i'm thinking about Titanium Chopsticks.

boom

WKR
i use chopsticks damn near daily. cooking, eating, pretending to be a walrus, ETC. (joking about the walrus tusk)

i've been considering buying my own (travel) chopsticks. trying to do my part and minimize the disposable stuff in my life. (somewhat). i realized, TITANIUM ones would be a great lightweight option for packing.

anyone else?

87TT

WKR
Don't think they would be any lighter than wood and cost more to replace.

Wrench

WKR
I can see myself touching a filling in my tooth and actually sounding like a walrus. Metal + tooth = freak out for me.

tdot

WKR
Snowpeak make a pretty sweet ti/bamboo set. I came home after backcountry skiing in japan with a set, and their silicone set too. Use the silicone for cooking all the time.

I'd be curious the resources consumed to make a titanium set vs disposable sets. Is the break even point 100 sets of chopsticks? 1,000? 10,000?

I'm always curious about the break even of these things, not trying to put a damper on your idea. Sorry if it came across that way.

Last edited:
OP
B

boom

WKR
Snowpeak make a pretty sweet ti/bamboo set. I came home after backcountry skiing in japan with a set, and their silicone set too. Use the silicone for cooking all the time.

I'd be curious the resources consumed to make a titanium set vs disposable sets. Is the break even point 100 sets of chopsticks? 1,000? 10,000?

I'm always curious about the break even of these things, not trying to put a damper on your idea. Sorry if it came across that way.
I see your point. I read a book called the Economy of Commerce. First chapter was about the true cost of an item. Again. Good point.

My brother has a set. Neat gimmick IMO. I use a spoon or spork in the back country. Have improvised on the occasions I need skewers or something. TBH I don’t think I have ever used chopsticks outdoors.

Just to muddy the water a bit more...

A few years ago I read an article saying that single use chopsticks is actually a product that the US is the major producer of and exports to other countries. The flip side of this is that the timber production is destroying large chunks of habitat for salamanders which already have a lot of factors working against them.

In general I try to use a product that I can use multiple times so I would imagine a nice pair of wood, bamboo, or metal chopsticks would be worth while.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My brother has a set. Neat gimmick IMO. I use a spoon or spork in the back country. Have improvised on the occasions I need skewers or something. TBH I don’t think I have ever used chopsticks outdoors.

I use a titanium spork, I love that thing, I think mine is made by toaks.

tdot

WKR
I see your point. I read a book called the Economy of Commerce. First chapter was about the true cost of an item. Again. Good point.

If you're using chopsticks every day, I'd say go for it!

The collapsible one are pretty nice, I prefer them over full length... but I also dont like the long spork. It doesnt fit into my stove kit easily. But the 2piece chopsticks go into my pot with my stove. It's perfect... well it was, until I lost them.

rcdinaz

FNG
I would think the cheap wood ones are better for packing/camping. They would have some alternative uses, tinder, finger splint, sharp pokey thing, and still have the desired Walrus effect. ;)