Increasing Length Of Pull on a Rifle

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Rokslide,

I'm a lanky guy looking to add about 1.25 inches to the synthetic stock on my Tikka T3 superlite.

I already have a Limbsaver recoil pad mounted. Does anyone have any experience making some sort of spacer for between their stock and recoil pad?

It would be nice if it was lightweight, given that it is a mountain rifle. All of the one inch spacers I've seen on the market are solid bricks of rubber. Beretta sells Tikka specific spacers, but they are $15 each and only 3mm thick, which means I would need about 11 of them.

I'd love to find some sort of goldilocks spacer blank or brick of polymer that's some combination of affordable, lightweight, strong, and easy to work with. Orberwise I'm considering just cutting and sanding some wood with interlocking grain, or trying to find some dense sandal-type foam and hiding my shameful work under a layer of vetwrap.

Thanks!

88man

FNG
I don't think it is as important on a rifle as a shotgun. I have my one custom rifle with a 14 3/8 LOP and I do frequently have friends use it with me on hunts and its to long for them. I might make it shorter,
You can add a carbon or wood or fiberglass spacer depending on the stock. OR just get a gunsmith to do it for you

muddydogs

WKR
Never found the need to length a rifle stock if its at the standard 13.5" length of pull as it just doesn't matter that much with a rifle. Now my trap gun is at 14.5" length of pull but it matters here. You can purchase polymer spacers from about any company, I would suggest getting the thickest butt pad you can first then adding spacers to make up the difference if you really feel you need to lengthen a rifle.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par.../buttstock-spacers/rifle-spacer-prod9650.aspx

I have in the past when I wanted a spacer right now fitted a piece of oak the thickness I wanted to the butt then drilled holes in the oak spacer to reduce weight before installing with the butt pad, might be an idea to try before you spend the money on spacers and fitting only to find out that the length of pull is way to long for hunting situations where clothes and pack straps take up some room.

You will need to cut and fit the spacers to your stock and butt pad, adding 1 1/2 inches of spacer and using the same butt pad that came off the rifle is probably going to look funny and take some extra work since you will be trying to fit the spacer to the pad as well as stock, best bet would be to fit a new pad and spacers all at the same time.

I need to do the same, got a rifle a guy cut off to 12" lop. He's a small guy. He did the same to his new Browning hells canyon long range. I was thinking one of those adjustable lop butt pieces that slide in and out to desired length.

Nitrous24

FNG
I have made a couple out of presses wood. Here are a couple pics of that I have done.
25fad4639fd039c12f77effbed4302b9.jpg
a56a190a7464f75d7102cce13289213d.jpg
2591ee920347496e0f75a9aa6331686d.jpg
744b9afd0b196e567649b2cafbcb2b1a.jpg
79d72ec6b9e263fc99d626580d0e160f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

WKR
I'm 6'7" and typically like right at a 14" LOP on my rigs. Sometimes a bit less. I just order stocks that length from McMillan. Thinking I am getting lazier in my old age.

I ordered an adjustable place from Graco and sanded it to the contour of my stock. Check these out:

Can you show how this mounted to your rifle?

(I have range of motion issues in my elbow and can’t bend it closer than 85 degrees. A longer LOP, like 15 or more, is necessary for me to shoulder any rifle.

Does the existing recoil pad assembly simply mount to one side, and the rifle stock mounts to the other?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Stock Positioning System is another company that sells butt pad extension. Works great on an HS precision stock I had.

Can you show how this mounted to your rifle?

(I have range of motion issues in my elbow and can’t bend it closer than 85 degrees. A longer LOP, like 15 or more, is necessary for me to shoulder any rifle.

Does the existing recoil pad assembly simply mount to one side, and the rifle stock mounts to the other?

The plate mounts in between the stock and your recoil pad. You (or Graco) ha e to sand it to the contour of your stock. A google image search would probably turn something up. I don't have easy access to mine at the moment, but would be happy to show you at some point.

Erict

WKR
If not already done, I would consider the impact of increasing length of your stock on your scope eye relief. If the scope needs to be moved you need clearance in the rings. Depending on the shape of your stock it may drop your eye lower and require a higher cheek weld or lower rings to line up. Hopefully you have done a "test" run with a chunk of wood. Good luck.

cutback

FNG
If not already done, I would consider the impact of increasing length of your stock on your scope eye relief. If the scope needs to be moved you need clearance in the rings. Depending on the shape of your stock it may drop your eye lower and require a higher cheek weld or lower rings to line up. Hopefully you have done a "test" run with a chunk of wood. Good luck.
Good advice!