Increase in Political Arguing & Banter?

Should Mods Create a Political Sub-Forum?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

fatbacks

WKR
I may be the minority here, but in the past 6 months it seems like there has been a sharp increase in people internet arguing over left vs right, maskers vs anti maskers, vaccine vs anti vacc, etc. I know there has been posts in the past by mods about helping people leave when all they do is post about political stuff, yet this political b.s. is becoming harder to escape on here. i.e. people are arguing about fetuses and stem cells in vaccines on the sheep hunting forum right now.

Rokslide used to be my oasis for a bunch of dudes talking about hunting and a place I could escape all the political arguing on the internet. I left Facebook two years ago because of the same reason.

I am not sure about how or where to draw the line on threads, so I would propose that a sub-forum for politics and highly controversial topics is created. That way those who are determined to change the mind of a Russian Bot can have at it. It would be a place for mods to move threads that are becoming an internet slug fest, etc., etc. And people who frankly don't give a hoot can enjoy the awesome content of this forum free of politics.

Just an idea. Again, I may be in the minority on this and if so, disregard. Hopefully this thread doesn't turn into an argument over arguing on politics hahah!

I frequent a Discord server focused on ammo and reloading and they have a strict no politics policy. Even casually mentioning a political figure or issue results in a temporary ban. Repeat offenses are a total ban. I think it works really well to keep the conversation from dissolving into a shit-show, as is common on Rokslide. Political arguments on the internet are a waste of everyone's time.

And mentioning BHA should be an automatic ban...

Last edited:
It would be very easy to implement on this forum.

1. Put the No Politics rule in bold at the top of the rules.
2. Encourage everyone on the forum to warn and call out posts instigating political discussion.
3. Repeat offenses after a warning result in a username ban from the mods.

Sounds like the community here would gladly enforce.

Ten Bears

WKR
I would like a 3rd option. Keep it the way it is.

Things are way too unstable and relate to hunting to not be able to discuss it. We just don’t need a separate section for it but we also don’t need to bury our heads in the sand.

The mods do a really good job with this already.

Last edited:

woods89

WKR
Count me in. I don't think anyone is lacking for places to have political discussions in this day and age and this place in the past has been sort of an oasis from that. Seems like those discussions are on the rise. l've contributed to a few of them and regretted it every time.

ODB

WKR
No. Leave it as is. You might as well call it the Pissing Match forum instead of the Political Forum. I used to be active on another site with a political forum and it simply degenerated into worthless info, name-calling, and a waste of time. Very few minds are changed and given the ability to find info to confirm any bias, there is simply nothing to gain.

woods89

WKR
No. Leave it as is. You might as well call it the Pissing Match forum instead of the Political Forum. I used to be active on another site with a political forum and it simply degenerated into worthless info, name-calling, and a waste of time. Very few minds are changed and given the ability to find info to confirm any bias, there is simply nothing to gain.
Fair enough, and a valid point. But it does keep the rest of the forum tidier for those of us who get really tired of it.

I know when I go on the 24 hr Campfire that the Hunter's Campfire section is going to be a trainwreck. I'd hate to see the General Discussion section here go that way.

Or maybe I just need to be better at scrolling on by......

brianrossman1

Lil-Rokslider
My view, I come here to talk with like minded folks about the outdoors. I do not give a flying pig about your opinions on politics or a vaccine.

You’re not going to change my mind or beliefs so let’s focus on the outdoors. If you cannot keep to that, go rant on Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
Fair enough, and a valid point. But it does keep the rest of the forum tidier for those of us who get really tired of it.

I know when I go on the 24 hr Campfire that the Hunter's Campfire section is going to be a trainwreck. I'd hate to see the General Discussion section here go that way.

24 Hr Campfire should be renamed to 24 HR DumpsterFire. It is unbelievable over there.

while I think a few times threads here have been closed too early, I’ll take that any day over 24. Really pathetic.

woods89

WKR
24 Hr Campfire should be renamed to 24 HR DumpsterFire. It is unbelievable over there.

while I think a few times threads here have been closed too early, I’ll take that any day over 24. Really pathetic.
Yes, and I'm not suggesting this place is comparable. The mods here generally do quite well. It does seem like the tension levels have been rising the last while, though.

Fatcamp

WKR

Been working for me.

Now to stop clicking on Creedmoor threads. 🤔

OP
fatbacks

fatbacks

WKR
No. It would spill over into other forums.
Spilling as we speak.
IMG_DA8FDAA33C24-1.jpeg
I think that's the point OP was raising, it's already all over the place and needs to be addressed. Here's my front page of the general discussion - it's 50% politics:

View attachment 279566
Exactly my point. Maybe the General Discussion Forum is the place for this and I need to not visit it. However, I used to come here to see what side by side I should buy or what podcasts people listen to. I now cringe when it opens up and within the first 10 threads, 7-8 have heavy political undertones.

I've never been on 24 hour campfire but from everything I have heard, I wouldn't want Rokslide to go that direction. Who knows, maybe that's the past most forums go as they gain popularity.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I really love Rokslide as a resource and would hate to see it get dilluted down to the level of most other hunting forums.

There's a lot of places on the internet where any minor disagreement or perceived slight will degenerate an otherwise promising thread into an extended and embarrassing name-calling exchange between grown adults.

A dedicated political forum would encourage that type of discourse and it would quickly metastasize to the rest of the site.

Agree with the OP. Up until a few months ago, this was pretty much the only place online I could go that was JUST outdoors stuff. It was nice.

I’ve seen other forums for the outdoors or similar communities turn into nothing but sociopolitical arguing, and the reason the forum exists becomes secondary. Don’t want that to happen here too.