IMR 7828 for hunting out west

Anyone has any real world experience with this powder in weather and altitude changes?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Firehawk

WKR
I live out West at about 4500'. So... I have a bit of a head start vs the lowlanders, but there are certainly people living at a lot higher elevation than me. That said, I have used this powder in my 7MM rem mag and have not noticed any real issues hunting up to 10k feet and in sub zero temperatures. I am sure that there are some, and if we were talking extreme long range hunting, that may become an issue, but at typical ranges, you should never have an issue.

I did switch to IMR7828SSC due to availability several years ago and have stayed that direction.

All the best! FH

OP
Garrett.Stump
I live out West at about 4500'. So... I have a bit of a head start vs the lowlanders, but there are certainly people living at a lot higher elevation than me. That said, I have used this powder in my 7MM rem mag and have not noticed any real issues hunting up to 10k feet and in sub zero temperatures. I am sure that there are some, and if we were talking extreme long range hunting, that may become an issue, but at typical ranges, you should never have an issue.

I did switch to IMR7828SSC due to availability several years ago and have stayed that direction.

All the best! FH
I was working up a load in my 28 nosler at 700 alt, retumbo, h1000 we're not what this rifle liked, it was the standard 7828. That's good to hear, I've never used this powder.

Ewaragnar

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve taken deer and elk up to 500 yards in elevations from 5k to 8k vertical feet in multiple states with temps ranging from hot to negative with 7828ssc. No issues.

OP
Garrett.Stump
I’ve taken deer and elk up to 500 yards in elevations from 5k to 8k vertical feet in multiple states with temps ranging from hot to negative with 7828ssc. No issues.
That's also great news,thank you.

OP
Garrett.Stump
I'm going to be honest here. If you're worried about altitude stability of a powder, you might be overthinking things a bit to much.
I'm not worried about altitude stability I only brought up altitude because it matters when it comes to point of impact.

OP
Garrett.Stump
I live here in Ohio at about 700 elevation, I sighted in the rifle when it was about 80°, and will be hunting Colorado's second season anywhere from 8,000 to 12,000 and was just concerned about the powders ability to be consistent in those temperatures that time of the year I understand the air is thinner so my point of impact should be higher but my velocities should also be lower because of the temperature difference so I'm wondering what has been people's experience with this powder.

MThuntr

WKR
I used to use 7828 not have an issue with temp changes and elevation (currently at 5300' elevation and shot at 8500') however I suggest that you shoot your rifle when you get to CO to confirm if POI. That should happen regardless because things happen. You're probably overthinking and unless you're shooting well beyond 500 the minute differences in velocity won't really matter in a hunting situation.

OP
Garrett.Stump
I used to use 7828 not have an issue with temp changes and elevation (currently at 5300' elevation and shot at 8500') however I suggest that you shoot your rifle when you get to CO to confirm if POI. That should happen regardless because things happen. You're probably overthinking and unless you're shooting well beyond 500 the minute differences in velocity won't really matter in a hunting situation.
I understand everything you just said and yes I always recheck zero when I get out west. I've just heard horror stories about 7828 and unfortunately this rifle loves 7828. Normally when I'm heading out west I'm shooting my 300 which fortunately for me loves extreme Hodgkin powders which are supposedly designed for temperature swings.

amassi

WKR
Figure a velocity change of 1.25' per degree.
I used to use it it a couple belted magnums because it was super accurate and normally great velocity to boot. Just had to account for a slower speed hunting in 40* weather than my loading and summer shooting that normally is 85-105*

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have a load for my 280AI that uses IMR7828SSC and 140 gr. Nosler Accubonds or Partitions. Shot an elk at 450 yards and a mule deer at 200yards first year. Temps were in the 10 degree area. The next year an antelope doe at 300 yards around 50 degrees. The next year a mule deer buck at 300 yards in about 40 degree temps. Last year a grizzly bear 158 yards roughly 38 degrees. It seems to be a good powder for this cartridge.

OP
Garrett.Stump
I have a load for my 280AI that uses IMR7828SSC and 140 gr. Nosler Accubonds or Partitions. Shot an elk at 450 yards and a mule deer at 200yards first year. Temps were in the 10 degree area. The next year an antelope doe at 300 yards around 50 degrees. The next year a mule deer buck at 300 yards in about 40 degree temps. Last year a grizzly bear 158 yards roughly 38 degrees. It seems to be a good powder for this cartridge.
Dang dude way to get it!

amassi

WKR
I'm picking up a 280ai soon. What barrel length do you have and what velocity is that 140?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Fotis

FNG
Anyone has any real world experience with this powder in weather and altitude changes?

Yes. Used it here in Wyoming in many of my Bees. From 240 -300 Wby that is. (I own every WBY chambering). For the longest time you could not get a slow enough powder for them. Then the RL series Vihtavouri came about and slow # like IMR 8133 and Retumbo.
Anyway back to the question. I live and hunt in Wyoming and hunt from 6000 to 10000 feet from 75 degrees to the low 10's. No issues at all with it. I specifically use IMR 7828SSC