Importance of Bottom Metal and bedding??

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,
So I am new to the altering of firearms and recently dropped my Tikka T3 .270 into a Mesa Altitude stock. Very nice stock, a lot different than the original.
I keep reading about changing out the bottom metal and would like to hear what you all think about that.
What do you get when switching to metal bottom metal? Does it help with the rifles accuracy?
Also would bedding the action in the above stock do anything for me? It is a very accurate gun to begin with, just under MOA. Would I be able to better accuracy with bedding and metal?
Thanks for your input as this is a new world that I am jumping into.

robtattoo

WKR
How accurate do you need it to be? Ig is under a minute, I really wouldn't mess with it. You're as likely to make it worse, as you are better & you're not going to really gain much.

Wapiti1

WKR
Personally, I would skim bed it. Mesa have a good inlet, but it isn't perfect to your action. A thin skim will mate them perfectly. Nothing elaborate. I would rough it up, degrease and skim it. That said, you don't need to, and it will very likely shoot well.

As to the bottom metal, that depends on your wants/needs. Usually, you change it out for a need, like longer cartridge overall length. If you reload, this may be appealing since you can mess with seating depth a little. If you don't reload, you will get no benefit other than maybe more rounds, or a specific magazine type/style. Bottom metal has nothing to do with accuracy, unless you have a super finicky seating depth, which you don't seen to have. It's all about getting cartridges into the chamber.

Jeremy

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I would skim bed it. Mesa have a good inlet, but it isn't perfect to your action. A thin skim will mate them perfectly. Nothing elaborate. I would rough it up, degrease and skim it. That said, you don't need to, and it will very likely shoot well.

As to the bottom metal, that depends on your wants/needs. Usually, you change it out for a need, like longer cartridge overall length. If you reload, this may be appealing since you can mess with seating depth a little. If you don't reload, you will get no benefit other than maybe more rounds, or a specific magazine type/style. Bottom metal has nothing to do with accuracy, unless you have a super finicky seating depth, which you don't seen to have. It's all about getting cartridges into the chamber.

Jeremy
Thanks for the reply. I’m somewhat new to making changes to a factory rifle.
What do you mean by skim bedding it? A thin skim?
I wouldn’t mind doing this so there is a perfect match between the rifle and stock.

Wapiti1

WKR
Thanks for the reply. I’m somewhat new to making changes to a factory rifle.
What do you mean by skim bedding it? A thin skim?
I wouldn’t mind doing this so there is a perfect match between the rifle and stock.
Yes, just a thin coat to fill in any areas where the action isn't in good contact and make sure the ring and tang are level relative to each other. May not be necessary, but I do it anyway on most rifles. If it shoots well as is, don't bother.

You could also just spot bed the recoil lug and tang.

Jeremy

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bedding it could make a small difference that far. It can help factory stocks, but Tikka already shoot pretty well. Some of the other limitations of a factory stock affect group size. Practically, a 6 inch group at 600 will kill any big game. If you got it down to half moa shooting, you'd gain about a 1.5 inch advantage on either side of zero from center of aim at 600. If you miss by 1.5 inches, its probably a wind call or field position more than a one moa rifle. But, it is nice to get as much advantage as you can, I do.

(An exit question is what is your shooting ability? Your shooting form and set up besides your rifle can make a half MOA difference or more. I have a buddy who shoots every one of my rifles better than me. I shrank my groups by practicing shooting fundamentals and getting a quality bipod and rear rest more than bedding an action ever did.)