In Reach

G Posik

WKR
Has anyone used the In Reach by DeLorme with an android phone? I really do not need a new GPS so was looking at just getting the In Reach for the two way texting. It would be nice while in the outback to have some communication.

Glenn

Mike7

WKR
Thread revival!

I got a good deal on an "In Reach" a couple of months ago, and so picked it up after seeing some of the not so good customer service reviews on the SPOT Messengers and their higher cost. I've used the In Reach several times now in the cell phone blank zone that is N. ID and so far it has worked great. It is very cheap, which is nice since most months of the year, I will never use it. I have it paired with my Samsung smart phone and it works with this to send a message to anyone or by itself will work without the phone to send one of three different prearranged messages to my wife.

If I ever am lucky enough to go on a wilderness trip in Alaska, then I would likely just rent a satellite phone. This however so far seems to be a good affordable safe alternative for those weekend trips a few hours away from home, so that I can let someone know that I am okay but late, or let someone know that I have a broken ankle and need my butt saved. :)

OP
G Posik

G Posik

WKR
I actually picked one up shortly after the original post. Used it a good bit this year. In the text message with the cell phone was able to get wx reports sent to me and communicate with the wife and kids. Also with the phone it becomes a back up GPS with some really good detail maps. Well worth the $.

Glenn

Craig4791

WKR
I actually picked one up shortly after the original post. Used it a good bit this year. In the text message with the cell phone was able to get wx reports sent to me and communicate with the wife and kids. Also with the phone it becomes a back up GPS with some really good detail maps. Well worth the $.

Glenn

So can you get data then as well with the in reach? Send picture messages?