I'm calling out CPW, change my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdhanses

WKR
Blows my mind how some could careless for others because they want to do what they want. Maybe if people weren’t so dumb and starting fires or tossing cigarettes and used some common sense then it wouldn’t be an issue, unfortunately that isn’t our society.

This isn’t a political loss of right issue, it’s a lack of decency and respect for others issue. If my hunt gets canceled it gets canceled, not the end of the world.

jspradley

WKR
My fix, instead of closures...I would like to see more resources devoted to forrest management, better enforcement of burn bans, stiffer penalties for those in violation, etc.

More regulations/closures are not always the answer...More enforcement of current regulations could be.

That's 100% the answer but it won't help us right now with the resources we have unfortunately.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I need apologize for starting a post without providing enough context or fully stating where I’m coming from on this. I’m not against reasonable closures such as the ones put into place near the major fires. This one IMO is very selective on very small pieces of state land surrounded by national forest and private property. If this was done in conjunction with the NF in the area then I would fully support it as there’s many homes in the areas. Currently there is no closures of the forest surrounding the swa, so if some jackass starts a fire in the surrounding nf what did this closure accomplish? Remember the three areas mentioned are a fraction of the total amount of land in the area.

Well most of us along the front range don't share your opinion. We're fighting the largest fire in Colorado HISTORY PERIOD

Colorado native born and raised on the front range and I have never seen my entire life seen fire season this bad - Sorry not sorry screw your passions this is where we live these are our homes these are our wildlife this is our lifestyle.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Well technically recorded human history😜

I need apologize for starting a post without providing enough context or fully stating where I’m coming from on this. I’m not against reasonable closures such as the ones put into place near the major fires. This one IMO is very selective on very small pieces of state land surrounded by national forest and private property. If this was done in conjunction with the NF in the area then I would fully support it as there’s many homes in the areas. Currently there is no closures of the forest surrounding the swa, so if some jackass starts a fire in the surrounding nf what did this closure accomplish? Remember the three areas mentioned are a fraction of the total amount of land in the area.
I'm not 100% certain I know where you're coming from on this so forgive me if I'm not reading this correctly;

I'm pretty certain the national Park service is closing down national Forest service land - this was just a quick snapshot or Google search that I did.

Specifically what came up is in direct relation to the Cameron peaks fire and the Granby fire - but I'm fairly certain there are other restrictions on the other side of the western slope as well.

Bottom line with as much fuel as there is currently on our forest floor and is warm and as dry as it is...... Colorado does not have the resources for another fire and all closures and all restrictions are absolutely 100% warranted.

The above statement is not an opinion - straight financial resources and manpower.

f307f6968d87d0b4716ec8d30454a5ac.jpg

Last edited:
OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stop the name calling if you can't argue the point without doing it then just stop posting.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Feel free to lock this. It’s not going anywhere and I take full responsibility for not setting a good tone to start with.

I didn't lose a hunting season. But I have lost my home to a natural disaster, have you?..Doubt it. We lost the majority of the homes in town actually. So don't lecture me about empathy. You just want to guilt trip and name call.

Fires are a natural and sometimes unnatural part of life. We can disagree on what may or may not be effective ways to deal with that risk. I personally think that shutting down NFs that are NOT burning is a slippery slope for our future.

My fix, instead of closures...I would like to see more resources devoted to forrest management, better enforcement of burn bans, stiffer penalties for those in violation, etc.

More regulations/closures are not always the answer...More enforcement of current regulations could be.
I actually totally agree. And I live in an extreme fire danger area.
If you're not going to inforce whats in the books already no since in making new laws or rules.

Phaseolus

WKR
Stay inside Gilligan, wear your mask Gilligan, dont go in the woods Gilligan...be a good boy, Gilligan.

The OPs post referenced several NFs closed that have ZERO fires burning in them. Zip, nada. zilch. I have no problem shutting down access to areas actually affected by fires. Dont give me your BS guilt trip by trying to say that because I oppose arbitrarily closing down NFs that I somehow don't feel for those who have been effected by tragedy.
Not all Forests in Colorado are closed, in fact it it far from that. The forests that are closed are all in the fire zone. Vandy, you must not be from Colorado because you seem very unaware of what the situation is like here. This is far from a normal year since we have had the three largest fires in Colorado history this year.

Gilligan, The National Park Service does not have the ability to close National Forests, they are two very different agencies.

TheGDog

WKR
Can someone please explain to me... how wanting access to our public lands... is somehow not showing "pity" towards some other person? I'm having a hard time connecting those dots there.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Here’s a link to a last minute closure to a few swa. The statement claims high fire danger but there’s not a fire close enough for concern. If there was a threatening fire why is there not an evacuation notice for residents? Also a snow storm is coming in 24 hours. I call bs, change my mind. https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pag...VvzJ4az3Z_-Q7hOhWeKWpBgKROGcX8aJndKAuvBnxk5uk
High fire danger has nothing to do with there being a fire, it refers to the risk of a fire due to a combination of factors to include: humidity, wind, temperature, atmospheric layers, water content in fuel, fuel distribution, topography, Etc. Managers also have to take resources into account; is there a reserve that can respond to new fires, or are local resources already deployed on current fires?

Considering how many fires are started by outdoor recreationist, to include hunters, I cannot blame them for shutting down the areas to "all public access." Some are started by down right negligence, improperly extinguished camp fires, a dropped a cigarette butt. Some by vehicle engines, and I have personally put out a fire caused by a 5.56 round on San Clemente Island.

Here is the definition. "Fire Danger – The resultant descriptor of the combination of both constant and variable factors that affect the initiation, spread, and difficulty of control of wildfires on an area."

Here is a resource if you actually want to learn something. https://www.nwcg.gov/sites/default/files/products/pms932.pdf

Here is a fire map.

Everyone who is complaining about freedom needs to go get their Red Card and actually do something about the issue.

MattB

WKR
Can someone please explain to me... how wanting access to our public lands... is somehow not showing "pity" towards some other person? I'm having a hard time connecting those dots there.
No, because no one is suggesting that and - frankly - I can't even conceive of how pity would come into the discussion. Common sense on the other hand....

TheGDog

WKR
No, because no one is suggesting that and - frankly - I can't even conceive of how pity would come into the discussion. Common sense on the other hand....
Looks like the guy went back and edited his post afterward. anyhoo.. yes... somebody did use those words, hence the reason I "quoted" it.

Well most of us along the front range don't share your opinion. We're fighting the largest fire in Colorado HISTORY PERIOD

Colorado native born and raised on the front range and I have never seen my entire life seen fire season this bad - Sorry not sorry screw your passions this is where we live these are our homes these are our wildlife this is our lifestyle.

Kinda understand your sentiment. But, I feel the same way. Your choice of residence is on you. My access to public lands shouldn’t be affected by it.

Everyone who is complaining about freedom needs to go get their Red Card and actually do something about the issue.
A well written response. I wonder how many people on this thread have been, or currently are, qual’d wildland firefighters who have actually fought a fire.

I was on two fires this year caused by human negligence that burned up homes, cabins, cattle, fence, property, forests, and injured firefighters. Hunters not properly extinguishing warming fires. Most hunters are good about that, but it only takes one person being complacent to get people hurt or killed when fire conditions are such that a fire can start and grow.

Temporary fire closures don’t last forever, but there’s no fixing a killed or seriously injured firefighter.

Bunch of whiny beeches..

3 record breaking fires, in 4 months, and you’re crying.

Call CPW, no one cares about your opinion.

Kinda understand your sentiment. But, I feel the same way. Your choice of residence is on you. My access to public lands shouldn’t be affected by it.
When the resources are spread so thin that you can't fight another fire......
When the risk is far greater than any of the reward....
When caution is the better part of valor....

sometimes an individual has to sacrifice some of their rights in order for society to retain theirs..

I just don't understand why this is such a tough concept

Jkr61

FNG
Our “Rights” are not infinite- at times they are suspended for the safety of people around us.

You have freedom of speech but can’t yell fire in a crowded building because of the danger of panic.
A beach can be closed because of a riptide or algae bloom.
And a forest can be closed because of all the dangers that have been mentioned above.

It seems to me when some people go on and on about their rights they forget that rights come with responsibility. To themselves their neighbors and their fellow man. The forest is closed come help out or go hunt somewhere else or even stay home. It’s your choice you have that freedom.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

I have tried hard to think of a way in which this comparison is unfair, but the more I think about it, the more apt the comparison shows itself to be. This argument is like arguing drunk driving should be legal; both in the depth of its irresponsibility and the breadth of either ignorance or callouses disregard for ones fellow citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.