I'm I the only one who fears a solo hunt...

16Bore

WKR
I’ll make it easy. Yes, I’m a Rinella fan. Early Rinella.....before all the drama.

So listen to the opening quote from (I think) the first or second New Zealand Hunt.

“when heading out for a mountain hunt.....”

Once you hear the whole thing, you’ll have a different perspective.

Damn, I miss that early stuff...

I think you will really enjoy hunting by yourself as long as you are careful. Make sure you get a garmin inreach satellite text system to communicate with if you get into trouble. I just purchased a garmin 66i and I really like it. I find a peace I can not find elsewhere in this world when I am on the mountain alone. Just be extra careful in grizzly country.

Short and sweet answer for me is those sounds in the night get a little more attention grabbing in grizzly country. Multiply that a few times in said country (for me), in the dark, packing out a bit of bloody meat.
Anyone that doesnt devote a great deal of their attention to bears in bear country is a way tougher (or...) man than me.
Yes, it's a great part psychological... But when youve had a few close encounters with bears in the daylight, you realize the dark only emboldens them and diminishes your strengths.
If you arent in bear country, your imagination should drop way off.

Best of luck, our fears are "generally" 1000% less than reallity. "Generally" hahahaha
Pic by my little brother, our family moose camp...a common sight most mornings. You generally don't see them, but they see you...

10688296_814656758574013_4393764877959529977_o.jpg

I’ll make it easy. Yes, I’m a Rinella fan. Early Rinella.....before all the drama.

So listen to the opening quote from (I think) the first or second New Zealand Hunt.

“when heading out for a mountain hunt.....”

Once you hear the whole thing, you’ll have a different perspective.

Damn, I miss that early stuff...

What drama ?

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Simply something you have to get used to each time will get more comfortable both mentally and physically be sure you pad is good and your bag warm enough and eventually you sleep like a baby👍
Definetly agree. Make sure your comfortable the first few times. If your cold or your not used to sleeping on the ground it will just make things harder. Also I wouldn’t worry about hunting as hard as you can. Take time to enjoy it. Take your time, enjoy your coffee.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't even fear the Corona Virus, so I'm certainly not going to fear hunting solo. It came natural for me. I've always had a drive for exploring since I learned to walk. My parents said they just about had to lock me up because I'd be gone in a millisecond if they even turned around. When I was 7 we moved further out into the country on some acreage and I'd disappear for the entire day down in the river bottom. So when I got older, transitioning over to the mountains while solo wasn't a big deal. Just go.

Back in 1994 I took a solo British Columbia trip for a month. I camped the entire time and only saw other humans a few times that whole month. I spent 10+ hours a day fly fishing most days.......time flies when you're busy and/or sleeping.

I raised my girls to be very independent as well, and my oldest took a 9 week trip to Chile on her own two years ago when she was 19. That's my girl.

Last edited:
You nailed it. The first few nights every sound you hear makes you think some crazy stuff. When your mind quits messing with you, it becomes absolute peace and super relaxing. Nothing like doing exactly what you want at exactly your pace.

HuntHarder describes it perfectly (above). First couple nights every little russle in the bush is a mountain lion or lost crack addict or Native skin walker. Then you get over it and experience something unique...and unforgettable.

Like others have said, be smart and don't take unnecessary risks. Bring a personal locator beacon of some stripe. I like my Inreach because of the text capabilities, real time tracking for family, and backup GPS.

Maverick1

WKR
Just look at it from a do or don’t perspective. If the choices are to go solo or stay at home.....it’s a very simple choice. Go. As many others have stated, you can have a great experience solo!

I started tagging along on deer hunts when I was 4 years old, then occasionally sitting with Dad once a season or so until I could actually hunt at the age of 12. I liked it so much that when I got my drivers license at the age of 16 I started going solo when he couldn’t go because of work or other commitments. As the years went on it just evolved until I go solo all the time now. Prefer it that way!

Went in my first couple of elk hunts with a group of guys and had a blast. When they couldn’t go because the timing didn’t work out, there was no hesitation on my end. I just went solo and have been doing it that way for the last decade+. Send it!

For me Solo hunting was a circumstantial necessity. There is a learning curve, mostly in prep and what to bring for ugly break downs at night and difficult pack outs in deep. Once you are in the back woods, being aware that you are alone is only part of the equation. Having everything you need to successfully break down anywhere anytime. Having correct and enough lighting, dual water options, GPS/maps etc to eliminate any concerns with those logistical issues is key to keeping the brain free to enjoy the care free roaming at your pace and choice.

tsm213

FNG
I think it’s pretty normal to be freaked out. I can’t comment on back country or hunting in grizzly country but you need to come to the realization that men are the most dangerous thing on the planet especially with a gun. That’s what I tell my kids when we go in the bush. I hunt with a bow only. No guns. We got a very healthy population of wolves black bears and cougars here. Never had an issue in over 25 year’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnOyster

WKR
It’s above all my favorite way to hunt or go hunting, 1400 miles one way and it’s all on me, do what you want , see what you want go where you want to go without worrying about another opinion, set up camp by yourself, stay out as long as you want, the part I hate the most is the day I have to leave and come home, I know its gonna be another year before I can do it again.

my only negative for you is : if your that afraid of being out there alone then you prolly shouldn’t go alone....nothing wrong with that, but like everything else it’s not for everyone..

FLAK

WKR
HuntHarder describes it perfectly (above). First couple nights every little russle in the bush is a mountain lion or lost crack addict or Native skin walker. Then you get over it and experience something unique...and unforgettable.

Like others have said, be smart and don't take unnecessary risks. Bring a personal locator beacon of some stripe. I like my Inreach because of the text capabilities, real time tracking for family, and backup GPS.

Ok, now I'm worried about those "Skin Walkers", was not aware they were out there.
thats just creepy.

I hunt alone because I dont have anyone to go with me, other than my wife when she draws a tag. You wont hear a lot of people say they cant do it but there is no question that being on the mountain alone is not for everyone. There are some pretty good stories I have read here about people cracking after a couple of days and having to go home. You may love it, you may hate it. Thats just the mental part. Packing out an elk alone sucks and will test you in ways you have never experienced.

Rmauch20

WKR
I haven’t been in grizzly country so that might matter a little bit. I prefer it. I am a bit of a introvert in day to day life any way. I am in the planning mode of a 6 person hunt out of the country hunt and I have already decided never again. This person doesn’t like this guy so we can’t ask them to go. Some want to leave early, some stay longer. Already had three people agree to go then back out.

Take a InReach, double check your gear before you leave home and before you set off on the trail and enjoy your self. I truly enjoy hearing nothing at all.

pick up a small radio, mine is the size of a phone. it helps pass time.
the more you do it, the easier it becomes. also, get the brightest head lamp you can afford. that way, you can lighter up and still have your hands.

Fear....and it's almost always fear of the unknown....stops many people from doing things they might love. Fear is definitely NOT irrational as long as there is the subjective possibility of danger. Fear is a generally useful emotion in terms of self-preservation. You'd expect anyone to be afraid the first time they jump out of a plane....doesn't matter if they're wearing 3 parachutes and a bounce suit.

Let's be honest. Some people don't belong on a solo hunt, simply because they won't enjoy it. Unless they have a desire to experience it or test themselves, why even try it? There's nothing to prove....or there shouldn't be anyway. You're not more or less of a hunter for going solo or partnered up. Bravery has nothing to do with it. If you don't already love your time alone doing other things, there's very little chance you'll love being alone for many days on a hunt. Hunting solo (as in multiple nights out) should probably be approached the same way you'd learn to swim. Don't jump in deep or go far....get comfortable and have some fun before challenging yourself.

I've always had a bit of 'want to be alone' in me from childhood. At age 12 I could hunt all day by myself, or spend the day fishing with nobody in sight. I have always been able to drive or ride 500 miles in a day without listening to anything except the hum of an engine and the thoughts in my head. I won't bore anyone with more of my own qualifications. I'll just say that I truly and honestly get an incomparable feeling of being alive and inspired when I'm far from humanity and responsible for myself in all ways. I am in awe of being there....on foot and very small....while watching 3 wolves hunt, a grizzly dig, or a bull seeking the company of my calls. The measure of satisfaction I get from it is almost impossible to explain.

BIY11sdl.jpg