Illuminated vs non

Going to be pulling the trigger on a couple scopes for my new rifles. Made up my mind on scopes. Both will be Leupold mrk5 hd. One 5-25×56 and one 3.6-18×44. These will be double duty rifles. Range and hunting. Do I spend the extra 800 ish (400 per scope) and get the illuminated reticle or save my money. I know I probably wont use it but I come back to the what ifs... Would it potentially cost me a animal of a life time... Im leaning towards just doing it but 800 bucks is still a chunk of money and could buy another fun toy. Love to hear your opinions and experiences. Thanks!

Gdavis3rd

FNG
i spent the extra for illum on my mk5. just in case get that shot of a lifetime in low light.

George Davis
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I opted for non illum on my 3.6-18. I feel that if it’s so dark I can’t see my reticle it’s too dark to be shooting anyways. My vortex razor has it and I’ve never turned it on besides testing that it works.

AceRifles

FNG
I ran a scope with ill for several years. Never once used it on a hunt other that a night coyote hunt. I'd say just add it to what ever scope will be used for hunting. I've sold a ton of MK 5s and usually put them on our builds. Most guys go without. The glass on them is so clean that if you cant see the reticle without ill, then its probably way past legal shooting light for big game hunting anyways.

OP
O
Thanks everyone for the input so far! Maybe I will go without? Like many have said it will probably never be used and I havent used it in the past when ive had it... Leupold is proud of their illumination on these things.

skierhs

WKR
I have and do use it, particularly while bear hunting around sun set/rise. I have found it lets me use 100% of legal shooting light and I never am concerned about loosing where my reticle is. It’s not a absolute need but if it’s a option then I strongly suggest it.

Totoro

WKR
I have used illum feature twice on my NFs over the last 5 years.

Once for a follow up shot at near end of shooting light on a whopper muley and once still hunting in the thick for hogs.

IMO, better to have and not need then need and not have.

Miahjera

FNG
For me, it is not actually about low light scenarios, but it actually helps me focus on the reticle quicker. I'm not sure if it's just my eyes, but I have a hard time getting those this cross hairs in focus quickly. My eyes always want to focus on the target. I've moved my scope, and adjusted everything there is to adjust with no success. The illuminated reticle seems to help me focus when it really counts.

OP
O
Thanks everyone for the input. Ended up ordering all 4 without illumination... Ive had them for a few days. Been playing with them and in hoping I made the right decision. They are very clear and easy to use on all power so far. Time will tell once i can really put them to use. In the end 400 bucks per scope for ill was pretty extreme IMO.

I bought one with illumination and quickly replaced it for one without. The red dots are not precise enough for me. Hunting I think this would be fine, but punching paper I didn't like it. Love the scope overall though!

VernAK

WKR
Here in AK, we don't have shooting hours so I do like to have an illuminated reticle on some scopes. Moose often don't respond well to a call when its warm but as soon as the sun goes behind a mountain, they will often come to the call. It's not necessary to have a large red dot. I like the green dots on Trijicons and the green triangle post on lower power Trijicons.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Here in AK, we don't have shooting hours so I do like to have an illuminated reticle on some scopes. Moose often don't respond well to a call when its warm but as soon as the sun goes behind a mountain, they will often come to the call. It's not necessary to have a large red dot. I like the green dots on Trijicons and the green triangle post on lower power Trijicons.

My thoughts exactly, in fact I have a nightforce shv 3-10 with the illuminated force Plex on the way.

highstepper

Lil-Rokslider
In my part of the world hogs don't often move until right at or after dark. An illuminated reticle comes in awful handy on a black animal in shadow at last light or later.