I'm I the only one who fears a solo hunt...

Blaw

WKR
"EDIT: unless you're in Grizz country.. I think I'd advise against that. "

No way! there is way too much country with grizz to not do it because of that!
Don't you guys have them in Washington?
We have them all along the bc alberta border and of course in bc, just can't avoid them. And to be honest the actual stats show the black bear are more of an issue, a few yrs ago a black bear literally dragged a worker off a work site in northern alberta. It was straight predatory, unusual as it was broad daylight and people where around. They were actually hitting the bear to let go ( I was fishing with a biologist that was on the site, it was also in the news)

I also have a friend who had a young cougar stalk up on him, he shot a warning arrow and it kept coming. He ended up shooting it, then calling the fish cops of course. These are all so rare, I think that is the problem is people's minds just get carried away. I know mine does!

EDIT: unless you're in Grizz country.. I think I'd advise against that.

Last I checked BC is the griz capital of the world...I do 99% of my backcountry hunting either solo or with my 10 year old son. Could definitely hunt from the truck but its 100x more rewarding sleeping in the mountains and packing meat out, don't cook or keep food in your tent and your chances of getting killed in a car crash on your way to the trailhead will always be higher than a griz coming in to snuggle at night ;)

HDwild

WKR
Last I checked BC is the griz capital of the world...I do 99% of my backcountry hunting either solo or with my 10 year old son. Could definitely hunt from the truck but its 100x more rewarding sleeping in the mountains and packing meat out, don't cook or keep food in your tent and your chances of getting killed in a car crash on your way to the trailhead will always be higher than a griz coming in to snuggle at night ;)
You're a braver man than I, my friend. Maybe someday.

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
Sleep was my biggest issue. I never sleep well the first couple of nights, or the night before i leave. Reminds me of when i was a kid on Christmas Eve. The more i do it, the easier it gets though. No issues with bears where i hunt in Washington. The whole experience is great for your soul. Peace and quiet. It gives you some alone time to reflect on different things going on in your life. If you're thinking about doing it, just do it. No regrets when your older in life, looking back wishing that you woulda, shoulda, coulda.

You're a braver man than I, my friend. Maybe someday.

Make sure you do a write up about it when you do! ;)

I was recently thinking about getting my son comfortable with being solo eventually so that he isn't hesitant to do so when he's older, he already thinks nothing of sleeping under a tarp in the middle of a burn but he's always right beside me. Still a ways off in the future but I like the idea of bringing separate shelters and setting them up relatively close to each other. Good way to ease into things!

HDwild

WKR
Make sure you do a write up about it when you do! ;)

I was recently thinking about getting my son comfortable with being solo eventually so that he isn't hesitant to do so when he's older, he already thinks nothing of sleeping under a tarp in the middle of a burn but he's always right beside me. Still a ways off in the future but I like the idea of bringing separate shelters and setting them up relatively close to each other. Good way to ease into things!
I remember as a kid my grandpa would set the tent up in the backyard and I would be so scared of even the wind howling. You're doing something right if your son is comfortable under a tarp on the mountain!

I remember as a kid my grandpa would set the tent up in the backyard and I would be so scared of even the wind howling. You're doing something right if your son is comfortable under a tarp on the mountain!

R66YINP.jpg

hlli8pk.jpg

OFFHNTN

WKR
BackcountryBloodline that pic of your son by the tent and fire is priceless!

I believe if you grow up in the mountains, have friends or family that brought you with at a young age, and it was just a normal activity, it's much easier to continue it as an adult and feel completely comfortable. Same with any activity. I grew up a whitetail tree stand hunter, I can sit all day in a stand, for several days in a row, motionless, sunrise to sunset without much trouble. It took me a while to feel comfortable on solo mountain hunts, packing my camp in and sleeping under the stars. I bet there are a ton of western guys that are the exact opposite and would go bonkers after 4 hours sitting in a tree stand, but they can live for 2 weeks on a mountain in grizzly country.

I used to try n get other people to go on trips to use the buddy system, split costs etc. it’s real easy to get someone to plan for next November but come September they don’t have the money cuz they spent it on frivolous things or insert excuses here. Anyway I started going on my own because otherwise I wasn’t going anywhere. I’ve been to Nebraska Wyoming and a handful in state. Out of state I would get real apprehensive before going. Both times I was so scared I wouldn’t have gone if I wouldn’t have been embarrassed by backing out. Both times I’ve had a blast and taken adequate safety measures (Delorme inreach) etc. on the ride home I’ve been happy as hell and usually end up talking at length with friends who didn’t go because (insert stupid excuse) at length about how they wish they went and will next time. If you wanna do it and you’re capable go do it.

I bet there are a ton of western guys that are the exact opposite and would go bonkers after 4 hours sitting in a tree stand, but they can live for 2 weeks on a mountain in grizzly country.

Bingo. Huff a mature bear in to 15 yards with nothing but a bow in hand? No problem. Sit from pre-sunrise to post-sunset in a treestand though? Just kill me now. :ROFLMAO:

Mental toughness is definitely subjective!

There are more people than you think that can’t handle being alone and dependent on themselves far from society. Hell, most people can’t even mentally cope with being at home alone for a few days. Alone with your thoughts and no stupid phone for even one night? I doubt 9 out of 10 people my age, 37, have experienced that.

SHoug07

FNG
Not growing up hunting I don't know many who do. The ones I do know I would not depend on to stick to plans. So i mainly solo hunt. In my few short years in the woods I have grown to enjoy the solitude. For the most part I think it is the mental part that could really break someone down. Noting but a lifetime of decisions to think about when you are alone. Only one way to find out if it's for you... just go for it.

elkyinzer

WKR
It's not for everyone. It's not a fear thing but for me but at a certain point solo I start feeling like what's the point. Hunting is enjoyment, I'm not out there to prove how tough or capable I am. I think I skew pretty heavily toward introvert but a few days alone gets to me mostly on a motivation level. Guess it goes along with me liking team sports and I could give a shit about most individual sports. Ideal hunts for me are solo hunting with a shared camp with close friends.

mwebs

WKR
I started going duck hunting with my dad when I was six. I think he mostly brought me so he could set me on some island with a flashlight, dog and a bucket with my supplies to help secure an area. We would go out way before shooting light to get our spot, and I would shine my light at boats as they come in. Lots of interesting noises in the marsh at those hours and I was convinced most were going to kill me and the dog. A couple times in particular I would hear what sounded like a monkey screaming/ being killed. Weirdest noise I have heard to this day, it would scare the shit out of me. Dad would come get me before shooting time, I would explain and he wouldn't believe me. As an adult I happened to be telling this story to my dad and his biologist friend, he immediately said, oh that's just an eagle, I have heard them make that sound. Mystery solved, I think... Now I remember that when I hear weird stuff at night in the mountains and tell myself its no big deal probably just an eagle.

It's not for everyone. It's not a fear thing but for me but at a certain point solo I start feeling like what's the point. Hunting is enjoyment, I'm not out there to prove how tough or capable I am. I think I skew pretty heavily toward introvert but a few days alone gets to me mostly on a motivation level. Guess it goes along with me liking team sports and I could give a shit about most individual sports. Ideal hunts for me are solo hunting with a shared camp with close friends.

This, let me know if you wanna hunt sometime haha

idig4au

WKR
Without reading all 7 pages of responses, all I can say is I absolutely love Solo trips in the back country. Its a great way to escape, do some thinking, see "creation" first hand and get some perspective. I usually come back from the back country in a better place mentally.

Donny123

FNG
The thought is always scary but once you get there it's fine plus rewarding. Just research your gear list and have an exit plan