Industrial electricians on here from the PNW?

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
Currently living in the midwest looking at the possibility of moving to Oregon or Washington.

Wife and I just got back from a week long trip to Oregon and Washington and now we have the idea to look for an area that also offers more opportunities than what we have here.

Looking to be close to the Cascades, away from cities, and figured sawmills would be pretty close to what I do now. From what I can tell by doing a few job searches, electricians are in need.

If anyone from the area does the same, could you shoot me a message? I have a few questions. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JoeDirt

WKR
Lots of work in Portland, might have to move to a City and keep feelers out for rare job openings in rural cities. I'm not an electrician not sure how easy it is to get your license.

colersu22

WKR
Are you good with being union? Local 46 out of Seattle has a lot of work, local 77 out of Tacoma has work but I hear they are pretty screwed with their pensions. 191 is the north area of Wa and I believe there area runs almost to Spokane. All 3 have commercial and industrial work.

I know down in southern Wa, Longview area; there is lots of saw mills with good pay. One guy I worked with left local 46 to work non union at a mill to be closer to his family.

OP
I

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
Are you good with being union? Local 46 out of Seattle has a lot of work, local 77 out of Tacoma has work but I hear they are pretty screwed with their pensions. 191 is the north area of Wa and I believe there area runs almost to Spokane. All 3 have commercial and industrial work.

I know down in southern Wa, Longview area; there is lots of saw mills with good pay. One guy I worked with left local 46 to work non union at a mill to be closer to his family.

I'd rather stay non-union.

I'll look into the Longview area, thanks.

The differences in taxes between OR and WA are pretty interesting as well.

Licensing could require you to re-test depending on where you are moving from. Oregon and Washington are only reciprocal with a handful of states. I'm licensed in both OR and WA, both licensing processes were a PITA. Luckily it's worth it though, pay is great thanks to a lot of hard work on the part of the IBEW and USW.

TJ

WKR
Oregon licensing is only reciprocal with a few states, here is a link.

To get licensed in Oregon you'll have to go through the process to verify and test.

Oregon does have a real shortage of electricians.

OP
I

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not licensed so definitely something I'll have to look into if required. I've seen a few postings that didn't require it, but they paid a premium if you had it.

541hunter

WKR
I would avoid Oregon and Washington if possible. The state of hunting related, firearm and tax related policies is extremely unstable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk