Impact of Wolves in NW Montana.

crazyhawksfan

Lil-Rokslider
For the guys that live in Montana or hunt it frequently how have wolves affected the hunting? Thinking mainly NW part of the state and more specifically the Bob Marshall, Scapegoat, and Great Bear wilderness areas. I have a brother that moved up into that area last summer and we're considering hunting some of those areas this fall. Any general info on elk herd conditions in those parts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted areas of NW Montana and have a really good buddy that lives there. The elk seem to be much tighter lipped with bugling than areas without wolf pressure. Bulls generally come in silent during archery season but are still workable. I hunted the Pintlar wilderness area and had success but there are no easy elk hunts, which is what makes success so much sweeter. Last I checked you can buy a wolf tag for $20 my buddy killed one a few years ago and has a very nice full body mount on top of his gun safe.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
It's pretty sad in a lot of areas in NW montana. There are still elk but numbers are still way down. I grew up hunting the area ( mostly the great bear area) and I would love to go back and hunt my old places some of the prettiest places on earth, but there's just not the numbers to make worthwhile to hunt. Wolf hysteria had been overblown in a lot of areas of Montana but in the NW part of the state around kalispell the wolves have wiped or pushed most of the elk out of the country. Guys who have hunted years up there will still kill a few but it's hard. Good luck if you hunt up there and be ready for grizzlies the population has exploded the last 5 years or so.

OP
C

crazyhawksfan

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info so far guys! Not realy what I wanted to hear but kinda what I was exspecting. We may have to consider more southern parts of the state. Any more info would be great. Interesting (and frustrating) hearing about the wolf impact up there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wolf hysteria had been overblown in a lot of areas of Montana but in the NW part of the state around kalispell the wolves have wiped or pushed most of the elk out of the coun

wolves not as hungry in the other parts of the state? In the areas we USED to hunt, the wolves had basically wiped out/pushed out the elk and moose population by 2008. We are just starting to see elk and some moose again in these areas, with very little to no wolf sign. I remember guys from Kalispell telling me (about 10 years ago) the wolves weren't that big of a deal, and that they didn't understand what we were complaining about......sounds like now they got to see it first hand.

It will be interesting to see how things go in these areas that are recovering, as to game numbers and the numbers of wolves.

Last edited: