In your opinion. Cheaper Binos and Spotter or better Binos

ZackP

WKR
Also forgot to mention, if the friend your going with is already set up with a decent spotter, that should make your choice a lot easier.

Buy higher quality bins and a tripod and roll with it. Use his spotter for evaluation.

If you get cheap glass you will probably regret it quickly and upgrade like i did, but maybe not. I would save up and get the best binos you can and put em on a tripod, then save up for a spotter later if i were you. You'd be surprised what good binos on a tripod can do, and elk are huge, blonde, usually not alone and way easier to spot than deer anyway

Ucsdryder

WKR
Id put it all in binoculars.
I’ll second this, but how about high end binoculars then a tripod setup that will work with a tripod down the road. I was amazed at what I could see when I put my ZEISS 10x42 on a tripod!

Honyock

WKR
Another vote for binos. You can pick up a pair of Zeiss Conquest H D 10x42 demos from Europtics for 750.

Binos!

I bought cheap Vortex binos the first time and Vortex razor 65mm spotter.

Upgraded to SLC’s which you should be able to find used for your price. Spotter will be next to go, as I’m not a fan of my Vortex stuff. To many warranty claims for me to trust them in the field.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I agree with most who have posted - get the best binos within your budget and a tripod setup. If you can’t find used Swarovskis that interest you, take a look at the Meopta Meostar 10x42s. I am not saying that they are just as good as SLCs, but they are darn close.

elkguide

WKR
From my experience, I use my binoculars at least 95% of the time and my spotter hardly ever comes out of my pack. I would spend your entire budget on binoculars. I am an admitted Swarovski fanboy. When I finally got sick of buying a "little bit better" glass each year and worked a little more overtime and bought a pair of Swarovski 10X42s, I realized that I had been very foolish to have tried to save a little money. While I have tried a bunch of the newest ideas over the years and then realized just what a waste of money it was, I have never regretted the money that I have spent on really good glass.
Todays lower tier glass is way better than it used to be but Alpha glass is still Alpha glass. I run Swarovski binoculars, most of my rifles wear Swarovski glass and my my spotter is the Maven S1a and they serve my purposes well.
Get out and look through some good glass and have fun.
A good pair of binoculars is a lifetime purchase.

tdhanses

WKR
From my experience, I use my binoculars at least 95% of the time and my spotter hardly ever comes out of my pack. I would spend your entire budget on binoculars. I am an admitted Swarovski fanboy. When I finally got sick of buying a "little bit better" glass each year and worked a little more overtime and bought a pair of Swarovski 10X42s, I realized that I had been very foolish to have tried to save a little money. While I have tried a bunch of the newest ideas over the years and then realized just what a waste of money it was, I have never regretted the money that I have spent on really good glass.
Todays lower tier glass is way better than it used to be but Alpha glass is still Alpha glass. I run Swarovski binoculars, most of my rifles wear Swarovski glass and my my spotter is the Maven S1a and they serve my purposes well.
Get out and look through some good glass and have fun.
A good pair of binoculars is a lifetime purchase.
I did the same just once I got over swaro’s I sold mine and went to Leica, for my eyes I prefer Leica, my swarovision EL’s were great but I just prefer Leica over them, haven’t looked back since or wanted to change.

elkguide

WKR
Everybody's eyes are different. I tell people that I see things diferently because I had my eyes zapped many years ago so what do you see?
The Leicas are amazing glass but they just don't feel as good in my hands. If they felt better I wouldn't hesitate to own them.

Hornpout

FNG
I always advise buying the best binos you can afford first. You won't regret the purchase.

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I carried a set of Maven C1 binoculars and my dads cheaper vortex spotter this year. I pretty only used the binos on a tripod. I think I took out the spotter once in 7 days of hunting. Won’t be carrying it next year. I would spend the money on a tripod and binoculars. You might be surprised how much more you see when you put them on a tripod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dsmless

FNG
I carried my leupold gold ring spotter last year on an elk archery hunt for 1 full day.
Never used it- just unneeded weight. It sat in the truck at camp the rest of the hunt.
I use Tract 12 power binos on a tripod with a pan head. Just this alone will run you under $1000 including taxes and will help you find all the elk you need.
The rest of the money invest in some boots or a backpack.

With a $1200 budget I would spend it all on binos and worry about a spotter down the road. The binos will get used on every hunt. You should be able to find a pair of swaro els used in that price range and won’t need upgrade later.

BWMhunts

FNG
You’ve probably made your decision by now lol. I’d go all in on binos. If you went cheap on the binos you’d almost 100% talk yourself into upgrading down the road, might as well get some good glass now and enjoy em. Goodluck in CO