I’m using a Tethrd saddle

I’m using a saddle system for whitetail and bear this year. Anyone using them for western elk hunts yet?

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Should get mine in the next week or two. Obviously will be using it mostly for deer but could see how it would have some use for elk hunting.

How do you like it?

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
Love it for run and gun style hunting. Light and fast. Really quite comfy. I use a self climbing style so it's fast up and down

Beendare

WKR
Used my home made saddle to pack in to a remote wallow for The first time this year. Worked great....kinda. I did it on a couple wallows one 2 miles in another about 4 miles.

The wallow is up in the left-hand corner of this picture. I had a six point bull step out from the other side of the meadow go to the wallow and as I was drawing there was a huge disturbance that behind me on the lower side of the small meadow.....a bear charged out 5 yds from my tree and spooked the bull.

I later found a carcass someone had shot off that same wallow a few days before about 20 or 30 yards downhill at the bear must’ve been feeding on

My take on the whole saddle thing; it’s slick it’s light but It can get uncomfortable on sits over 2 hrs if you don’t have a little platform or something to stand on.

ewescue

Lil-Rokslider
I use the tethrd saddle for whitetails. I'm an extremely mobile hunter nowadays. Started with fixed stands, went to a climber, then to mobile hang ons, now I use the saddle the most. Like above mentioned, use a platform and it will significantly increase comfort! atleast it did for me.

mooster

WKR
Switched to a saddle this year to avoid packing in a climber on mtn bear hunts. Worked awesome. Often sit all day and don’t feel uncomfortable. Picked off this guy on my inaugural hunt.

Attachments

• C1A22AF5-994F-4BB7-A1AD-8436D97D6158.jpeg
    C1A22AF5-994F-4BB7-A1AD-8436D97D6158.jpeg
    659.1 KB · Views: 18

lorsonts

FNG
The saddle idea is super intriguing... because I hate how i never feel truly stable in a climber, can never climb the tree I want to, and they are a pain to set up in the dark. I am happy to see some positive ground truth on guys having success with the harnesses.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mooster

WKR
The saddle idea is super intriguing... because I hate how i never feel truly stable in a climber, can never climb the tree I want to, and they are a pain to set up in the dark. I am happy to see some positive ground truth on guys having success with the harnesses.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
But the saddle is half the equation, now you have to determine how to ascend the tree. I use sticks while I learned SRT. I love the simplicity of SRT assuming I have a limb to toss the rope over.

lorsonts

FNG
You are 100% correct. What are your thoughts on linesmans spikes? Assuming it is legal for the land you are hunting. I think the SRT is probably the safest route, but for those tree that dont have access to good limbs, might be an option over sticks...

mooster

WKR
You are 100% correct. What are your thoughts on linesmans spikes? Assuming it is legal for the land you are hunting. I think the SRT is probably the safest route, but for those tree that dont have access to good limbs, might be an option over sticks...
Not legal for most of my hunting, and I’m not a fan of piercing the trees skin. I did try in my youth but not long enough to become proficient.