I'm I the only one who fears a solo hunt...

TheGDog

WKR
The odds of a lion eating on you is beyond ridiculously low. How many hunters are chewed on every year? About zero? Why anyone would even think to worry about that is beyond me. :rolleyes:
Because if it wasn't for bad, I'd have no luck at all. That's why I have to overthink the crap out of everything. In order to be prepared. I tell people "I know my luck." That's why.

Personally, I've had to hike past a congregation of 7 MtnLions (3 adults 4 juveniles) that were all like about 50+yds down below the trail line I had to go thru to go back in and fetch my tent after a successful harvest in 2016. With my pack all bloodied up with deer blood at last lite! Man.. talk about pucker-factor... especially knowing my luck.

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
I guess growing up in lion country and being around them my entire life, I just don't seem to worry about them at all. I've seen a lot of mountain lions in my life probably more than a good chunk of people will ever see and never once was I worried about them eating me, attacking me, or maiming me.
I would imagine if you're not around them and don't quite understand them it would breed fear, much like if I were to ever go into Phoenix, LA, NYC, etc.
There's much worse in the mountains than a mountain lion.

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
Drug smugglers, illegal grow sites, illegal drugs being made, human traffickers, etc. Those are worse and will usually get you pretty damn dead if you stumble up on one. Hell you stumble upon the wrong camp and you could end up pretty dead especially with all the gangs around a lot of the Hispanic gangs dont mess around. I don't carry a side arm when I hunt for bears and lions.

For forty years I ‘ve ridden horses, hiked, backpacked, and fished in lion country. See tracks and scat all the time. I’ve never seen a cougar but I’m sure plenty have seen me. Walked in on a fresh lion killed doe so fresh she was still steaming. I know for a fact we ran that cat off of her lunch and I’m sure she was standing within a a hundred yards watching us. Found fresh cat tracks and scat around my camp several times. I didn’t feel scared in any of those situations. In fact my brother had to stop me from doing a forensic analysis Of the kill scene. I don’t feel “afraid” most of the time and I have 0 trouble sleeping. But if I have to go off in the woods alone at night to take a Trump, I pack my pistol just cuz my imagination gets the best of me. I mean I’m aware that they do attack people on occasion. Never heard of anyone gettin attacked by a bobcat ....although there is rabies.

as far as black bears I’ve seen plenty and they always run off. even got between a mom and her cub two different times. one of them glared at us but gave no trouble. Never encountered a grizz and I suppose I might get used to them being around but they sure have a reputation for unpredictability.

Alone and solo is the only way to go. That being said I do have a few friends I enjoy hunting with.

My first time in the mountains alone was a train wreck, I was 12 and gathering cows, I had 2 horses with me and at night every time one of the horses blinked I'm pretty sure I heard it and was terrified. My dad was on the mountain too but in another area gathering cows.
I believe I was 18 or 19 before I finally could sleep comfortably and soundly the whole night through, but with my dad being a former marine I was never willing to tell him that I was scared of anything. It's all just mind games there's a good chance nothing bad will happen and you'll look back on it and laugh at being scared over nothing.

This saying is what kept me going some of the nights in my younger teens.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

In John Muir’s story about the dog Stikeen, he has a line “although I was scared I can be brave” — something like that. Saddling up anyway.

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
Being that most of my hunting buddies have kids and are married i usually have to do a lot of solo hunting otherwise id be at home dreaming about hunting. I would rather hunt with a buddy or have one in camp cause i do like to hunt solo. I bring some headphones and listen to podcasts at night and while glassing to pass the time.

TheGDog

WKR
Being that most of my hunting buddies have kids and are married i usually have to do a lot of solo hunting otherwise id be at home dreaming about hunting. I would rather hunt with a buddy or have one in camp cause i do like to hunt solo. I bring some headphones and listen to podcasts at night and while glassing to pass the time.
I cringe when I hear about folks putting in headphones while in the backcountry. Listening at night in the tent... suppose that could fine, but when out and about? Meh, I suppose it depends on the habitat type though. In DesertHills or wide-open stuff I suppose that's fine. Sure hope you don't do that in thick woodland type habitats though, where isht can sneak up on ya. It does happen.

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I cringe when I hear about folks putting in headphones while in the backcountry. Listening at night in the tent... suppose that could fine, but when out and about? Meh, I suppose it depends on the habitat type though. In DesertHills or wide-open stuff I suppose that's fine. Sure hope you don't do that in thick woodland type habitats though, where isht can sneak up on ya. It does happen.
i only listen to them while glasssing for long hours, and when i am in my tent before bed. 1 earphone in.

Marble

WKR
Here’s something to think about. I’ve done a few solo hunts. Every time I go, everyone tells me to be careful and I usually get some crazy stories about someone who died on a solo hunt. In reality I’m ultra careful solo. Check in daily on in reach, set my knife down if I walk around the animal during skinning etc. went with someone else this year. He got hurt on the second day so he stayed close to camp most of the time. We were in his truck and he didn’t wanna take it through mud or ruts which is fine it’s his vehicle. No problem there. But because of that I walked way further than normal in an area with no cell service. In the end I was 2-3x further from a vehicle/water etc., than I would have been solo, no communication with him, and even if I could communicate I don’t think someone who had trouble walking could carry my 230lbs to help. Just something to think about. Now that I’ve been on a few good trips other people want to go. But if I hadn’t done it by myself I’d still just be “thinking about going on a hunting trip” like most other guys where I live.
I've had the same experiences and the same requests from people who want to go with me. They see success and want it, but don't realize what it takes to get it. I've got enough hunting partners if I don't want to go solo. I don't really want to have to go through teaching someone how to elk hunt, woodmanship, horse care and animal care while on my hunt.

Might change my mind when the right partner comes around.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I used to not like going back country by myself. Kinda like everyone else says, your mind is your worst enemy. Every scraping, shuffling, stick breaking thing that happens can really put you on edge when you're not used to it. Heard once that a man takes his own monsters into the woods with him and I always thought it made sense. It may be a famous quote or something, I don't know. I heard it once in passing. I've since been fortunate enough to go to some remote places alone. Even backpacked the Amazon alone a few years back. Don't know which is worse, being alone in bear country or jaguar country. At least in bear country I have a gun. But most of the fear is mental. Being aware and being scared are two different things. One should always be aware. Even now when I'm solo I kinda miss the camaraderie of a trusted friend or two at times. But you'll see and experience things you wouldn't otherwise. The only pace you have to maintain is your own, and you'll definitely notice more of everything. Do it enough and the worst part about being by yourself is not being able to split load meat. Worth it.

14idaho

FNG
True confession here. We have our camps in grizzly and wolf country and there is never only 1 person in camp over night. We have a mule named Rocky and one night I heard a commotion and ran out and Rocky was kicking the snot out of a bear.

I've had the same experiences and the same requests from people who want to go with me. They see success and want it, but don't realize what it takes to get it. I've got enough hunting partners if I don't want to go solo. I don't really want to have to go through teaching someone how to elk hunt, woodmanship, horse care and animal care while on my hunt.

Might change my mind when the right partner comes around.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Yup. To be honest being alone doesn't bother me, never has. Hard to beat the quiet, being unplugged and drinking a whiskey on the tailgate being the only person for miles. I did used to get real nervous before I go, but like everything I'm afraid of, the more I do it the less scary it is.

def90

WKR
Once you hike in to your spot in pitch black at 4:00 am a couple times you get over it. The first time you do it every shadow made by your headlamp will be a bear in your mind. Just have to remember that most animals will likely hear you and scatter long before you ever get close to them unless there is a fair amount of wind or background noise.

If you are concerned about injury and so on just get an in reach or something equivalent. And always let someone know where you plan on going and when you plan on being back.

Oh, I’ve been hiking all over Colorado for 20 years now and have yet to see a lion.. a few bobcats, a ton of bears, some moose, but no lions.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You guys are all psyching yourselves out.

When I first moved to AK I lived in a small village and couldn’t really find people to go with me. I had an older raft, I think it was a predecessor to the pr49 type stuff.

I floated 10 miles down a river and my only plan was that I’d float the 10 Miles back with the ride change. Well obviously that was more difficult and unpredictable than it sounds.

I went out with a 30-06, tent, stove, sleeping bag/pad and some food. I went way far down a side creek and ended up shooting a moose on the 4th day but it took me 3 days to get back, that raft was really slow with all the meat, I was dragging it, waiting for rides. It was actually pretty ridiculous.

I’ve never been able to match that level of adventure since. I’d love to lose all my knowledge and go back and do that again.

Hi been on plenty of solo hunts some up to 21 days hunting sheep. I have had several encounters or situations that test you. Let someone know where you are going and when you plan to be out of the mountains. Theses days with inreach and spot they are great should you need assistance. Lastly don't take on more than you can chew, have the basic survival skills. Even skilled outdoors savy people still have the hair on their neck rise in the middle of the night including me. as others have posted get out in the off season and spend a few days in the hills and climatise yourself to spending time alone.

good luck and much success in your hunts

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
Also you can still hunt and get out with an injury, torn ACL, LCL, PCL, broken ankles, ruptured appendix etc. Its only life threatening if you let it be life threatening.