In the Market for a new Mystery Ranch Pack - This may be your sign?

Hi,

I'm not a seller of packs or associated with BlackOvis but I had been looking for a pack for a while and had kinda settled on a Mystery Ranch Metcalf Hunting Pack. I am not here to debate whether this is the best pack out there or not, just thought I would post this because BlackOvis has 25% off on New Mystery Ranch packs for a short time (Memorial day sale). In additional to that deal, if you purchase one then add a Sitka pack cover to your cart the cost of the cover ($49) will be discounted from your purchase, so in effect is Free. Also economy shipping is free. The 25% discount is only good for a short time so if you are looking for a Mystery Ranch Pack like I was, this may be your SIGN. For what it's worth I saw it as my sign and have one on the way.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the heads up
I just ordered the pop-up 38 that I have been wanting to try

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

OP
Roughwater
I'm 70 and this is my first pack actually designed for hunting and my first pack actually designed halfway properly to carry a real load so I'm thinking I'm going to like it pretty well too. They have made some positive upgrades for 2020 and the free matching Sitka pack cover is a great bonus.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered a Metcalf, a Metcalf women’s for my wife and a pop up 28 for my 12 yr old son. I didn’t notice the free pack cover until after I had already checked out and placed the order. I tried calling to see if they would still honor that deal and add it to my order but couldn’t get through to anyone but an automated recording. Hopefully I can get ahold of someone Tuesday morning and see if there’s anything they can due. Man I’m such a dumb a$$ sometimes

OP
Roughwater
I just ordered a Metcalf, a Metcalf women’s for my wife and a pop up 28 for my 12 yr old son. I didn’t notice the free pack cover until after I had already checked out and placed the order. I tried calling to see if they would still honor that deal and add it to my order but couldn’t get through to anyone but an automated recording. Hopefully I can get ahold of someone Tuesday morning and see if there’s anything they can due. Man I’m such a dumb a$$ sometimes

Join the crowd. We all find ways to screw up. Hopefully Blackovis will be gratefull for the sale of 2 packs and help you out. They seem like good folks at that company. Leave a message with them if you haven't already? Let us know how you made out after contacting them and good luck.

OP
Roughwater
Now, if only Rokslide10 code worked :/ Sitting on a fence. lol

I wouldn't sit too long on that fence. Summer will soon be here and hikers will be pulling backpacks off the shelf even at regular prices and companies will have less need to offer a sale anytime soon.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice deal!

I was in the market recently and was considering the Metcalf or Selway 60, but ended up with the Terraframe 50 . Little smaller than the Metcalf and Selway, and not advertised as a "hunting specific" pack, but still has the same Overload feature and is claimed to be able to carry 150lbs.

A few differences between the Terraframes and hunting specific packs, but man, they're not really that big of a difference and the Terraframe packs are quite a bit less while still being very, very good quality.

I was looking for just one pack that I could use for day trips hunting, scouting, training hikes, and 1-3 night backpacking trips (non-hunting backpacking), and this pack seem to fit the bill a little better for someone who wanted/can only have one pack for everything and the Metcalf and Selway were just a little bit too big for day use, and if the Terraframe 50 is a little too small for a backpacking trip I can just use the Overload feature.

Picked up my current version Terraframe 50 for $280.

Last edited:
OP
Roughwater
Very nice deal!

I was in the market recently and was considering the Metcalf or Selway 60, but ended up with the Terraframe 50 . Little smaller than the Metcalf and Selway, and not advertised as a "hunting specific" pack, but still has the same Overload feature and is claimed to be able to carry 150lbs.

A few differences between the Terraframes and hunting specific packs, but man, they're not really that big of a difference and the Terraframe packs are quite a bit less while still being very, very good quality.

I was looking for just one pack that I could use for day trips hunting, scouting, training hikes, and 1-3 night backpacking trips (non-hunting backpacking), and this pack seem to fit the bill a little better for someone who wanted/can only have one pack for everything and the Metcalf and Selway were just a little bit too big for day use, and if the Terraframe 50 is a little too small for a backpacking trip I can just use the Overload feature.

Picked up my current version Terraframe 50 for $280.

Makes sense to me and almost a 100 dollar savings on sale!

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Makes sense to me and almost a 100 dollar savings on sale!

That was my opinion as well, but then you could argue it would be worth it to spend $100 more to get the exact pack you want.

I think if I was an experienced hunter, did a lot of multi-day trips, and really could appreciate the small differences between the packs it would make sense, but I really can't see the Terraframe 50 letting me down. It's a sweet pack.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I was in the market for a frame pack and just ordered the Metcalf. From the reviews they said it is a little heavy but rides like a Cadillac. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khel

FNG
I wouldn't sit too long on that fence. Summer will soon be here and hikers will be pulling backpacks off the shelf even at regular prices and companies will have less need to offer a sale anytime soon.

I don't think backpacking crowd is looking at the same packs, but... I've ordered Pop-up 28 anyway. :)
Thanks for the nudge! Free cover and hat helped as well.

CoolRain8

FNG
I found the Metcalf just a little small, but a big thumbs up for the Mystery Ranch Marshall.

OP
Roughwater
I found the Metcalf just a little small, but a big thumbs up for the Mystery Ranch Marshall.

If a person's Idea of a backpack is to be able to stuff everything inside it you need in it for a week long pack in, it probably is a bit small. For me, when packing in, I have this foam sleeping mat I lay on. It's just not going in a pack unless all I want in the pack is the mat. So I hang it on the side or back. Finally a couple years ago bought a very compressible down sleeping bag which can go in a pack but before that I had a cheaper, less compressible bag and it probably would have taken up half the pack by it's self so it would get strapped to my previous pack. The Metcalf will be the roomiest pack I have owned so far and with me being 70, probably is the last pack I will need to buy.
All my extra clothing and food will probably fit inside plus a water bladder and other camping essentials and like I said, something really bulky I'm fine with it hanging off the pack. I'll probably end up using it for a day pack as well though it's bigger than I need for a day pack, but if I get lucky and have some meat to haul I'll have everything right there and won't have to make a separate trip to camp or the truck for my meat hauler.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
If a person's Idea of a backpack is to be able to stuff everything inside it you need in it for a week long pack in, it probably is a bit small. For me, when packing in, I have this foam sleeping mat I lay on. It's just not going in a pack unless all I want in the pack is the mat. So I hang it on the side or back. Finally a couple years ago bought a very compressible down sleeping bag which can go in a pack but before that I had a cheaper, less compressible bag and it probably would have taken up half the pack by it's self so it would get strapped to my previous pack. The Metcalf will be the roomiest pack I have owned so far and with me being 70, probably is the last pack I will need to buy.
All my extra clothing and food will probably fit inside plus a water bladder and other camping essentials and like I said, something really bulky I'm fine with it hanging off the pack. I'll probably end up using it for a day pack as well though it's bigger than I need for a day pack, but if I get lucky and have some meat to haul I'll have everything right there and won't have to make a separate trip to camp or the truck for my meat hauler.

It is interesting coming from the backpacking and alpine climbing world how much hunters seem to pack. I get it, it's a totally different sport/activity, and there is more/certain specific gear that you need to carry as a hunter. But with that said it seems lot a lot of people around here like to carry everything including the kitchen sink even if it's a quick 1-3 day hunting trip. Sure, it's not hunting, but you're essentially carrying the same gear when you're goin gout for a multi-day climbing trip up in the mountains including multiple ropes (if you carry half ropes) and a climbing rack, water, food, warm and weather-proof clothing, shelter, etc. Hunters seem to put themselves through torture carrying these massive packs filled with doubles and triples of items and every possible "what if" scenario. It's definitely been an eye-opening journey so far reading about what people carry in their packs.

OP
Roughwater
It is interesting coming from the backpacking and alpine climbing world how much hunters seem to pack. I get it, it's a totally different sport/activity, and there is more/certain specific gear that you need to carry as a hunter. But with that said it seems lot a lot of people around here like to carry everything including the kitchen sink even if it's a quick 1-3 day hunting trip. Sure, it's not hunting, but you're essentially carrying the same gear when you're goin gout for a multi-day climbing trip up in the mountains including multiple ropes (if you carry half ropes) and a climbing rack, water, food, warm and weather-proof clothing, shelter, etc. Hunters seem to put themselves through torture carrying these massive packs filled with doubles and triples of items and every possible "what if" scenario. It's definitely been an eye-opening journey so far reading about what people carry in their packs.

I'm sure some hunters over do it with what we bring but most of us are aware of the cost of the extra weight and we have our individual reasons for doing so. I go out west from NC. When I leave NC the average daily temp in the fall is probably in the 80's and the highs more than that. I get out west and I will likely be camping at 7K ft or higher. I might see some highs in the 80's up there but the night and morning lows can be in the 30's. It's an even worse temp change coming out in October. There is a fair chance of seeing snow out there especially in October but can happen even in Sept at Elevation. Just saying we southerners aren't in any way acclimated to the Cold yet that time of year. The older you are the harder it is to deal with that quick change so I being older bring more cold weather gear with me when I pack in. 2 years ago when in Utah when I packed in a couple miles and at only about 8300 ft elevation it was dipping down into the teens and single digits overnight. A couple nights I wondered if I could make it through the night in my little tent. I had half my hunting cloths on and in what is supposed to be a 0 degree bag but I was still cold.
Bad thing too is that the nights are Soooo long in the mountains and once you are cold, without moving a lot or having some real heat source it's hard to warm up. So- I probably pack in more clothing than most would and more than most need but I wouldn't if I didn't have to. A guy I know started up blog that essentially tells you everything you need to know about what to pack for a Elk hunt. He has been a very successful DIY Elk hunter and is owned by no company and if he suggests a product he has tried it and uses it himself. His name is Baxter Bowman and here is his webpage. I highly regard his opinion: https://www.baxterbowman.com/

OP
Roughwater

NMFramed,

I had sent BlackOvis a email on your behalf over the weekend in order to try to help you out. They just emailed me back asking me for your name as they said no one emailed them from this weekend with that issue, but I don't have that info of course. If you send me a PM with your name I will give it to BO to help resolve this issue for you. If you have already resolved it please let me know?
Terry

600gr

FNG
Thanks for the heads up. I bought the Pop Up 38 I've been looking at for awhile. Just arrived yesterday.