I’m not much into politics, but man this burns my a**

elkduds

WKR
"I’m not much into politics,"

Our access to public lands is under constant political attack by the US gov't and many states. Sportsmen who avoid those political realities face loss of public lands for hunting, fishing, etc. If it is too overwhelming, connect w a group that represents your values and take their word for it: RMEF, TRCP, MDF, WTF, DU, BHA, Wilderness Society, WSF, TU... Fox news will not tell you about that part.

Last edited:
OP
P

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider

Our access to public lands is under constant political attack by the US gov't and many states. Sportsmen who avoid those political realities face loss of public lands for hunting, fishing, etc. If it is too overwhelming, connect w a group that represents your values and take their word for it: RMEF, TRCP, MDF, WTF, DU, BHA, Wilderness Society, WSF, TU... Fox news will not tell you about that part.

Point taken, thank you.

I will continue to support some of those groups you mentioned as you are correct it’s best to let the professionals handle it. If you want to start another thread about the how the gov’t is trying to take away our public lands by all means go for it. I’ll choose to stay out of that conversation.

The intent of the video is that small towns in America are being turned into ghost towns because of greed.

gbflyer

WKR

What does public land access have to do with a hedge fund cashing in on Cabelas/Bass Pro merger?

As distasteful as it might be, business is business. Singer doesn’t owe the folks in Sydney a living. Sounds to me like the town did quite well over the years. All things end. Cabelas service and products started going down hill at least 10 years before it became a Johnny Morris brand. Probably about the time they started making big money and building their ridiculous stores all over place. Talk about squeezing out the local Mom and Pop shops! They were no different than Singer.

tdhanses

WKR
Yeah I have to agree business is business, happens all the time in the big cities just doesn’t hurt the local economy as hard as when it happens to a company located in rural areas. Diversification is good not only for your 401k but for employment and not much diversification in rural America.

I didn’t read the article but does it also talk about the wealthier farms taking over smaller operations? Rural America isn’t what it was 80 years ago let alone 15 years ago.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
What does public land access have to do with a hedge fund cashing in on Cabelas/Bass Pro merger?

As distasteful as it might be, business is business. Singer doesn’t owe the folks in Sydney a living. Sounds to me like the town did quite well over the years. All things end. Cabelas service and products started going down hill at least 10 years before it became a Johnny Morris brand. Probably about the time they started making big money and building their ridiculous stores all over place. Talk about squeezing out the local Mom and Pop shops! They were no different than Singer.

As far as building stores goes, they slowed way down during the last decade. They actually started building small "outpost" stores instead of the large stores, because the numbers made more sense.

I disagree about Singer. Singer and the Cabela family are certainly not the same. Sure, the Cabelas sold out. However they did a lot to develop the community of Sidney. Supported the school system a bunch and helped develop a lot of the town. They also ran a business, and business will introduce competition. Shutting down a few mom and pop shops is much different than essentially destroying a town. Also, I would guess online marketplaces likely had more to do with that than cabelas.

Also, its spelled Sidney. Not that it matters much, but its where I am from.

ODB

WKR
So...in order to hedge your own protection against stuff like this it is better to simply move to a large metropolitan area so when your company bails, there will hopefully be another company that needs a worker. So much for small town/rural America.

And I get so tired of the “business is business” or “nothing personal, it’s just business” bullshit.

riddle me this - why ISN'T business personal?

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
Start doing some serious reading into the way things are going in this country and it will be enough to drive you over the edge if you let it. I watched that piece at its airing.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
Start doing some serious reading into the way things are going in this country and it will be enough to drive you over the edge if you let it. I watched that piece at its airing.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

How about hospitals that run on productivity as if patients were widgets? My wife works at a place that just yesterday screwed up royally by scheduling 3 MRI/biopsies right after each other. The first went long by 3 hours...that affected “productivity” so now they want to make them work on Sunday to “make up the numbers.”

Oh, and if a patient doesn’t show up for an appointment or the “numbers” are off, they will send a worker home so productivity stays where it needs to be.

unreal...

tdhanses

WKR
So...in order to hedge your own protection against stuff like this it is better to simply move to a large metropolitan area so when your company bails, there will hopefully be another company that needs a worker. So much for small town/rural America.

And I get so tired of the “business is business” or “nothing personal, it’s just business” bullshit.

Or don’t work for the sole employer in a rural area, find a different way to make income, I grew up in a town of 250 people, there is a reason I still don’t live there.

Also Sidney isn’t that small it’ll rebound.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
If you invest your money into something....are you content with no return?

Hedge funds want a return on their investment.....they aren't the bad guys here.

Are you mad about productivity increases like the Ford motor assembly line? The invention of computers? Robotics?

The Cabela brothers cashed out with a pocket load when they initially brought this HF in.....HF have been doing this for many decades.

Businesses have been streamlining their businesses forever; its just competition and staying ahead of the curve. Its also what has made this country great.

elkduds

WKR
Point taken, thank you.

I will continue to support some of those groups you mentioned as you are correct it’s best to let the professionals handle it. If you want to start another thread about the how the gov’t is trying to take away our public lands by all means go for it. I’ll choose to stay out of that conversation.

The intent of the video is that small towns in America are being turned into ghost towns because of greed.
Agree that my post was off topic, sorry. Thanks for supporting defenders of public land.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

It's all personal........personal to the bottom line. The saying should say "don't get emotional, it's just business". It's kind of like when people confuse hospitals and health insurance companies with philanthropic organizations. Hospitals and insurance companies are "businesses" plain and simple. And businesses are made and designed to make money......profit......period.......to their owners or to their shareholders (which are the owners for publicly traded companies). If you run a company by emotions, that company won't be in business for long.

ODB

WKR
It's all personal........personal to the bottom line. The saying should say "don't get emotional, it's just business". It's kind of like when people confuse hospitals and health insurance companies with philanthropic organizations. Hospitals and insurance companies are "businesses" plain and simple. And businesses are made and designed to make money......profit......period.......to their owners or to their shareholders (which are the owners for publicly traded companies). If you run a company by emotions, that company won't be in business for long.

So we are all beholden to the market - we are commodities to be traded or abandoned at will so the bottom line performs for a select few.

should I tell the guy who was fired after 28 years simply because the company needed to show a better profit so it could be sold not to get emotional?

I Hope you never end up in a hospital like I mentioned above. It is run purely for profit to the detriment of its employees AND the patients. When an entire floor of nurses quits and are simply replaced by travelers and no one cares, YOU suffer.

but I’ll try not to get emotional after watching people get shitty care that affects them negatively for the remainder of their life. How dare I...