Inconsistent cbto

Ucsdryder

WKR
I was having some issues with 143 eldx and lapua 6.5cm brass. I finally measured the ogive to base of the bullets. 10% of the bullets were off by .010”. When trying to get a cbto within .001” it makes it really challenging! Has anybody else had this issue? Has anybody reached out to Hornady? Curious if this is something out of the norm, or par for the course with eld bullets.

Never had an issue like that with 140 eldms or the 208&212’s. Is all the brass sized and prepped the same? I had some variance I wasn’t crazy about and upgraded to the VLD seating stem and it helped.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’m measuring just the bullets. Base of the bullet to the ogive using the Hornady comparator tool. 10% of the bullets have almost exactly .010” variance in length at the ogive.

deadwolf

WKR
I’m measuring just the bullets. Base of the bullet to the ogive using the Hornady comparator tool. 10% of the bullets have almost exactly .010” variance in length at the ogive.

What make and model of caliper are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve heard they are not as consistent as Berger but I have never just measured the bullet not in the brass. What is the weight difference between the 10% and the others?

N2TRKYS

WKR
Berger bullets aren’t overly consistent, either. Doesn’t seem to effect accuracy, though.

If your groups are good, don’t worry about it.

Lately I've been measuring each box to determine the range base of bullet to ogive, they all vary and I can honestly say out of 300 or so Hornady 130 ELD-M they have been much more consistent within each box than ANY Berger. No a knock on Berger, I've messaged them about the range and the response was that you need a laser to measure, not sure I buy that because if a metal ring can't measure how can your rifling tell the difference? Anyway Bergers have had a wider range than Horady's and Sierra has been most consistent.

My ranges are typically 0.002 with Sierra, little more with Hornady and Bergers have been 0.006 or 7. I'm sure some of that is my Caliper resolution and repeatability (Mitutoyo) and my ability to consistently apply the same amount of pressure.

0.01 seems like a lot, but I will say the reason I measure, is box to box can be huge, so I measure and adjust base of brass to ogive accordingly to the box average matching my previous loads. This has maintained accuracy where previously if I left the seating setting they would not.

If there is any chance those are different lot bullets that is likely the culprit.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
90% of them are .784 and the rest are right around .774. Base to ogive.

4ester

WKR
I’ve seen that multiple times with those 143 eld-x. Drives me nuts. Hornady has some QC problems, but they seem to shoot ok.

And Berger’s consistency is well above Hornady. Almost always within .001 on my CBTO.

I spoke to a representative at Hornady about two years ago and he told me that their BTO tolerance was +/- .017". That's a variance of .034" that still gets a passing grade and is sold to customers as a premium bullet.

4ester

WKR
I spoke to a representative at Hornady about two years ago and he told me that their BTO tolerance was +/- .017". That's a variance of .034" that still gets a passing grade and is sold to customers as a premium bullet.

That doesn’t surprise me. Better stay well off the lands then or a chance for some serious pressure. Nosler is no better.

Vandy321

WKR
Unless you are crunching powder, it shouldn't matter if the base is .010 longer. If you are crunching powder, I've had to seat some hornadys twice to get them to the same CBTO.

I was not impressed with hornadys quality control. My last box of 225s from them about 50% of the bullets had nice dents in the ogive.

I'm confident they save their good stuff for their match ammo and the scraps get boxed up and sold to reloaders.

4ester

WKR
The last boxes I checked, Nosler was WAY more consistent than the Bergers were.

Not even close. Probably 5k Berger bullets loaded and shot by me. Rarely have to adjust dies between lots, almost always within .001. And that’s measuring each round. I think you got a box of someone’s odds and ends.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Not even close. Probably 5k Berger bullets loaded and shot by me. Rarely have to adjust dies between lots, almost always within .001. And that’s measuring each round. I think you got a box of someone’s odds and ends.

Nope. It’s been a couple brand new boxes of Bergers.