In the market for a Ti or Aluminum Pot to boil & drink coffee from

BSLugnut

FNG
I am investigating switching from a nested stove system (Jetboil Flash) to an individualized system to save some weight and some cooking versatility.

I am thinking of going with MSR PocketRocket Deluxe.

Where I am hung up, is the pot to boil water for the meals and to be able to drink coffee from without burning my lips.

The Jetboil and MSR nested systems have pots with a plastic lid that permits drinking from the pot without burning your lips on the pot. I am looking for stand-alone pot with a lid to boil 16oz water.

It is a bonus if the pot will support the storage of an 8oz/227g fuel canister along with the MSR PocketRocket Deluxe and has measurement marks on the inside of the pot for measuring out water for the meals and coffee.

Might anyone have suggestions on a pot that fits those needs? Or am I searching for a ninja cat riding a unicorn?!

Drenalin

WKR
A Toaks 650 doesn't have enough height for a longer stove like the Pocket Rocket Deluxe. The 750 probably does. The titanium dissipates heat quickly enough that I haven't burned my lips even drinking just a few minutes after boiling.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I switched over to this style from Jetboil and saved a ton of weight and bulk. I went with the Toaks Ti 650 I believe and the stove is Snow Peak. I got some of the Hotlips, but I haven't needed them yet. I used it for coffee and oatmeal on a scouting trip. Worked great! Good luck.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I use the same setup, though I have found the GS100 stove is pretty bad in wind, so will be trying the Soto Windmaster with triflex pot support. I had a classic Pocket Rocket, but did not love it. The Deluxe Pocket Rocket appears to be better, and to have copied the Windmaster's burner.
I switched over to this style from Jetboil and saved a ton of weight and bulk. I went with the Toaks Ti 650 I believe and the stove is Snow Peak. I got some of the Hotlips, but I haven't needed them yet. I used it for coffee and oatmeal on a scouting trip. Worked great! Good luck.

CJF

WKR
I have a titanium pot but carry an additional insulated mug for drinking coffee. The titanium is great at a lot of things but insulting your hot coffee is not one of them. If I set my coffee down for a couple minutes to glass something then the drink gets cold. It’s worth it to me having the additional mug.

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I run the SOTO Thermostack with a Windmaster and love it. The titanium cup boils water very quickly and then becomes the outer sleeve for your drinking cup. This air gap insulation between the cups keeps your coffee hot and bare hands cool. I only use the titanium cup for water so it stays clean. The stainless insert cup gets everything from coffee to oatmeal in it. I built my own Dyneema bags for the stove to nest inside the cups. Total weight for the 2 cups, lid, stove, pot holder and handle is 8.5 ounces. I am mostly a solo backpacker/hunter so the small size is not an issue at all.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=soto+the...fix=soto+thermostack,aps,107&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

WoodBow

WKR
I would also recommend a dedicated insualted coffee cup if you like to enjoy your coffee. It is a pretty minimal weight penalty to have hot coffee from start to finish. The stuff gets cold fast in a cup designed for boiling, especially when it is cold outside.

OP
B

BSLugnut

FNG
I would also recommend a dedicated insualted coffee cup if you like to enjoy your coffee. It is a pretty minimal weight penalty to have hot coffee from start to finish. The stuff gets cold fast in a cup designed for boiling, especially when it is cold outside.
Thanks, I have read the Ti cups cool your hot coffee pretty quickly in cooler temps.

OP
B

BSLugnut

FNG
I ended up purchasing the Soto WindMaster Stove with 4Flex, as the data and feedback showed that it was more fuel efficient than the MSR PocketRocket Deluxe both in and out of the wind.

Unfortunately, my local shop doesn't carry a lot of pots/mugs for me to see which ones will fit either the 4oz or 8oz fuel canister with the Soto WindMaster Stove under the lid. So, I will be buying and trying a few out.

I will give the Toaks, FireMaple, Seek Outside mugs a look, as I may have two sizes and the along with the Soto Thermostack Cook Set Combo provides some additional flexibility including a double-wall (not sealed) cup. I may take the mug/fuel set that fits the trip.

The toaks pots and cookware are awesome. Snow peak also has some nice stuff. Most everything you can get on Amazon but I’m sure there are some affiliate links on here that sell them.

I just bought this same pot. Halulite minimalist 2 . I fit a small canister and my MSR pocket rocket deluxe sideways in this. Also a Mini bic and the rubber pot holder.

Last edited: