I'm starting to train again.. Would love some advice from you guys.......

aggieland

WKR
Ok, I pretty much did what can best be described as body building from the time I graduated High School all the way through College and then up until I got married.. Say 2.5 years ago. I could sprint very well but my cardio has gone to crap. I want a new type of workout plan but not sure what direction I should go, I have access to a gym that has weights and a few treadmills and stair steppers but it's by no means a Golds Gym, were in small town america here. I have started running 3 days a week and lifting two days a week. My runs are at the moment about a mile and it's more or less a run then walk sort of adventure "I do not enjoy running". My weight lifting is broken up into body parts "chest/triceps one day and back/biceps the other..
I would love any advice that could help me preform better doing what you guys do out West besides the normal chest/triceps back/biceps type of workout I have been doing. Thanks for any advice!

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Note: I just found the article by Les Welch on the main page. Will see what he has to say on the topic.

Just read the article.. Les you don't have kids yet do you? lol

Last edited:

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aggie.....was just going to send you the link...how was the read?

Actually I have a 9 year old son (Hunter) and 6.5 year old daughter (Alyson). It all comes down to prioritizing. You should be able to be in and out of the gym daily in an hour or less. Feel free to post any questions or message me.

Les

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
aggieland
Les's stuff is top notch! If you want to take a different approach, also check out the functional trianing article on the physical fitness forum. For someone without a lot of gym equipment, it could be a good direction for you. Functional training is also great for those of us who've passed the 4 decade mark.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Thanks for the advice and links guys. I am going to keep pushing and sooner or later I will get young again lol.

Aggieland....I have actually torn BOTH my quads simultaneously!!!! So I can definitely feel you on the whole running thing. One thing that I have started doing more of since college was swimming for cardio. Another thing is that you did mention lifting upper body and cardio but nothing else about lifting for your legs. Cardio is GREAT but you still need to build strength in your lower body and HAMMER your core IMO. Also, I like throwing on a pack at the gym with weight in it and hitting the stair climbers. That is what helped me the most on my hunt this year in the high country.

cmeier117

WKR
Aggieland- Every since I graduated from college and my baseball career was done I struggled to find time/drive whatever you want to call it to do the type of workouts I did in college. I now go on 3-4 mile walks with my wife (4 months prego) 1.5 year old (Hunter) around our house and we happen to live in a very hilly part of Oregon where I can get a good workout pushing the stroller and having 70 lbs in the pack. I also did p90x for awhile and I will say this it works and gets you in shape. I did it early before work. But the long walks with the family are fun because we can all be together and gets my used to carrying weight. If we are going on a longer walk 3-5 miles I will put 70lbs in the pack if my wife wants to do a shorter one (2-3 miles) I will put more weight in pack. This will get shorter as she gets farther along. ;)

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Well Guys, I have started working out again. I hit the gym lifting on Tues and Thursday while the kids are in day care. then Mon, Wed, Fri I have been running. So things are getting moving After the wife finished school in May i will be a free man for the gym. Wish me luck.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
where about in North Texas are you??? you should check out North Texas Trail Runners....it's around the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, good group of folks and it's always fun to find other people to run with and hit some trails around there instead of pounding pavement all the time (easier on the joints as well).

the Training Tips for Hunting the West on the main page has inspired me the last couple days when i haven't felt like going to the gym. been going at least 5 times a week for a month and a half now. i am starting to feel the benefits too. i cant wait to get to the mountains in southern CO and chase elk. one thing i try to remember is those mountains are not forgiving for those that are not fit. the mountains do no care if you make it or not. neither do the critters that live there.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
I've been training with one arm, but it seems I'm only getting half the workout in:)

No comment on the "one arm workout" I always have to use two ;) Anyway, I can tell you flatlanders like me the one thing that hurts me every year in the mountains is my quads. Man they burn like fire taking every step up instead of just fwd.. Hope your healing fast Aron.

cmeier117

WKR
No comment on the "one arm workout" I always have to use two ;) Anyway, I can tell you flatlanders like me the one thing that hurts me every year in the mountains is my quads. Man they burn like fire taking every step up instead of just fwd.. Hope your healing fast Aron.

No comment. ;)

JSonn

FNG
stay motivated at all costs, use inspiration where ever and when ever possible, always remember the mind will quit long before the body ever will- so stay mentally focused and strong

Aggie, If you want to hit workouts that increase cardio capacity and strength take a look into crossfit. You can do the exercises in your home with minimal equipment. A pull up bar and you can do loads of workouts. Take a look at them. Stay away from bodybuilding routines as they don't give you the functional strength and stamina that is needed to be successful in the mountains.

Anyway, I can tell you flatlanders like me the one thing that hurts me every year in the mountains is my quads. Man they burn like fire taking every step up instead of just fwd...

Train like you are in basketball or football. Lots of bleachers. I'm a fellow flat-lander in Arkansas. I did one day elliptical, one day 2-4 mile run, lots of sprints and bleachers on another day. Those 3 days were running. The other 2 I did upper body aerobics and/or yoga. You'd be surprised how much the yoga helps.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Thanks for the info Josh. I'm headed to Arkansas Friday to do a little backpacking and trout fishing near Albert Pike.. Should be a fun weekend "I hope".