I'm I the only one who fears a solo hunt...

rob86jeep

WKR
So, I have a few friends/family members who love to go hunting with me (either on their tag or mine) but for some reason I have this strong desire to do a solo, backcountry, hunt. The funny thing is, even through I have the strong desire for it, the thought of it scares the shit out of me. Am I the only one that thinks it will be a nightmare to spend several night's alone in the backcountry or is it just something that seems scary because I haven't had a chance to tackle it yet...?

The reason I ask is I always hear of people who prefer to hunt solo. I'm just wondering if it's something you learn to love after doing it (and getting over the fear) or something that some people are just accustomed to from the start..

brsnow

WKR
So, I have a few friends/family members who love to go hunting with me (either on their tag or mine) but for some reason I have this strong desire to do a solo, backcountry, hunt. The funny thing is, even through I have the strong desire for it, the thought of it scares the shit out of me. Am I the only one that thinks it will be a nightmare to spend several night's alone in the backcountry or is it just something that seems scary because I haven't had a chance to tackle it yet...?
I forced myself to do a solo backcountry trip, was a great high country mule deer hunt. I think you will be surprised on the experience. If you are thinking about it, you probably want to do it.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
You nailed it. The first few nights every sound you hear makes you think some crazy stuff. When your mind quits messing with you, it becomes absolute peace and super relaxing. Nothing like doing exactly what you want at exactly your pace.
I love solitude which is why I've always wanted to do a solo hunt. I'm just hoping that your right; that after a few nights I'm loving it and not trying to run off the mountain as fast as I can, lol.

Hunt2019

FNG
I'm a relatively new hunter but I still get scared hiking in/out a few miles in the dark on day hunts. I would love to take the pup for a companion on an overnight (not a hunting dog and definitely would be more of a hunting liability than asset) but will need to read up on the regs.

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
I think it helps your piece of mind if you have a way to communicate with people back home. I have an inreach that I always have with me. It's nice piece of mind in case something gets sideways.
I have an inreach too so I'm not really worried about that part. That was one of the compromises I made with the wife (although I probably would have gotten an Inreach anyways just for emergencies).

OP
R

rob86jeep

WKR
I went on my first solo hunt in 1994. I didn't sleep a wink during the three nights I was out. Every time after that it got easier and now it's by far my favorite way to hunt.
I hope that when I'm old (or older as I already feel pretty old now) that I look back and can say the same thing. It's reassuring to hear that it isn't just me though; that it even happened to people who spend ton of nights in the back country.

Terrapin

WKR
Pack a pistol and a good flashlight for things that go bump in the night. Lots of times, I prefer to be alone. I prefer to control when and how I hunt, and when and where I kill an animal. It seems like some people that I have hunted with make poor choices or try to prove something in the woods (or the vehicles we use). This type of behavior has put me at greater risk than hunting alone. I have at time hunted for weeks at a time without seeing or speaking to another person... and it certainly isn’t out of bravery, I’m generally a very cautious person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I'll throw in and make you feel normal, no need to feel bad about it! I feel the same way. I've done a few overnights alone and I don't like it. Not scared of the the boogeyman and fully understand that aside from the odd angry bear everything out there is more afraid of me than i am of it.

That being said, the brain plays with you and I wake up a lot at night, for whatever reason when I'm hunting with my buddy that is half my size, or even overnighting with my kid that is my responsibility to keep safe I sleep like a baby, just another person there.

I know I can do it and have forced it a few times, but I decided that for me, I hunt with a partner instead of alone.

Like others said go try it, and if it it's something you keep thinking of commit to trying it 3 or 4 times (camping not hunting trips) and see how you do. Even overnighting on a piece of public 1/2 mile from the truck can be a start.

Short and sweet answer for me is those sounds in the night get a little more attention grabbing in grizzly country. Multiply that a few times in said country (for me), in the dark, packing out a bit of bloody meat.
Anyone that doesnt devote a great deal of their attention to bears in bear country is a way tougher (or...) man than me.
Yes, it's a great part psychological... But when youve had a few close encounters with bears in the daylight, you realize the dark only emboldens them and diminishes your strengths.
If you arent in bear country, your imagination should drop way off.

Best of luck, our fears are "generally" 1000% less than reallity. "Generally" hahahaha