I'm not hunting at all in 2020...

Thanks to Uncle Sam.

Not here to cry about it or get a bunch of TYFYS, I signed up after all.

Question is, what should my strategy be this year? I figure it's a points season for me.

My current points break down

Montana- 1 preference point, didn't draw the general combo this year but snagged a leftover.

Wyoming- 2 Antelope points, 1 elk point, 1 deer point.

I plan on purchasing points for Wyoming (Elk, Deer, and Antelope), Colorado Elk, and Montana general this year.

My tentative future plans...

2021 is a Wyoming Cow Elk hunt with my dad. I've got a easy to draw, high success unit with relatively easy terrain picked out. He's not getting any younger and I'd love to do an elk hunt with him before he's too old. Not to mention it's going to be a hard sell to the wife after being gone for a year. This isn't going to be the year I'm making a two week trip out west and I want a high odds hunt with minimal time. I don't mind dumping my points to make it happen.

2022 Maybe back to Montana? I was severely disappointed with the pressure we dealt with this year, but I don't want to lose my points as you can only buy points for 3 years without applying as a NR. I probably won't go opening week again, and I feel like we would have better odds this time knowing the unit.

2023 Probably a first season Colorado Elk limited entry hunt.

2024 ? Maybe back to Wyoming on a general tag?

What other states can I buy points for? Any other recommendations? I'm very familiar with Montana, somewhat familiar with Wyoming, and have a minimal understanding of how things work in Colorado. AZ, NM, UT I'm a complete newbie on.

Last edited:
I’m fresh out, my ETS was the 4th the day the General got got lol...... depends what you want man I was stationed in Colorado the last couple years, popped my cherry to the west and how it works. I’ll send you a PM.

BFR

WKR
Thanks to Uncle Sam.

Not here to cry about it or get a bunch of TYFYS, I signed up after all.

Question is, what should my strategy be this year? I figure it's a points season for me.

My current points break down

Montana- 1 preference point, didn't draw the general combo this year but snagged a leftover.

Wyoming- 2 Antelope points, 1 elk point, 1 deer point.

I plan on purchasing points for Wyoming (Elk, Deer, and Antelope), Colorado Elk, and Montana general this year.

My tentative future plans...

2021 is a Wyoming Cow Elk hunt with my dad. I've got a easy to draw, high success unit with relatively easy terrain picked out. He's not getting any younger and I'd love to do an elk hunt with him before he's too old. Not to mention it's going to be a hard sell to the wife after being gone for a year. This isn't going to be the year I'm making a two week trip out west and I want a high odds hunt with minimal time. I don't mind dumping my points to make it happen.

2020 Maybe back to Montana? I was severely disappointed with the pressure we dealt with this year, but I don't want to lose my points as you can only buy points for 3 years without applying as a NR. I probably won't go opening week again, and I feel like we would have better odds this time knowing the unit.

2022 Probably a first season Colorado Elk limited entry hunt.

2023 ? Maybe back to Wyoming on a general tag?

What other states can I buy points for? Any other recommendations? I'm very familiar with Montana, somewhat familiar with Wyoming, and have a minimal understanding of how things work in Colorado. AZ, NM, UT I'm a complete newbie on.
TYFYS anyway and from 1 vet to another, stay safe brother.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
I’d recommend getting points in Colorado for deer too. You have to buy a license to get your elk point already, so it’s pretty cheap to add on deer. I get the antelope point as well because it’s so cheap. Not sure if that one’s worth it or not but I figure what the heck.

Wapiti1

WKR
If you know you won't be hunting, get points. If you are uncertain, get a tag and turn it back in if you have to. Otherwise, go hunt.

Points for deer and elk in CO. Hunt there often on low point hunts like first rifle for elk, or the limited archery units. Hunt deer every few years there in the same unit that takes 2-3 points to pull a tag in either archery, or 3rd rifle.

Idaho is a good deer/elk destination as well.

New Mexico is worth looking at as a place to put in and hope. Don't bank on a NM tag. If you get one, it has some of the best elk hunting that I have seen. There is some coues hunting here and black bear that can be good. I don't know much about mule deer in NM.

Montana is what it is first week of the general season. Second week is pretty calm through the season end. I grew up there, and haven't hunted a first week for 20 years. I hunt archery or later in the general. Still a good hunting destination. Consider antelope points there for variety. Also black bear in the spring.

Elk in AZ. Don't swing for the fences in AZ. You can have some great later season hunts there on fewer points. Just understand that you aren't hunting their primo units. That said, it is still good elk hunting for nice 5x5's or smaller 6's. If you want to bank points, this is the state to do it in, IMO. OTC deer in AZ. Then there are coues tags that are an easy draw as well as javelina. I wouldn't bother with LE mule deer here for the same reason as Utah below.

Utah general deer can be a fun hunt and you could turn up a good buck. Some areas get tons of pressure, and others don't see much. I would not advise building points in Utah for anything else if you haven't already started investing there. I think the chances of pulling a tag are too small to justify the investment.

Nevada is, IMO, for those that want trophies and are willing to build points for that. There are some good mule deer hunts for archery that don't take lots of points. All of the elk tags take more than a few points. I haven't done as much research in NV since I am just building points there and know I don't have enough to be dangerous yet. I'll probably die with those points.

Just a few thoughts. Don't discount other easy tags like black bear to extend seasons or give you a spring time option that might fit your schedule better.

Jeremy

oake

Lil-Rokslider
Opinions vary on this, but you may think about purchasing AZ points. Whether you go with deer, elk, antelope, that would be up to you.

JMO

BeWild

FNG
Being new to the site, new to western/mountain hunting, but not new to that lifestyle here's my two cents. Bank all the cash you can while away, accrue points in as many states as possible, and then burn the points you have on the time with family/friends like you said. You can't get any more time. Use it wisely. Stay safe man.

I’d recommend getting points in Colorado for deer too. You have to buy a license to get your elk point already, so it’s pretty cheap to add on deer. I get the antelope point as well because it’s so cheap. Not sure if that one’s worth it or not but I figure what the heck.

in addition to what I messaged you Buckeye, this dude here is right, Colorado Mule deer is definitely worth the App. Last year I saw some true stud Mule Deer. One was a Massive dark antlered Forked horn. Like the forks on either side were as tall as my 6 year old..... of course I had no tag though

Tripp238

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the state draw laws. I was in AFG last season and picked up a Afognak Island Grizzly tag and black bear on post in AK. But looked at the Regs on deployments and draw tags. The Alaska ADFG reviewed my orders and rolled my tags over for the next year.

If for some reason I was able to get home early, they still let me use them for 2019 if I wanted. But now I have both tags for 2020 and still able to put in for draw of other animals.

Not sure what other states allow but Alaska was extremely helpful.

Good luck and stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
Check out the state draw laws. I was in AFG last season and picked up a Afognak Island Grizzly tag and black bear on post in AK. But looked at the Regs on deployments and draw tags. The Alaska ADFG reviewed my orders and rolled my tags over for the next year.

If for some reason I was able to get home early, they still let me use them for 2019 if I wanted. But now I have both tags for 2020 and still able to put in for draw of other animals.

Not sure what other states allow but Alaska was extremely helpful.

Good luck and stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s awesome! Unfortunately AK is off the table for the next few years I think but it’s on the bucket list.

I’ll have to check out if other states do something similar. I’d love it if this deployment got cancelled, but it if it did right before we AD I’d probably be tagless. Would be great to apply, then roll it right into 2021.