Inconsistent seating depths

OP
T

T28w

WKR
Ok guys. Need some input now.

Went to range. Using Barnes recipe of min load of 62.4 and max over 69 of h4350. Barnes 168 ttsx. Cci mag primer 250, Norma brass never fired. Loaded up a ladder test.
New never fired tikka t3x 300 wsm.
Loaded a couple at 64 gr for sighters.

Had a very heavy bolt lift and what appears to be extractor mark. Shoot another and pretty much same result. So i stopped and dropped back to to lowest charge I loaded which was 63 even. Pretty much the same bolt lift, maybe slightly better. Went ahead and shot the 63.7 loads and then a 64 or two to end. If almost felt like it was getting a better bolt lift but still signs of a extractor swipe.

Chrono is measuring 2950 with 63 gr. And 3000 and just above with 63.7 and 64.0 gr.
Barnes recipe is 2847 with 62.4
And 3126 with 69.4.

I know my seating depth is slightly inconsistent but I’m very sure of my measurements to lands. Verified it 3 diff days and always getting within a couple thousands each time with a modified case (Norma from copper creek) and hornady lnl gauge.

Thoughts?
25165AB1-29F9-4449-8092-1FE50FA8441B.jpegDB4AE229-EDBB-4F0F-B550-243A313556AA.jpeg

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Those look fine to me. I wouldn’t worry too much about the slight variation in seating depth. My brothers tikka in 300 wsm gets a stiff bolt lift as well. Pick your speed and work up and down.01 gr @ 200 until it’s inside a 1” square, re chrono, shoot paper @ furthest hunting distance = done ! Works for me

OP
T

T28w

WKR
I did have a prob seating, ended up using a primer pocket uniformed to get them to not be proud. Just looking at this brass it seems softer than Lapua and hornady, could be completely wrong though

Brand new gun? Virgin brass? Personally I’d get some rounds down that barrel and some fire formed brass before any load work up. Now that you have some formed brass I’d measure from base to shoulder, figure out how much you want to bump the shoulder And go from there. I shoot a lot of Barnes bullets and typically get a +/- .0003 on my desired cbto. If your brass is constant with each other and your still getting different measurements then you could start sorting bullets if it’s still bothering you.

7wssm

FNG
Sort the bullets. Barnes have been some of the most inconsistent when it comes to ogive measurement per box/lot. I’ve sorted and have variations over .010 with them.

So did you FL size all your new brass before loading? What sizing die are you using?
I would bet the plastic tip of the TTSX is bottoming out on the seating stem before the stem is touching the bullet Ogive. This will give inconsistent results. You can drill out the stem so the bullet fits better also.
Good idea, I noticed a similar thing and didn’t think of the ttsx tip causing the issue

OP
T

T28w

WKR
Good idea, I noticed a similar thing and didn’t think of the ttsx tip causing the issue
Someone recommended either in this thread or the other one I had going, or via pm, to seat the bullet and then spin the case 180 degrees and then run it back up into the die. This really improved consistency for me.

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I was loading some rounds yesterday and noticed that my COAL with Hammer bullets was varied by .005 and i finally figured out that my primer was proud of the base of the case. For the rounds that had the primer flush or slightly below, they were all identical length. This could be what is causing some of your variation as well. But if you're shooting good, who cares?!