IMHO, the best cut of the elk is...

Thick cut Back strap wrapped in bacon and grilled rare with bearnaise is hard to beat. That said the neck meat is my second favorite. Just tried my first heart last year off my buddies bull, and I'll be packing that out from now on.

I like every cut also, but everytime I have a thick juicy elk burger I get excited and worried at the same time. Excited to go hunt for more of that deliciousness and worried about how I am gonna stretch the last of my elk out over a year should I fail in my attempt to harvest more.

CJF

WKR
No way I can give just one.
These are in no particular order:
Eye of round
Tenderloin
Flatiron
Heart
Brisket

Each of these are very unique and I cook them all different. That being said if some buddies helped me pack a bull, these are the last cuts I’ll give up. Followed very closely by the front shanks.

The shank. I am a new elk hunter, having killed my first elk in Nov. I have really enjoyed the other cuts of elk, particularly the tenderloin and backstrap. However, I finally took a rear shank out of the freezer, and after thawing it a bit, cut it into 4 sections with a reciprocating saw.

Tied the outsides up with kitchen twine to maintain their shape and seasoned them according to a NYT Persian spiced shank recipe and let them sit overnight. Finished up the recipe yesterday by browning them off and braising them for 5 hours. Amazing.

If you are looking for that rich, fatty eating experience that is pretty hard to come by on a mostly lean animal, the shank is your friend. After pulling the meat off the bones, scoop out the marrow and mix that in - totally badass.

Overnight me your frozen shanks for free if you don't want them. Thanks.
You can't beat the liver when it is cooked correctly.

COOPDUCK

FNG
The shank. I am a new elk hunter, having killed my first elk in Nov. I have really enjoyed the other cuts of elk, particularly the tenderloin and backstrap. However, I finally took a rear shank out of the freezer, and after thawing it a bit, cut it into 4 sections with a reciprocating saw.

Tied the outsides up with kitchen twine to maintain their shape and seasoned them according to a NYT Persian spiced shank recipe and let them sit overnight. Finished up the recipe yesterday by browning them off and braising them for 5 hours. Amazing.

If you are looking for that rich, fatty eating experience that is pretty hard to come by on a mostly lean animal, the shank is your friend. After pulling the meat off the bones, scoop out the marrow and mix that in - totally badass.

Totally agree, I had the same experience with my shanks. Like the richest fattiest moistest pot roast you’ve ever had.

yeah I would mostly agree with you on that.... But the heart is just ever so slightly better.