IN reach vs Zoleo

Bivy Stick has some weird reviews on Amazon (I know not the most reliable source). Where did y’all get yours from? Any trouble setting it up?
I ordered mine directly from the website and had no issues at all setting up once I signed up online for service.

Yeah man I do the plan that gives me like 250 messages a month for 35 bucks. The only other fee involved was a 50 dollar initial fee to get a number assigned to you. That is a one time fee unlike the Garmin which has a yearly fee plus the monthly fee with way less messages given. I have never come close to my 250 a month and I use it alot. Another plus is it will automatically switch to cell service for messaging if you are in a spot and it picks up your cell carrier.
What garmin has a yearly fee? I had a mini for 2 years and never paid a startup or yearly fee.

MtnMuley

WKR
Dumped Garmin and went with Zoleo. Absolutely zero regrets all the way around. Those In-Reach's cost a us a couple trophy animals by not sending messages several times the next day. Have had many Zoleo messages send as fast as I hit the send button.

Delta21

FNG
Any concern about having to depend on phone Bluetooth for the zoleo to work? If understand correctly, if phone goes south for whatever reason still have comms using garmin??

Zaccav505

FNG
I went with Zoleo. I liked it, will definitely use it for several more years, worked very well in remote WY. Almost too well though. Sometimes it is a good thing for people to not be able to get ahold of you... I really enjoy the check-in function. tells people you are ok and your exact location. The location is very accurate too. Thankfully I have never had to use the SOS function but I imagine that it would work well too.

Zaccav505

FNG
Any concern about having to depend on phone Bluetooth for the zoleo to work? If understand correctly, if phone goes south for whatever reason still have comms using garmin??
Without the phone hooked up you can still send check-ins and SOS messages. you just cannot type them.

rcb2000

WKR
I went with Garmin mini 2, mostly for the fact that if my phone craps out or loses battery, I still have a solid comms and navigation device.

Neuro

FNG
Id be a lot more eager for either model if they came with a prepaid option here. The monthly fees really sting as someone not going out so often.

Neuro

FNG
The basic inreach plan is $12 month
Its around $25aud a month for the basic cancel any time plan here in Australia. A small price to pay for peace of mind but combined with all the other costs to take a trip, that adds up quick. If I could pay $25 and get those 30 days of use spread throughout the year it would be a much more reasonable deal for me.

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
I know it it dependent upon cover and location--but has anyone done a side by side test to see what platform transmits faster?

We use the inReach units for SAR missions and hunting and they work well. Only issue is that sometimes it can take a few minutes for the unit to send and receive through satellite. GPS coordinates are accurate if you need to find someone to help them pack an animal out.

After using both I will always be packing my Zoleo. Battery seems to last forever. Can put it in my pack and it doesn't lose service. The plans are cheap. You always have your cell phone on you so not having to worry about texting on a Lil screen is super nice. The App works flawlessly and doesn't ever miss a beat. And for how much the zoleo cost its a win in every department.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk