IMPORTANTEST Question!

I'm new to Rokslide. From South Carolina. I hunt everything that's legally huntable with moderate success. Sitting around deer camp one day, got the bright idea that we should start going out west!

Fast-Forward 1 year:

2019 OTC Idaho Elk Tag Purchased.
Gear collected and testing under way.
Training (not a novice in this department) underway.

That was background....on to the post title question......

Bourbon or Scotch on the mountain? Brands? How much?

If you want to give me your hidden spots, I'll take them with a grain of skepticism. :p

Just want to introduce myself a little. Been spying and searching the forums like a geek hacking the pentagon. I've already learned a lot and most all my questions have been asked before.

But serious, Bourbon right?!?:)

- Wannabe

matthewmt

WKR
Welcome, I really enjoy Elijah Craig myself but I seldom pack liquor, usually just the beer waiting at the truck but I'll likely take a flask this coming 2019 season.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a bourbon guy myself but I usually don't drink when I'm hunting because I don't want to get dehydrated.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Scotch for this guy ....depends on what have open and what I am in the mood for. Tonight it’s Mccallan 18.
This September for my elk hunt a bottle of dalmore 18 went with me.

OP
WannabeHunter
mmmmm.... Macallan. Caol Ila is my main go to for scotch moods.

We're packing in so beer is out, but Elijah Craig is on the list along with Buffalo Trace. If I wanted to get risky maybe even Wild Turkey 101.
Just a flask for on the mountain as a night cap or for "survival" situations. Not enough for dehydration or a drunk stupor down the hill.

For weight, is it acceptable to use a platypus bladder? (half joking/half serious)

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome!

Usually don’t take anything in the backcountry because I’m usually solo and on the move. There’s usually scotch and beer in the truck.

Next year I’ll likely not be solo so maybe I’ll carry the flask - maybe bring Balvenie Double Wood 12 year.

This year I had Buffalo Trace in the truck and enjoyed both the bourbon and the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
We took Angels Envy this year; I little sip before bed is quite welcoming.

I don't drink while hunting at altitude. I sleep better without it and my body feels better in the morning. Hunting seasons are short. I want to give myself every advantage I can.

There is some really good craft beer waiting for me when I get back home.

Fullfan

WKR
Welcome, I am also one who does not consume alcoholic while elk hunting. I put a lot into going and the last thing I want to do is drink. I can do that at home.

Training is important. Find the biggest steepest hill and climb it, and after several weeks do it with a 40 pound pack. Increase the pack weight every two weeks. And squats help also.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Bourbon in the flask or Platy bottle, small airline shooter of scotch as my celebratory "kill bottle". I go with higher proof (bang for my buck) affordable bourbon, and leave the good stuff in my liquor cabinet at home. Pretty much anything tastes good after a hard day of hiking in the hills! My go-to's are Wild Turkey 101 and Evan Williams BIB (white label).

Welcome to the forum, good luck on your prep and your hunt next fall!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would choose an ice cold 2019 A&W Root Beer, and wait until you're back in camp to enjoy it. Alcohol and altitude together aren't the greatest partners.

Pabst Blue Ribbon

Not sure about you, but I'd pay attention to this guy's advice. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I don't drink while hunting at altitude. I sleep better without it and my body feels better in the morning. Hunting seasons are short. I want to give myself every advantage I can.

There is some really good craft beer waiting for me when I get back home.

My approach as well. I love beer and consume more than my share, but never while hunting. Not even once. My camps have always been alcohol free and will remain that way.

chindits

WKR
I’m poor and old so water works for me in the field. I wish I could still drink but after A-Stan it wrecks my sleep and doesn’t help out the next day either.

OP
WannabeHunter
Lots of great suggestions.

I hope y'all don't think I'm going on a binge while at altitude...that would be silly and a waste of all my work.

Thanks for the all the warm welcomes! If I can't find some small bit of info in a search I'll ask.

On the thought of celebrations.....what about a celebratory cigar?....(back at the truck :rolleyes:)
I don't smoke at all on regular basis. Only a cigar during a boys golf weekend or something.

Thoughts?