" then ask questions later?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
People these days seem to make things more complicated than they are or need to be. If you miss out on an item, or it becomes more trouble than it should be (for the buyer or the seller), then it's probably for the best to walk away. No biggie.

I think it is up to the seller to determine how they want to handle it. Some prefer to deal with each person in chronological order and others prefer to sell to the first that will pay. For me it depends on the site that I am dealing with. If I'm selling something on craigslist, I will sell to the first person to show up and pay me, regardless of contact order. Too many people back out of craigslist transactions to deal with the order. If it's a forum like this it is easier to deal with people since they usually follow through, but I would still sell to the first person to tell me they want it and that they are sending the funds.

When buying, I almost always have questions to verify the condition of the item or details of the sale. I understand that somebody else could buy it out from under me and it does happen sometimes. That's just the way it goes.

sndmn11

WKR
When you guys say you commit to buying something but still have questions, the "but" is contrary to a commitment. "But" means that you have qualifiers and are leaving the door open for a way out. In other words, you are on the fence.

I had one of these situations two months ago when i sold some clothing and the buyer pm’ed me the “I’ll take it” didn’t ask any other questions about the items condition. We arranged payment and shipping then he got the item and was mad about the condition of the item received and wanted a refund. I wasn’t going to squander over a dispute with him but as a buyer it should also be their responsibility to ask questions to make sure the quality of the item is what you expect, especially when your buying used gear with an ad written stating the items condition and pictures. I gladly refunded him and he mailed back the items but didn’t mean i was happy about it when there wasn’t a dialogue exchanged ahead of time. I suppose when you’re selling used gear a handful of times per year it’s bound to happen where someone isn’t happy. Was my first experience with this kind of situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
In 10+ years I’ve bought and sold more shit than I care to remember. I’ve had exactly ONE bad transaction that involved a 2x7 Leupold I bought that sounded like it had BB’s in it. PM’d the guy about it and his response was basically “well, you can ship it back for a refund or ship it to Leupold, either way you gotta ship it somewhere”

So....two tears in a bucket and I was out a whopping $12. New guy on ignore and moved on.

Sounds like a lot of sour grapes for guys that “missed a deal”

Anyway, it’s just shit.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
... and here I thought this thread was referencing guys drawing tags in areas they had no clue about....

I agree with the majority, “I’ll take it” should mean just that; however, I don’t have a problem with the “I’ll take it, pending...”. But those who claim it to be first in line, and then follow up with a bunch of general questions get passed over pretty quickly.

Ucsdryder

WKR
First guy asking for PayPal gets it. If someone says he’ll take it I’ll usually give him the rest of the day to respond because shit happens.

wyosteve

WKR
I ran into somewhat of an opposite scenario recently on a different forum, i.e. a seller who changed the terms after we made a deal. Bottom line, he agreed to take a check from me and I was going to mail it the next day. He apparently felt he was selling too cheap and wanted me to get him the funds quickly, claiming he had other buyers local to him. I wanted the item, so I Fed Ex'ed the check overnight, but cost an extra $40 to do it that way. As someone else mentioned, he went into the 'ignore' bin!

I’ve had it go both ways when selling. I’ve had people say they’ll take it only to back out. And, I’ve had people say they’ll take it to only spend days asking questions that were answered in the selling post. One guy stands out. I still smile when I think about it.

A guy say he’d take the pack I was selling. I sent him PayPal info and requested he let me know when he sent funds. Didn’t hear from him for over a day. In that time, had three others say they’d take it. I informed them it was already sold.

Anyways, 30 hours after telling me he’d take it, he sends me a message asking for more pics. I informed him there were six pics from all angles and further pics weren’t needed to confirm it’s condition. He then asks about the suspension size, belt size, year of make, and if I had ever packed meat with it. I went along Informing him all those variables had been addressed in the original post. But, by day three of this, I Had tired of his antics and went well beyond my responsibilities to honor this sale. I informed him I was going to sell the pack to someone else.

I contacted the second “I’ll take it” and sold it to him. The first guy contacted me shortly after doing so and said he’d take it. For the second time! Man was the first guy pissed when I told him he missed out. I asked him if he thought I was lying when I told him I was tired of his games

But, he did it to himself.

That was a long story but, it makes me so happy thinking about it. I just had to share it.

Anyways, the first “ I’ll take it” on the thread is who it belongs to in my mind. And, it should be a binding agreement when this happens. If you have questions, ask them but, if someone comes along and says they will take it before you do, then you lost out. It’s justthe way I do things. I’m honest and direct. And expect that from others. And, my word is my bond.

vanish

WKR
I think something like "i'll take it pending it has a 26 inch barrel" is perfectly reasonable.

Sometimes the seller leaves out important details, and in this case the buyer is still committed. If it is, you sell it to them and everyone is happy. If the barrel was not 26 inches, you move on to the next person and everyone is happy.

Now, tweak it slightly to "I'll take it" and then when you send payment info, the buyer asks "Does this have a 26 inch barrel?" and that is a different story.

I'll post "I'll take it if you take PayPal Merchandise sales". That means full price. "I'll take it always means full price."

If the seller posts a good add, this will all be specified in his first post.

BFR

WKR
I’m old school, if you say I’ll take it, it’s yours IF you pay asking price and in a timely manner. If you say then ask a question or offer less than asked, I then interpret I’ll take it to I’m interested but... and will sell it to first $. If I’m buying and have questions I’ll ask first, if it sells to someone else first I’m good with that.

paxamus

WKR
I’ll piggy back off this with something I’ve been seeing all too frequently on here. You post something with a clear price and someone posts some low ball offer on the thread instead of PMing the seller. That drives me nuts, I don’t mind a PM with an offer, but I’ve recently had the “What’s your lowest bottom dollar you will take?” -

I just don’t respond to keep my blood pressure under control!

But back to the OP- yes I agree, if you post “I’ll take it”- then it’s yours. Should ask questions before committing.

I try to be a good steward of the Classifieds and take the transactions on here very seriously- in all I have had really good luck.

And by the way- had a transaction with the OP and he’s a good dude to deal with!

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
I think that some "PM sent" posts are to discourage other potential buyers while not fully committing with an "I'll take it" while questions or price negotiations are being answered. I know that when I see the "PM sent" I think that someone beat me to the deal and typically move on.

sndmn11

WKR
I think that some "PM sent" posts are to discourage other potential buyers while not fully committing with an "I'll take it" while questions or price negotiations are being answered. I know that when I see the "PM sent" I think that someone beat me to the deal and typically move on.

Good post!

(Directed at anyone)
If Bob says "pm sent" and one minute later Mike says "I'll take it", both on the public thread, who gets it?

Good post!

(Directed at anyone)
If Bob says "pm sent" and one minute later Mike says "I'll take it", both on the public thread, who gets it?
I’d say Mike since he said he will take it first. Assuming he pays ASAP also.

OP
westonadkins
Good post!

(Directed at anyone)

That was the situation that I was at least trying to describe in the original post. Seems most guys are saying it's up to the seller, which makes sense. I always go in chronological order but others do it where they give it to the first "I'll take it."

Not here but on mewe and Facebook I’ve listed stuff to sell. In the ad I state text is best. Usually I’m not getting bombarded but I sold a motorcycle for cheap back in April. I had over 100 messages. First guy to text me ended up buying but the first guy that said I’ll take it offered me $300 less. He was pissed when I declined his offer. Lots of guys offered me more money that I listed it at, so they could jump in front of the guy that bought.
Ultimately, I don’t care what a seller does. I try to do chronological order, but sometimes I just don’t get a good vibe from a buyer. Their profile is suspect and I move along. I don’t mind holding. But my last hold was a month (guy was deployed to Iraq, and then his two week quarantine) and the guy backed out. Kind of sucked, but oh well. I’ll post the boat again at a higher price and not give a mutual friend a discount.