Increasing anaerobic threshold

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some tips to increase my anaerobic threshold.

Currently, I do pretty good when it comes to fitness on the mountain and my solo deer/elk pursuits. I feel my current varied workout routines which alternate between cardio, HIIT, and kettlebells have served me well. From what I have been seeing, my RHR has been decreasing over time and HRV has been increasing as well (only wavering during illness or recovery from broken bones).

However, I have rekindled an old hobby that has serious consequences if you stay in the anaerobic zone for even short durations. Lactic acid building up in your extremities is a prescription for medical bills on a motocross track at speed.

My question: What exercise techniques and metrics can I use to increase that threshold and show it’s improving? I know what my heart rate zones are for aerobic and anaerobic are but tailoring workouts for an overall improvement is a gap I’m not sure how to close and support with data.

zacattack

WKR
I think one of the more accepted methods is to train right at your threshold for increasing periods of time. This should steadily increase your threshold before your body goes from aerobic to anaerobic.

GotDraw?

WKR
Can you lose any additional lbs?
Or are you already at "racing weight"

10lbs is a serious help

JL

Hoodie

WKR
If your AeT is around 140 bpm and your AnT is 170 (or any similar difference, specific bpm doesn't matter), I would think it would be better to work on getting your AeT closer to AnT. Having your AeT be 90% or more of your AnT is a pretty good starting point for doing high intensity work. If they aren't that close the thinking is that it's better to do more aerobic work.

If your AeT and AnT are already pretty close to one another, all you can really do is the intervals or tempo work you're probably already doing.

I think aerobic threshold is supposed to be a lot less genetically determined and more trainable than anaerobic threshold. I just did a seven week training block and my aerobic threshold increased by 14 bpm. I'm gonna start throwing in some high intensity work now but I'm only expecting to improve my anaerobic threshold by a couple beats.

How does you AnT compare to your max heart rate? Once you get it above 90% or so improvements are gonna be small and infrequent.

If you want to hit something in the gym you could do what strongmen refer to as "density" work.

You referenced kettlebells so lets use a KBS. Do 10 sec of KBS EMOM for a set number of minutes. Next time to 20 sec EMOM. Then 30 sec EMOM. If you find a threshold you like for work/rest up the weight as your modality of progression.

Play with the different variables to increase the "density" of your ability to express work. Like I have a 1 minute max rep deadlift event this summer. Later in the spring I'll start using a weight around contest weight and trying and hitting mini AMRAPs in the format to increase my endurance in the 1min threshold by exposure to repeated submaximal bouts.

OP
Y

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to see if I can pull data and see how those thresholds have changed in the past. Also, I definitely don't have weight to lose like asked above. If anything, I'd prefer to put some on appropriately.