In search of the lightest/packable late season whitetail set

I was wondering if anybody has the weight on the Cabela’s Berber jacket or pants? I’ve heard they’re heavy but are they as heavy as a Sitka fanatic system? I currently have an Autumnwood outfitters parka and bibs and while they are warm they are not fun to pack in 2 miles on my back to a treestand. I’m looking for something more packable but equal warmth to throw on once on stand. My dad has a fanatic system so I have a sense for how heavy that is. As of now I’ve been looking at the Berber system from Cabela’s as well as the Predator Micro Fleece system. Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

i like it but will be heavy to pack a long ways. Two miles does not seem like a long ways. I do not know about the sitka you mention in comparison.

Cabelas Berber Fleece is about as packable and light as a round hay bale. I used a set for years in the tree stand for whitetails. It is tough to pack through the woods and soaks up moisture like a sponge. On the warmth per ounce scale, it can be easily beaten.

Consider wearing down jackets and pants with just a cheap fleece layer over to quiet them down. If you buy solid color down, this combo is likely the same price, much lighter and more packable. Definitely more versatile as well.

One thing that I liked about the Cabelas Fleece was the outfitter camo pattern. When looking up from the ground after the leaves fall, almost every pattern is much too dark. The outfitter camo pattern is a nice blend of light colors.

Cabelas Berber Fleece is about as packable and light as a round hay bale. I used a set for years in the tree stand for whitetails. It is tough to pack through the woods and soaks up moisture like a sponge. On the warmth per ounce scale, it can be easily beaten.

Consider wearing down jackets and pants with just a cheap fleece layer over to quiet them down. If you buy solid color down, this combo is likely the same price, much lighter and more packable. Definitely more versatile as well.
This. I love it for cold non active stuff, as the wind blocker works great, but it's not overly breathable

OP
H
Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ve been going back and forth between the two fleece systems and just taking a Kifaru lost park parka and pants. I already have the LP system but worry they will be too loud when I’m moving around and drawing my bow. The Sitka system is around 46 ounces for the jacket and 53 ounces for the bibs. So over 6lbs for the whole thing.

OP
H
Bring your LP set and put a thin fleece jacket over your coat. That's exactly what I do.
Do you think the Lost Park Parka and Lost Park Pants plus fleece jacket and pants would be lighter and more packable than the Cabelas Berber set alone? I worry about having too many layers on also. I’d probably be wearing a Sitka core lightweight, fanatic hoodie, then the parka and fleece like you suggested or just the core lightweight, fanatic hoodie and the Cabela’s Berber. I just still want to be able to draw my bow comfortably.

Last edited:
I hunted my first couple of years with a puffy inside my soft shell. It is light and fairly packabke although putting it on and off is a pain.

That sounds close to what I wear. I hike in with a FL 200 weight base and a Peloton 240. Then I dig my LPP and fleece out of my pack and slip it on. Usually can leave em together. I don't have the LP pants, just wear some generic down side zip pants that I put on at the bottom of the tree also.

The LP will pack down, not as much as down but it does pack. The Berber Fleece doesnt get any smaller than what it is. Also, when it gets wet it gets heavy fast and takes a long time to dry. So I would end up strapping it to the outside of my pack so it didnt soak the contents of my pack. Strapped to the outside of the pack it would then start catching on brush.

I like wearing it in the tree but due to the long hikes into my stands through brush and thick timber, I sent it down the road.

The new whitetail coats from FL interest me until I see the price tags. I'd rather spend my money on western gear and then make it work for stand hunting since stand hunting isn't as technical. But that's just my opinion. It all depends on your priorities and uses.

Another note. I dont think you need fleece over your pants. I only wear it over my coat for drawing my bow. When sitting with a rifle I don't wear my fleece layer.

OP
H
That sounds close to what I wear. I hike in with a FL 200 weight base and a Peloton 240. Then I dig my LPP and fleece out of my pack and slip it on. Usually can leave em together. I don't have the LP pants, just wear some generic down side zip pants that I put on at the bottom of the tree also.

The LP will pack down, not as much as down but it does pack. The Berber Fleece doesnt get any smaller than what it is. Also, when it gets wet it gets heavy fast and takes a long time to dry. So I would end up strapping it to the outside of my pack so it didnt soak the contents of my pack. Strapped to the outside of the pack it would then start catching on brush.

I like wearing it in the tree but due to the long hikes into my stands through brush and thick timber, I sent it down the road.
Thanks for the feedback. I can see that working and you made some good points about the Berber that I hadn’t thought of. Any chance you know where you got your lightweight fleece jacket?

*zap*

WKR
I just carry the fanatic set or my kelvin down ws jacket and Cabelas standhunter bibs if it is real cold.. The fanatic stuff is pretty nice and well designed.