Inexpensive .223 for Practice?

BCD

WKR
I'm looking to buy a bolt action .223 for practice as it's getting expensive to shoot my .300WSM and 3006. I'm preparing for an elk hunt in the fall of 2020. I'm looking at the Ruger American and the Savage Axis XP. Any thoughts on these 2 or others in the same price range? The Ruger is a little more money but the action on the Savage feels a bit sloppy to me.

Thanks!

I'm looking to buy a bolt action .223 for practice as it's getting expensive to shoot my .300WSM and 3006. I'm preparing for an elk hunt in the fall of 2020. I'm looking at the Ruger American and the Savage Axis XP. Any thoughts on these 2 or others in the same price range? The Ruger is a little more money but the action on the Savage feels a bit sloppy to me.

Thanks!
most inexpensive bolt guns will "feel sloppy" but that doesn't mean they won't shoot, Savage and Ruger have well proved that - for not too much more a Tikka T3X .223 is quite nice OR a .223 in the rifle model you hunt with has a lot of wisdom

I have a ruger American in 22 and it is a shooter. Other specimens I have handled and shot have done well on the range but are not finely made guns.

Both the savage and tikka ideas intrigue me. I think their is some wisdom to paying a bit more for a nicer gun to hunt with and I have become quite a fan of tikkas and I would probably be buying a 223 if I hadn’t...

...Bought a Remington SPS in 223 a while back. Wanted a 223 boot gun for ground hogs and maybe coyote/fox. Bought the Remmy. Put a Nikon scope I had on it and sighted it in. It grouped well but The trigger felt like it was full of sand. I swapped it for a timmney and while I was at it I put the thing in a magpul hunter stock and ditched the cheap rubbery hogue it came with. When I was all done, I have a real shooter, however, it has way too much money in it. Probably $850 with out glass.

If I were buying today, that savage access XP for $250 would be my choice for a “cheap” option. If I wanted something with a bit more class, I would go tikka lite for $530 and add a 3x9. I wouldn’t go down the Remington rabbit hole again.

I have a ruger American in 22 and it is a shooter. Other specimens I have handled and shot have done well on the range but are not finely made guns.

Both the savage and tikka ideas intrigue me. I think their is some wisdom to paying a bit more for a nicer gun to hunt with and I have become quite a fan of tikkas and I would probably be buying a 223 if I hadn’t...

...Bought a Remington SPS in 223 a while back. Wanted a 223 boot gun for ground hogs and maybe coyote/fox. Bought the Remmy. Put a Nikon scope I had on it and sighted it in. It grouped well but The trigger felt like it was full of sand. I swapped it for a timmney and while I was at it I put the thing in a magpul hunter stock and ditched the cheap rubbery hogue it came with. When I was all done, I have a real shooter, however, it has way too much money in it. Probably $850 with out glass.

If I were buying today, that savage access XP for $250 would be my choice for a “cheap” option. If I wanted something with a bit more class, I would go tikka lite for $530 and add a 3x9. I wouldn’t go down the Remington rabbit hole again.
"today's" Remington firearms ARE NOT the Remingtons of a bygone era

OP
B

BCD

WKR

I am not a Tikka fan so will not be going that route. Where have you seen the access XP for $250?

Thank You!

"today's" Remington firearms ARE NOT the Remingtons of a bygone era

I agree. They seem to have lost their way on the QC front. In particular, I think they got used to the idea that real shooters were going to essentially rebuild their guns from barreled action or the action up so they started cutting corners. That 223 I have is a shooter but to have had to add that much $ to get a decent/safe trigger and a stock that doesn’t feel like a sex toy is asking a lot for a gun that wasn’t all that cheap to begin with.

I have a couple of other 700s in the stable. One is a shooter and the other is a straight up turd. Meanwhile, every tikka i shoot is a laser for half the price. I would have to be hard pressed to buy another 700 based on my personal sample set.

I am not a Tikka fan so will not be going that route. Where have you seen the access XP for $250?

Thank You!

Buds. Seems like they are out of stock but I see them else where for $350

kickemall

WKR
A Ruger American Predator is hard to beat for what you want. Sportsmens Warehouse and Cabelas will throw them on sale for $400 fairly often. I changed mine to a Timney trigger but you could just adjust the poundage on the factory one to save money. All the Predators I've seen are insanely accurate for a gun at that price.

A Ruger American Predator is hard to beat for what you want. Sportsmens Warehouse and Cabelas will throw them on sale for $400 fairly often. I changed mine to a Timney trigger but you could just adjust the poundage on the factory one to save money. All the Predators I've seen are insanely accurate for a gun at that price.
there was one on GB for $300 yesterday

Trr15

WKR
A few years ago I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard .223 w/bull barrel for a great price at Sportsman's warehouse. Its s fun little rifle and pretty darn accurate too. Not sure what they retail for now, but I'm sure they can be picked up for a fair price.

I’m super happy with my Ruger American in 223 the thing is a shooter. I have cheap little Simmons scope on there that’s gonna get upgraded at some point in the near future but for the money have have into the gun it’s pretty tough to beat.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm looking at the Ruger American and the Savage Axis XP. Any thoughts on these 2 or others in the same price range? The Ruger is a little more money but the action on the Savage feels a bit sloppy to me.

Thanks!

They are both exactly what they are- cheap guns with flimsy stocks. In the case of the Savage it’s a subpar stock, with an action that is rough as a corn cob. Every person I know that has actually used either for more than plinking has ended up replacing the stock and the trigger. I would much rather have a RAR than the Axis, however neither are really worth it.

Not sure what your dislike of Tikka is, but you are dismissing the rifle that is easily the pick of any factory 223. Great action, great trigger, great barrel twisted right, good mags, good stock design that is stiff enough to be usable, and weighs 6lbs.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
They are both exactly what they are- cheap guns with flimsy stocks. In the case of the Savage it’s a subpar stock, with an action that is rough as a corn cob. Every person I know that has actually used either for more than plinking has ended up replacing the stock and the trigger. I would much rather have a RAR than the Axis, however neither are really worth it.

Not sure what your dislike of Tikka is, but you are dismissing the rifle that is easily the pick of any factory 223. Great action, great trigger, great barrel twisted right, good mags, good stock design that is stiff enough to be usable, and weighs 6lbs.

Been eyeing that Tikka for awhile. Hopefully @PNWGATOR will use his on an elk soon:)

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Been eyeing that Tikka for awhile. Hopefully @PNWGATOR will use his on an elk soon:)

Pics or it didn’t happen. 😗

Tikka’s aren’t perfect, of course nothing is. However I’ve seen/used a couple dozen 223’s and they have all been good. For a LW training rifle they get so much right.

You going 300 on this one?

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Pics or it didn’t happen. 😗

Tikka’s aren’t perfect, of course nothing is. However I’ve seen/used a couple dozen 223’s and they have all been good. For a LW training rifle they get so much right.

You going 300 on this one?

Yeah, 30 Nosler. I was going to take the 6.5 PRC but had trouble with the 147s and Its not liking the 156s yet.

It doesn't get much love, but the TC arms compass is about as cheap as it gets during rebate seasons and flat out shoots.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
B

BCD

WKR
I just don't care for Tikkas. I've looked at and held a bunch of them and tried to like them and like a gunsmith recently said to me: "They just look and feel cheap even though they are not". I know they are nice shooting rifles, they are just not for me.

I just don't care for Tikkas. I've looked at and held a bunch of them and tried to like them and like a gunsmith recently said to me: "They just look and feel cheap even though they are not". I know they are nice shooting rifles, they are just not for me.
Well, to each their own I guess (someone has to use that other "stuff") I used to be a Browning man all the way then I had two instances on two different hunts where my Browning rifle's trigger/bolt froze up on me (no oil, water, other fluids in play) in sub zero conditions and I began the "quest" to find MY "perfect" hunting rifle - Tikka earned a spot on the short list after reading that companies history - I still love model 70's (heavy though) which led me first to Kimbers, a long "love/hate" relationship followed and out of at least 15 Kimbers I now own 2 that shoot and work without complaint (both HUNTER models) but the Tikkas go first 90+% of the time because they "shoot" and they WORK flawlessly - after spending countless hours in severe conditions in Oregon, WY, B.C. & AK, CO & MT, "this gun feels cheap" has NEVER even been in my subconscious - one regret I have is not having Tikka in the mix during my varmint days, a lot more PD's would have been moving out to 1000 yds back then to escape me
but then, THAT'S just me … (OH, and a whole bunch of other HUNTERS)

OP
B

BCD

WKR
Well, to each their own I guess (someone has to use that other "stuff") I used to be a Browning man all the way then I had two instances on two different hunts where my Browning rifle's trigger/bolt froze up on me (no oil, water, other fluids in play) in sub zero conditions and I began the "quest" to find MY "perfect" hunting rifle - Tikka earned a spot on the short list after reading that companies history - I still love model 70's (heavy though) which led me first to Kimbers, a long "love/hate" relationship followed and out of at least 15 Kimbers I now own 2 that shoot and work without complaint (both HUNTER models) but the Tikkas go first 90+% of the time because they "shoot" and they WORK flawlessly - after spending countless hours in severe conditions in Oregon, WY, B.C. & AK, CO & MT, "this gun feels cheap" has NEVER even been in my subconscious - one regret I have is not having Tikka in the mix during my varmint days, a lot more PD's would have been moving out to 1000 yds back then to escape me
but then, THAT'S just me … (OH, and a whole bunch of other HUNTERS)

I'm not criticizing anyone for choosing a Tikka. Someone said they weren't sure what my issue with Tikka was and I was just being honest in responding to that. I know they are shooters but I will never own one. They just don't jump out at me. Just a personal thing.

Last edited: