Inconsistent tear with hand held release

I have been using a carter evolution back tension release for a few years, I seem to struggle with perfect tears through paper, it’s either perfect or slight tail left. However when I shoot the same set up with my index finger release I can shoot bullet hole every time. I am pretty positive I have the d loop twisted the correct direction. Could this be a slight variance in the angle of my release hand? Any other suggestions? Here are some pics of form and release hand.4F1E5CA9-89C4-4ED1-A5D4-FA15BE36DFCD.png

Attachments

• B45A0AE7-6030-4B3A-9737-F8A18315E591.png
    B45A0AE7-6030-4B3A-9737-F8A18315E591.png
    671.4 KB · Views: 32
A wrist rocket to handheld is going to change things, generally the handheld brings your shooting hand forward a little more, it depends on how you have it setup. I'm assuming your anchor changes between the two. Kinda asking a lot to bounce between the two in my opinion. The rotation of your hand in the picture is going to be rotating your loop more than I imagine an index finger release will be, this can cause a few different things to happen. One of those things is increasing face pressure.

Another thing is if your draw length is perfect with the index (wrist strap) it's likely you are a little compressed with the handheld. If this is the case it might be causing you to pitch the bow a little much on the release. A lot of times it will cause you to bend your elbow a little more and in your release instead of the bow moving forward it actually goes to the left and forward, with a right handed shooter. From the picture you don't look too compressed in my opinion tho.

I don't ever expect different releases to tune the same. Just a lot of little differences.

Reactions: Zac
OP
S
A wrist rocket to handheld is going to change things, generally the handheld brings your shooting hand forward a little more, it depends on how you have it setup. I'm assuming your anchor changes between the two. Kinda asking a lot to bounce between the two in my opinion. The rotation of your hand in the picture is going to be rotating your loop more than I imagine an index finger release will be, this can cause a few different things to happen. One of those things is increasing face pressure.

Another thing is if your draw length is perfect with the index (wrist strap) it's likely you are a little compressed with the handheld. If this is the case it might be causing you to pitch the bow a little much on the release. A lot of times it will cause you to bend your elbow a little more and in your release instead of the bow moving forward it actually goes to the left and forward, with a right handed shooter. From the picture you don't look too compressed in my opinion tho.

I don't ever expect different releases to tune the same. Just a lot of little differences.
This bow was set up for this release so I have always shot it with this setup.

This bow was set up for this release so I have always shot it with this setup.

So you have always had inconsistent tears with it?

I think some, or all of those true tension releases can vary a bit when they actually break. That might be causing you some issues. Be nice if you could get a spring scale with a slide on it to try the release on. Be able to confirm that it's breaking at a consistent poundage every time.

OP
S
So you have always had inconsistent tears with it?

I think some, or all of those true tension releases can vary a bit when they actually break. That might be causing you some issues. Be nice if you could get a spring scale with a slide on it to try the release on. Be able to confirm that it's breaking at a consistent poundage every time.
Hmm hard to say always but for the past year I have been struggling with any bare shaft or paper tuning with it. Shoot good groups with broadheads and field points but through paper it’s about 50/5 between bullet hole and tail left

Hmm hard to say always but for the past year I have been struggling with any bare shaft or paper tuning with it. Shoot good groups with broadheads and field points but through paper it’s about 50/5 between bullet hole and tail left

I'd be interested if you could confirm if it breaks consistent.

Don't know what else to say except it's usually us not the tool. As long as the device has consistent input, it will have consistent output.

OP
S
Putting it on my shot trainer and pulling through the shot slowly is breaks almost identically on 3 secs every time, not as accurate as a scale but I feel that I can tell it’s consistent

Rob5589

WKR
Probably a slight form issue or the way the string comes off the release. I wouldn't be concerned if it is shooting well otherwise.

Have somebody video from behind while you shoot. Make sure your release hand is going straight back. Or if it flies off to the side a little bit. That causes me all kinds of issues with arrow flight.

Zac

WKR
I've had the exact same issue. I think the Carter is not nearly as consistent as the Stan. However I could always get great tears with a Like Mike vs my hinge, or tension releases. I finally ended up just sticking with one release and tuning for it. Although tuning has always been easier with an index style. Gillingham talks about this pretty extensively due to him being such a big believer in paper tuning.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The rotation of your hand in the picture is going to be rotating your loop more than I imagine an index finger release will be, this can cause a few different things to happen. One of those things is increasing face pressure.
This ^^^^. It looks like your release and release hand are pulling at a 30 degree'ish angle away from your nock point towards your ear.

I have had a lot of people come in with inconsistent tears. a lot of time face pressure is the culprit.
Take the string off your face and shoot it through paper. If you get a consistent tear, then you know you are anchoring a tiny bit different or applying a little face pressure. Just a suggestion, can’t hurt to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TripleJ

WKR
My bet would be on face pressure. I shoot a hinge 99% of the time, and when I get fliers/inconsistent broadhead flight, it always comes back to face pressure. Something about the shot sequence with a hand held release (at least in my case) that leads to face pressure if you aren't paying attention to it.

szostak23

FNG
I would agree with the face pressure, that seems to be a common issue. It’s an issue I just dealt with. I mostly hunt with a recurve but recently picked up a compound for an out west trip, and my inconsistent tears were from string pressure. I was use to having something touch my nose with the recurve and tried to recreated it with the compound.

OR Archer

WKR
There’s a number of things it could be. In addition to what’s been mentioned I’ll add that it looks like a really short loop. This can cause inconsistencies as well with a handheld especially if you’re rotating your hand as you’re doing.

I would agree with the face pressure, that seems to be a common issue. It’s an issue I just dealt with. I mostly hunt with a recurve but recently picked up a compound for an out west trip, and my inconsistent tears were from string pressure. I was use to having something touch my nose with the recurve and tried to recreated it with the compound.
I had the same issue when shoulder issues forced me back into compounds.

OP
S
Have somebody video from behind while you shoot. Make sure your release hand is going straight back. Or if it flies off to the side a little bit. That causes me all kinds of issues with arrow flight.
There’s a number of things it could be. In addition to what’s been mentioned I’ll add that it looks like a really short loop. This can cause inconsistencies as well with a handheld especially if you’re rotating your hand as you’re doing.
D loop is 3/4”. I don’t really have any face pressure on the string, just some on the nose button. I will try some minor tweaks and see what it does.