Improving Groups -- Form Issue, Arrow Issue, Mental Issue?

A.Hutch

FNG
Arne Moe has a few videos on you tube that cover some basic stuff that wont cost nuthin but a little time

Hutch

Jeff kavanaugh (maybe not spelled correct) has some decent stuff and is one of the best snap shooters out there. He has some pretty good videos on YouTube on release. Arne has a good one helping out a kid on YouTube too that is pretty solid.

Jeff kavanaugh (maybe not spelled correct) has some decent stuff and is one of the best snap shooters out there. He has some pretty good videos on YouTube on release. Arne has a good one helping out a kid on YouTube too that is pretty solid.
It's Garrett Prahl on his DIY Sportsman channel if we're talking about the same one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Form flaws are endemic in Stickbow shooting. The guys that are deadly accurate are like machines....perfect form everytime.

Of course a guy can get a coach...or a mentor...which is by far the best solution.

Filming yourself shooting then self analyzing is good too.

Really, if you are just trying to be good on game- big targets- at 15 yards....a guy doesn't need to go crazy with Stickbows, just shoot and have fun.

Its when you want to be competitive....or be absolutely deadly at 30 yds + is when its worth dialing in your form and aiming system.

_____

OP
The Ri Guy
Wanted to circle back around and thank everyone in this thread for their input. I decided to start by practicing per @Kevin Dill suggestion, working on a consistent draw, holding, shooting, and then once that started to feel second nature I transitioned to focusing on how I was placing my fingers on the string and how I remove them from it at the time of shot. I realized thru these processes that I was flaring my draw elbow out, pinching my other elbow in, dragging my fingers on the string when I released instead of being crisp and clean, holding in an inconsistent spot (still struggling with that one a little), etc. Realization came much quicker taking advice from @Beendare to film my shot sequence (did it from different angles) to see what wasn't consistent.

Can't say how many arrows I've now shot from about 10' away, but those two processes really started to make my form consistent and tighten my groups up A LOT. On top of that, I realized I'm shooting too stiff of a spine, which unfortunately due to $$$ constraints this year I wasn't able to take care of as I already had a ton of 2018 spine Easton Legacy Aluminum arrows. I tried to compensate a bit by cutting my arrows an inch longer, which seems to have worked as a bandaid out to at least 30 yards, but my arrows definitely fly wonky and I know now that it's not necessarily "me".

I decided my effective range this year was within 15 yards to be safe, thankfully our season in Washington was spike only so it didn't really matter anyways. My 15 yard groups are all on the same Matrix hex now and my 30 yard groups are now paper plate size instead of all over my Matrix, hoping to feel confidently lethal out to 30 by next season, shooting constantly until that point.

Thanks again everyone, great lessons here.

Last edited:

sid_22

FNG
I have had great success with getting help from The Push Archery. They have different courses and such you can sign up right from their website.

sid_22

FNG
They also have a YouTube channel that has some good instructional videos on as well

Mudd Foot

WKR
Joel Turner + Clicker + Slow motion video of form = exponential improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Ri guy.....good stuff...you are on your way bro....good to hear.

I still do the blind blade stuff at short range....it helps me focus on the individual components of the shot. I think Foxen in one of the first replies nailed it though....when you can feel that back tension while holding good form is key no matter what you're goals are.

____

Do not stare or burn a hole all the way thru the draw you’ll wind up an inaccurate snap shooting mess. Learn the archery shot thru a shot sequence & back tension. It’s the only way to repeatable accuracy. Find a Coach. Len Cardinale, Rod Jenkins, Tom Clum, Larry Wise etc.

bisblue

WKR
I'm taking the solid archery mechanics course from Tom Klum Sr. It's amazing and a lifetime membership.
It's videos with comments below he responds to.

Wrench

WKR
Fwiw, i have shot instinctively for about 20 years and wasn't until the last couple of years thst i even learned HOW to aim. I am left eye dominant with 20 years of habits, pretty good form and mechanics....but Holy crap learning how to aim helps a lot.