I'm looking for sleeping pads for 3rd season Colorado hunt for son and I Best bang for the buck on a budget. We both have 0 degree Down bags ?

Hello I'm looking for help getting son and I insulated sleeping pads for 3rd season Colorado hunt. Best bang for the buck on a budget. We both have 0 degree Down bags. Used would be OK. Any ideas or help would be appreciated

mlgc20

WKR
We recommend the Thermarest Neo Air Xtherm as the best weight vs warmth for late season hunts. You can often find them used for a decent price that would make it a good buy for what you get.

We do a raffle + review on Lightweight Sleeping Pads and the Xtherm is always one of the top choices of the winners.
Yep. For cold weather the Xtherm is fantastic. Especially for the weight.

Drenalin

WKR
If you're in a bag (not a quilt) I'd take a long look at an insulated Klymit pad. You can get a factory second or refurbished model on eBay for around $60. I'd say the r-value for the use you described is a little light, but a cheap CCF pad to supplement the inflatable would do the trick. It's going to be a little heavy with two pads, and the CCF pad will be bulky, but you can either pay the price there or pay monetarily for an XTherm or Exped for an all-in-one solution.

Carr5vols

WKR
I have a klymit wide and slept this past friday, no tent, at 20 degrees with a 20 degree bag but did have on my puffy. Stayed perfectly warm. For the money not bad. When it gets real cold my big agnes is coming out.

OP
T
If you're in a bag (not a quilt) I'd take a long look at an insulated Klymit pad. You can get a factory second or refurbished model on eBay for around $60. I'd say the r-value for the use you described is a little light, but a cheap CCF pad to supplement the inflatable would do the trick. It's going to be a little heavy with two pads, and the CCF pad will be bulky, but you can either pay the price there or pay monetarily for an XTherm or Exped for an all-in-one solution.
CCF pad ? What is that ? Please forgive me I normally sleep on cot in my wall tent. This trip we'll be back packing in with TIPI hot tent first time for me. Thanks again for info. Trans Yank

Drenalin

WKR
CCF pad ? What is that ? Please forgive me I normally sleep on cot in my wall tent. This trip we'll be back packing in with TIPI hot tent first time for me. Thanks again for info. Trans Yank
Closed cell foam. Something like a Thermarest Z-Lite or Ridgerest, but I wouldn't limit it to one brand.

kyarcher

FNG
If you are packing in, really consider the weight. You'll want to keep it down as much as possible without giving up too much comfort. Typically means spending a little more.

Welcome.

I shopped around for pads over the last couple of years and feel like Klymit is the best bang for the buck in terms of value and comfort. For context I own klymit, the and sea to summit. My go to pad is a sea to summit 4 inch thick inflatable, but I prefer it because I am tall and heavy as well as a side sleeper, so it is worth the $200 I spent to me.

as mentioneed above, I would look at closed cell foam. I love and use both a ridge rest and z rest regularly under my inflatable pad. They are also great for camp seats and glassing pads. Combined with an inflator, they are super comfortable and can add some serious warmth to a summer weight inflatable pad.

if I was on a budget, I would buy a (noninsulated) klymit static V pad for $50 and put it on top of a thermarest, ridge rest foam pad for $20. That is a 2# system with an r value over 3 that will keep you sitting and sleeping in comfort from summertime to well below freezing.

FWIW I am not a big fan of used inflatable pads. Maybe you get a closet queen. Maybe you get something that is full of leaks. Who knows.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have an Xtherm for most of the year's use, but for after September I have an Exped Downmat 9 for warmth. Ya, it's more bulky and heavier than the Xtherm, but that's a weight and bulk penalty I'll gladly accept for a good night's sleep. I sleep cold.

C.payne

WKR
I’m a huge fan of the X-therm. I live in BC and the vast majority of hunters I know ultimately end up owning it as the do it all, all year around pad. I have owned Nemo, Big Agnes and multiple Thermarest.
I know you had mentioned “ on a budget” but my sleep system is not a place where I personally try and cut costs.
I do understand the everyone’s different and may hunt completely different terrain and climates to where I hunt.

Huntin_GI

WKR
Every time I see a sleeping pad thread, I stop in and see Klymits recommended due to "value".

I can't speak to the newer Klymit pads but having bought one in 2016 while living in Europe, I have a lot of attempts at trying to get a good nights sleep on their Stativ V Insulated which had the best R value rating at the time. Anything below 40*F and I froze. This was with a Nemo 15* down bag. Got back stateside in 2019. First summer scouting trip thought man this pad is comfortable and I slept great. Fast forward to the first week of September at 12K feet in Colorado, I was miserable. Slept in my full kit minus boots. One evening, got caught in a storm and everything was soaked. Climbed into the bag and shivered through the night.

I immediately go to REI on my way home from that trip and try several different pads. Ended up with the Nemo Tensor. Fast forward. 4th rifle. 10K. Back in with 6-7 inches of snow. Sleep like a rock all week. Only thing that changed was a quality pad.

I'm not recommending anything. I am advising avoid Klymit. I like my Nemo. I think Big Agnes and Thermarest make a quality product. Closed cell is probably the best "value" you will find but don't expect it to be overly comfortable.

I am also a 220lb side sleeper that typically sleeps hot so take that for what its worth.

From what I was able to gather, Klymit has recently had to drop the R value on a lot of their pads once a standardization method came in.
The pads themselves are not as warm as some of the competition. However the R values they claim seem to be based on the construction of the pad and the way it partners with your bag.

The larger valleys create voids that your bag fills and helps trap heat. Now from taking with others it seems down bags fill these voids better then synthetic and sleepers who toss a lot are “fluffing” things up and refilling these voids better (if that makes sense) but those who sleep like a rock seem to compress the bag and then these voids just suck the heat out of you.

I ended up going with the Xtherm as I wanted a pad that had just as much warmth regardless of my bag. (I also went with a good bag too as I don’t do well with crappy sleeps)

EdP

WKR
I don't trust the inflatable pads and won't use them backpacking. They are very warm and comfortable and pack up small but having a leak in one can be a serious problem. I take a full length z-rest for camp and a 1/2 length as my ass pad. For sleeping the 1/2 length goes on top of the full length giving me 2 layers from hips to shoulders. The z-rest foam pads are bulky but don't weigh anything.

Exped down 9 is worth the weight. You can find codes for moosejaw, backcountry and REI all the time.

Marble

WKR
I understand the inflatables are a risk, I haven't had one screw me yet. The sleep I get on mine is much better than anything else. Probably because of the way I sleep. I'm a side/belly sleeper. So I'm more comfortable with more padding.

If I were the OP I would try to lay on as many as I could and see what is comfortable. After that, then start making decisions based on cost, weight, size and type.

I'm on my 3rd season with mine. A sea to summit insulate ether light XT insulated pad. My dad and I have both been using ours and have really enjoyed them. They come with a patch kit just in case. I'm sure it's happened but I haven't seen anyone complaining about punctures. They seem to be pretty tough.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk