Incline with pack weight VS Running for distance (2miles)

*zap*

WKR
The premier alpine/endurance coaches say to do the vast majority of cardio under 75% of max heart rate for the best results.

Try buying a different book and also it would be nice to stop being so insulting to other forum members.

ianpadron

WKR
The premier alpine/endurance coaches say to do the vast majority of cardio under 75% of max heart rate for the best results.

Try buying a different book and also it would be nice to stop being so insulting to other forum members.
You went from recommending fasted LISS which is 50-65% MHR to now talking about 75%...

I acknowledged in multiple posts that the majority of volume should likely fall between 65 and 85% MHR...

So now we are likely as close to agreement as we are going to get.

Telling me to choose a different book would be like telling someone to pick a different book than the Bible to learn about Christianity lol. IT IS THE GOLD STANDARD by which all coaches are tested and certified.

I've blown waaaayyyy too much time on this thread today, hopefully someone will pick up a few nuggets to make it worth my time.

*zap*

WKR
Your definition of liss is what is is, not everyone describes liss as below 65%. Suffice it to say zone 1 which is low intensity. described by some as 55-75% is what I was referencing. If you look, various sources will list liss at different intensities. But generally under 70% is low intensity.

But your really splitting hairs, kinda like calorie in-out became high nutrient diet. I have news for you, the same caloric intake over the same time period while doing the same exercises will produce different results in the same person based on macro %'s. Which is why calories in -out is not the end all of fat loss. Fat loss, not weight loss.

Hopefully no one picks up the nugget that all over 80% cardio is what they should be doing to go into the mountains or loose weight.

Sorry I’m a little old to be getting into pissing matches with children. So have a good evening

*zap*

WKR
Sorry I’m a little old to be getting into pissing matches with children. So have a good evening
Seems to me your the child. You come out of nowhere with a childish comment calling people girls.....contributed nothing of value to anything.

You went from recommending fasted LISS which is 50-65% MHR to now talking about 75%...

I acknowledged in multiple posts that the majority of volume should likely fall between 65 and 85% MHR...

So now we are likely as close to agreement as we are going to get.

Telling me to choose a different book would be like telling someone to pick a different book than the Bible to learn about Christianity lol. IT IS THE GOLD STANDARD by which all coaches are tested and certified.

I've blown waaaayyyy too much time on this thread today, hopefully someone will pick up a few nuggets to make it worth my time.
I had to stop reading when he said calories in/out is BS and that trying it yourself is better than peer review. I just couldn’t anymore. I guess this kinda of scientific ignorance is how we have flat earthers and the like.

Don’t worry, the rest of us are learning here. Thanks for taking the time.

Reactions: 307

ianpadron

WKR
I had to stop reading when he said calories in/out is BS and that trying it yourself is better than peer review. I just couldn’t anymore. I guess this kinda of scientific ignorance is how we have flat earthers and the like.

Don’t worry, the rest of us are learning here. Thanks for taking the time.
Thank you brother, I appreciate that!

Reactions: 307

*zap*

WKR
calories in-out is not the #1 thing that determines body fat loss. you need to understand the difference between body fat loss and weight loss first before you can grasp what I am explaining.

I was never speaking about weight loss this entire thread, I was speaking about body fat loss. There is a huge difference between the two things especially as you get to a lower body fat %.

Every time I referenced liss I specifically said body fat loss.

never said weight loss one time.......work on reading comprehension.

*zap*

WKR
You cut below maintenance calories when your at a somewhat low body fat % and your body eats muscle mass to make glucose. That's what your only calories in-out will get you.....reduced muscle mass and reduced muscular endurance because of that. You will loose weight but not all of it will be body fat weight, quite a bit of muscle mass weight will be gone also. So, have at it..you can have mine also because I will focus on just loosing fat and gaining lean muscle mass which requires quite a bit more than calories in-out.

Last edited:

WKR
There are many roads to Rome. If you find something you like doing, and are consistent with it, you'll be way ahead of most.

Keep in mind injury potential. Injuries have a way of trumping all other aspects of training and fitness so, IMO, it needs to be a major factor in exercise selection.

long duration, fasted, low intensity cardio done very often.

Fasted cardio is one of the stupidest fads to come into the fitness community in the past decade.

As an Exercise Science guy, I used to beat my head against the wall watching people try this shit.

First study to ever look into it:

And every single legit study conducted since concludes the same thing...no significant difference. Zero.

Yes to both. The biggest difference I've seen fasted long running (10mi in mountains with 3k vert, so about 1:45 to 2:00 hr) and then the occasional 25-30 mile fasted and done with minimal calories during (200cal), is that it helps you to embrace the suck. It helps your mental fortitude to keep going passed the bonk, and might possibly help your body get used to using fat as fuel.

The last part is very debatable and subjective based on my experience.

I also like to do a non fasted high intensity run 1-2 times a week, still 10 miles, where I go up the steeps as hard as possible, take it easy on the downhill, and do intervals or fartleks on the flats.

Of course, if it's for hunting longish distances with a heavy pack, you'll want to mix in some heavy pack hikes once or twice a week and do some core strength exercises, but not excessively.

That will make you well rounded.

As far as far burning goes, the two things I've read studies on and experienced, is that long long runs burn fat 30mi, maybe less depending on your glycogen reserves, and high intensity intervals. Long tempo runs don't do as much for you there. But they will help endurance.

I tried looking. Didn’t see anything on it.

what is better to lose weight/build endurance?

thanks for insight
I tried incline with a 45 lb. pack and that's what led to my years-long bout with plantar fasciitis.

Running on level ground does not build endurance for mountain hunts as well as incline work in my experience.

I have found no better workout than running up and down bleachers at our local HS football stadium. It most closely resembles what I do in the mountains during a hunt. More than anything else I've tried. And running up and down bleachers is good for my PF and my knees because my heels never hit the ground. This is also why it's better than an incline treadmill with a pack. At least for my needs.

Running bleachers helps me build leg strength and endurance at the same time. It mimics the up/down/up of real hunting situations because you sprint up the bleachers and then catch your breath on the way down, then turn around and do it again. I toss in 10x pushups at the end of every 4 sets of bleachers.

The only time I injured myself running bleachers was when I got stupid and tried it with a 60 lb. pack. I had worked up to running them with a 30 lb. pack for the previous month, and one day I decided to jump straight to 60 lbs. like an idiot. I strained a knee on that workout and it took a month to heal. I won't do that again. 75% of my bleachers are run with no weight and the last 25% before season are with a 30 lb. pack about 1/2 the time.

Good luck.