Indiana boys elk hunting

First post about our first elk hunt.
First I will give our back ground. Myself and two buddies all former marines all in our early 30’s one is a cop, one works construction and one operates heavy equipment. I am a life long deer archery hunter in the hills of southern Indiana. One is a avid hiker and camper who has some hunting experience. One is a gun nut who has killed his Share of whitetail at long range.
We are planning a trip to Idaho to hunt elk in 2021 (over the counter tags) .

We are looking for advise and guidance.
We would all prefer to kill a bull elk with a bow however we know our chances of tagging out will be higher if we take a rifles. All of can shoot and we have all took a whitetail at over 400 yards with a rifle. Our goal is to each take a elk but we will be happy with seeing some! So the big question is follow our hearts and bow hunt or take a rifle and up are chances.

Our plan is to bivy hunt 3 days two nights (traveling in a triangle) then base camp for about 24 hours then bivy hunt another 3 days two nights then base camp and hunt 1 more day. This may be a little ambitious but we have a expert hiker and camper with us and the other two have been on a hump or two in our day. Are plan is to carry one pack with all necessary gear and two basically empty packs rotating out the heavy pack. Our hopes is that the empty packs get filled! We will obviously pack out are game ASAP and the plan will change if we get lucky. Any input would be great.
Our shot plan is to draw straws and each gets a day with rights to the first shot. We aren’t greedy and will have no problem allowing each other to have opportunities as they arise.

Lastly wolf tags? We would be upset if we are presented with a opportunity to take a wolf however I am concerned that if we happen to kill a wolf it will hinder our time elk hunting.

like I said any input advise or critique is appreciated. We have two years to plan so I will be on here often I am sure. We have all hunted together in Indiana and Ohio and are looking to up the challenge and create a new tradition.. and we will be driving out with a plethora of equipment to bring meat home thanks in advance!

cgasner1

WKR
The empty pack thing doesn’t seem to me like
It would work even bare minimum your all gonna have way to much gear for one bag When we hunt like that we split up weight of the universal gear if you will filter stove tent and what not but I just don’t see that happening should probably consider a couple different over night trips and work your gear out first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Werty

WKR
Welcome, and I mean this in the nicest possible way. Use the search function on this forum. You will learn a ton. I have learned a lot from the search function. Good luck

Beingnas Im also from the hills of southern Indiana also feel your ambition! I now live in Idaho and have hunted a fair bit. I feel like you will act3have a better opportunity archery hunting. The bull in areas that have OTC tags for rifle are pretty slim or in some crazy rough country. Unless you hike mountains alot its hard to prepare for carrying that kind of weight in that steep of country for that many days. I agree with Cgasner1 I would split the weight evenly between bags. Regardless with three of you its going to probably take 2 trips to pack out a bull.
I wish you the best of luck. Your going to have a great time regardless. Pm me if you have any other questions i might be abke to help with.

jmez

WKR
From your plan, sounds like you will be hunting together? I'd recommend splitting up and hunting alone. Cover 3x as much ground that way. At least until you find elk.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

SoDaky

WKR
Wish I could help but haven't hunted Idaho elk for about 15 yrs.Come on,gotta be some Idaho marines to step up and help out here.
Also Youtube can be your friend.Plenty of garbage and bluster but also tons of good elk hunting stuff from Idaho that will help.I'd immerse yourselves in it.
And,get the wolf tags.Incidental success won't delay your elk hunt much.
Semper Fi!

Terrapin

WKR
Pick a general area, drive out and truck camp. Plan on exploring 3-5 miles back each day. Don’t be afraid to get in your truck and drive 20 miles. After a couple of years of doing this, you’ll start to really figure out where the elk live and where the people invade. Then spike camping starts to make sense.

K.S.

FNG
I would say at the very least, you should split the load between you...

TravisIN

WKR
Good luck from a fellow Hoosier. Welcome to the forums. It’s a great resource