I'm interested how you guys or gals would go about it!

This is random and maybe I should have asked this over on Optics
For folks that may have both these units, Kestrel 5700 Elite and a Sig Kilo 2400ABS and using both.
Let's say you have shooter buck bedded at 400 yards, across a canyon with a 10:30 20 mph wind. He has no idea there and you have all the time needed to get set up.
Tell me how you would go about running both units??

Calbuck

WKR
I aim slightly high (crosshairs on back) and send. With my 7 mag and 162 eldx that's a dead deer. My last two mulie bucks were 390 and 410 yds, killed em both with one shot. Don't overthink it and don't get too caught up in details. Know your gun and practice shooting to the distance you think you would ethically shoot at an animal. I'm set up 2 1/2" high at 100 yards.

OP
B
Yes totally agree was just curious how folks that do have and use these units go about it.
Lets take the hunt out and change it to working a new load, same environment conditions?

bgipson

FNG
I'm confused by your question... Are you trying to ask how to use the individual units? Plenty of YouTube videos to explain that. I read wind through a spotting scope looking at foliage and mirage. You do have the largest effect on your bullet at close range but can't discount what the wind is doing over the distance of the shot. That takes actually going out and shooting in varied conditions to figure out.

OP
B
Hahahaha
OK bad question to ask.
The question was for the folks that have these units and use them.
Using both is a process, whether it be in a hunting situation or practice, whatever.
I run both unit and run in the following. I'll use my Kestrel first and "capture" my target for direction, then capture wind, again for direction / speed. I'll transfer that data to my Sig 2400abs, yes I want the 8K and will be parting with the 2400. Most all of this data is relayed via bluetooth to some extent.
It's very obvious that this would not work in all hunting situations and many times I have not had the time needed to and as said, know your rifle and capabilities etc. bit I think that is getting into more ethics, not really what I was asking about.
Your not always going to get that "candy" shot at 100, 200 yards and a lot of factors pertain to that. If everything is lined correctly and the situation will give me the time, again no pressure, I'm using these units to give me that edge I'm comfortable with and like I'm sure most want it over one clean shot, at least that is what we are hoping for. If using the units and your data is logged and then entered correctly, it's bad ass how it comes together.
Again this is my preference and I was just wondering for people that use these, how they go about it

Thanks for your comments

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I would range the deer with my Sig and input the wind into it. Dial the elevation correction, hold wind, and kill the buck. The only reason I would use the Kestrel is if I was unsure what the wind speed was or wanted to double check it.

BluMtn

WKR
You are way over thinking a 400 yard shot. Compensate the wind with Kentucky windage, you should already know your hold over for that yardage and shoot. You shouldn't need to "Twist Knobs" at that distance.

For me, I would range the deer with the Sig, input that into the Kestrel, and dial or hold the solution from the Kestrel. However, I would also have a dope sheet taped to the stock or inside the rear scope cap for a quick elevation solution, skip the kestrel, and "hold left edge and send it" if I needed to.

Big Ern

WKR
Overthinking this stuff…practice and know your basic holds.

Inhave a 6mph rifle. At those imputs i would dial for 400 and hold 0.6 mols of wind and send it. Not perfect, but close enough and takes about 3-6 seconds to do