In Grown Toenails

jmillo

FNG
I saw Steve Rinella cut his own in a video. I do the same now and no more ingrowns.

I get mine on the inside of both big toes. They grow right into the skin fold. I have to cut the corners then use a pair of tweezers to pull the rest out. Sure feels good after but I have to do it about once every few months.

Poser

WKR
Had ingrown toenails as a teen and this is what my doctor told me. Cut them straight and let them grow out a little long. Also make sure your shoes are fitting properly. I cut several out myself. Hurts like hell, but the relief afterwards was worth it.

But if you have a more round shape toe, you’re going to have quite a bit of toenail overhang at the edges if you cut this way. It may work for square shaped toes, but I don’t see how this wouldn’t cause you immense problems when wearing tighter fitting footwear such as ski boots or doing sustained and steep downhilling under the load of a pack.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on getting part of the nailbed or cuticle killed.

I've also had good luck getting some sort of pedicure specific spatula and using it to lift the sides pretty regularly. It also allows me to see if there's any burrs developing.

The best fix I've encountered was going to bigger shoes. I wore 13s for years, probably biased because that's the biggest shoe you can reliably find in stores. I used to get ingrowns at least once a year. I switched to 14s two years ago and it hasn't happened since.

TxxAgg

WKR
I've never had an ingrown, but I did screw up a toe once by wearing hiking boots too small. I ended up stubbing the toe a week later and the nail was nearly vertical. I sanitized some pliers and jerked it out. Boy that hurt!

363953A8-A4C8-4DEC-B70A-C7C831B50BA4.jpeg

I apologize that my post is off topic but @TxxAgg post got me wanting to share.

Had a nice sturdy, well built dining chair tip over once and land directly on my tow. Completely ripped off the left and bottom of the nail. Was extremely painful. Took a few drinking sessions of cutting and pulling to get the right side off but finally got her.

That god it wasn’t during hunting season. Was pretty sensitive for awhile and took quite sometime to grow back.

Attachments

• B63E4EC0-417E-42D4-A57D-161CD865E4A4.jpeg
    B63E4EC0-417E-42D4-A57D-161CD865E4A4.jpeg
    360.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 4790CFE4-9199-4CB6-8186-7815361A544C.jpeg
    4790CFE4-9199-4CB6-8186-7815361A544C.jpeg
    535.5 KB · Views: 18
Wet some cotton with peroxide and tuck it up under the nail and it’ll help the nail kind of grow up and out so you can trim it straight across. Or like said above have the edges killed. My daughter had it done and is super happy

Just spend $75 and 2 days of being uncomfortable and get them cut out and killed. I did both my big toes, both sides of the nail last summer and it’s changed my life for the better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axlrod

WKR
Had then into my teen years back in the 70's. My grandfather showed me how to fix it. Take a sharp knife and set the edge on top of the nail. scrape from the cuticle to the end of the nail. This removes a narrow strip of materiel in the center of the nail forcing the edges of the nail to grow inward, away from the edges of the toe. You can scrape quite a bit off with multiple passes. it doesn't work overnight, and you need to touch it up every few weeks. After I quit having problems I still did this for a year or so, and have had zero problems for 30+ years.

Boy howdy I was not expecting to cringe at some bloody toenail pics this evening. But yeah, I'm in the camp of dig out the corners that get ingrown with a blunt object like the hooked nail file on a set of clippers. Then go to town cutting off as much of the nail as I can stomach with some side cutters. Rinse and repeat ever couple of months.

I had ingrown toenails on my big toes till in my 30s. Then I came down with toenail fungus and haven't had an ingrown toenail since. I even refused my doctor's offer to cure the fungus. It's the lesser of two evils.

hwy1strat

WKR
There’s a book out there called “Fixing your feet” and it’s all about how to take care of your feet and fix any issues you may encounter. It’s a great book and the knowledge has served me well. It’s worth the read

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
I apologize in advance for the silly question: for those of you who have had the edge of the cuticle killed, does it leave you with a funny looking toenail?

I ask because I don’t suffer from severe ingrown toenails, but my nails do cause issues from time to time.

I apologize in advance for the silly question: for those of you who have had the edge of the cuticle killed, does it leave you with a funny looking toenail?

I ask because I don’t suffer from severe ingrown toenails, but my nails do cause issues from time to time.

Mine look extremely normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk