i'm a grown man, and i am nervous. like public speaking nervous!

boom

WKR
wow, this is unexpected.

i am going elk hunting Dec 19th. Unit 34 in New Mexico. i packed all my hunt gear early, but i did realize i forgot to PACK MY BROADHEADS!! gah!

i still have to pack my "street clothes" and all the Christmas gifts for family.

i am actually nervous. its a culmination of things. it has been a decade since i drew a NM tag - this is the first time going bowhunting as a left hand shooter!, this might be the first time i hunt in snow, first time hunting unit 34.. my first bowhunt for elk!!...the list goes on.

the hunt's last day is Christmas day. my wife is very supportive, but i know she is a bit anxious spending time with my mom solo. just her and our dog with my mom for days and days. i need to buy flowers and shoes and purses and chocolates.

i hope and pray i get to come to full draw on a legal elk. my brother drew the same tag, so at least there is that.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Too funny. We are the same way! So nervous for every hunt...that:
- we may not see a single animal
- that we'll suck at stalking
- miss a shot (rifle)
- wound an animal
- get skunked
- come home with nothin'
Good luck on your awesome hunt and don't worry. Rarely do all of the above happen.

TBHasler

WKR
I envy that feeling...you'll figure out how to repay the wife...maybe let her pick the next trip.
Best of luck on the trip & hunt.

OP
B

boom

WKR
I envy that feeling...you'll figure out how to repay the wife...maybe let her pick the next trip.
Best of luck on the trip & hunt.

thanks everyone.

i am going to Taiwan late feb to visit my inlaws.. luckily, i get back right before the turkey opener.. haha.

Don't worry about your wife, she'll have the dog to protect her.

On a more serious note, best of luck!

This is a tough hunt. If snow hasn't flew yet, no reason for them to be low. The terrain isn't all that tough. Although the timber can be thick. Keep on the move and you will find them. There are plenty of elk in those hills. ;) Good luck!

jspradley

WKR
I was in Unit 37 real close by over the past week and didn't see a single bull!

Unit 34 is target rich for elk though, you drew a heck of a tag! I've been there three times but never with a bull tag in my pocket.

Hit me up if you need some info about the area!