Inexpensive Dyneema stuff sacks

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking to save some weight and update my many stuff sacks w Dyneema /Ceuben fiber ones.
Holy smokes they’re speedy!
Anyone know of a cheaper source?

Yeah, unfortunately ya gotta pay to play. If it’s just stuff sacks your looking for, check out EBay or Jimmy Tarps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
I use ziplock bags instead. Careful with dyneema it will save you weight but makes a good amount of noise in your pack and when you are rummaging through the stuff sack.

OP
F

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Ya. Pay to play is right!
I like ziplocks too...for small stuff.
But hard to shove a quilt in one. Ha
Looking for a slightly bigger sack for quilt and clothes.
Thank you guys

Trial153

WKR
How much lighter can they be then say the Kifaru ultra lights stuff sacks? I have a bunch of them and cant see myself using them out anytime soon.

Lawnboi

WKR
I wonder what kind of weight someone could save if they went to dyneema stuff sacks all around. I know a few of mine are fairly heavy. Thinking of specifically getting a dyneema food bag

OP
F

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Ya that’s kinda what I wanna do. I think I could save about 12 oz.
But dang gonna cost me a couple hundy.

I like to keep things organized in my pack and I do that with dry bags, for the things that absolutely have to stay 100% dry like quilt, clothing, etc., and stuff sacks, for things that aren’t so critical like shelter, etc. A few years ago I slowly made the switch over from conventional UL dry bags to DCF. Now all my dry bags and stuff sacks are DCF. Here is the short list of my favorite DCF dry bags I use with my back pack hunts and their wts. according to my scale. All wts. are in ounces.

MLD med. 6L dry bag 0.55
MLD lg. 12L dry bag 1.3
MLD XL 25L dry bag 1.95
HMG med. 9.5L dry bag 1.15
HMG lg. 19.5L dry bag 1.5

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Put in an order for 4 of the dry bags, and a couple ditty bags. I plan on replacing all my other dry bags for the spring and summer and into the fall if I like them. Should shave off some weight but the thing I want the most is they should become saturated with water.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I like to keep things organized in my pack and I do that with dry bags, for the things that absolutely have to stay 100% dry like quilt, clothing, etc., and stuff sacks, for things that aren’t so critical like shelter, etc. A few years ago I slowly made the switch over from conventional UL dry bags to DCF. Now all my dry bags and stuff sacks are DCF. Here is the short list of my favorite DCF dry bags I use with my back pack hunts and their wts. according to my scale. All wts. are in ounces.

MLD med. 6L dry bag 0.55
MLD lg. 12L dry bag 1.3
MLD XL 25L dry bag 1.95
HMG med. 9.5L dry bag 1.15
HMG lg. 19.5L dry bag 1.5

What brand have you gone with or are you custom sewing them?

What brand have you gone with or are you custom sewing them?

Just the ones listed above along with a couple zpacks. I’ve never tried making anything out of DCF as I’m not much of a seamstress. Here’s some miscellaneous roll top dry bags, zipper bags, and a couple stuff sacks. I used a 1/2 gallon growler for size comparison. All of these come to a total wt. of about 10-12 oz. The heaviest ones there are the Mountain Laurel Designs XL roll tops that come in at 1.9 oz. each, and will easily hold 4 growlers plus.
4abc9efbe4f642ea96528bb5b808fd7d.jpg

Thanks for all the info in this thread. For the last couple years I have wanted to upgrade my stuff sacks and haven't got around to it. Its a good reminder

tdot

WKR
I made a bunch of DCF stuff sacs from material that I bought at RipStop By The Roll. About $100 in material and supplies, 2 evening's of my time. They only use double sided tape, no sewing and are all built with draw string closures. I have saved roughly 400 grams in stuff sacs, dry bags and game bags from my pack.

Rob5589

WKR
I made a bunch of DCF stuff sacs from material that I bought at RipStop By The Roll. About $100 in material and supplies, 2 evening's of my time. They only use double sided tape, no sewing and are all built with draw string closures. I have saved roughly 400 grams in stuff sacs, dry bags and game bags from my pack.

Have any pics or a thread on it?

Thanks

tdot

WKR
I dont have my gear at home, so can't take any photos. But I used the directions on YouTube from Yama Mountain Gear, there are a few other options out there too. DCF material was the 1.0ounce, Tape was 3m 9485PC, I bought both the 1/2" and 1", probably only need 1/2". I found single rolls on Mcmaster Carr. I used the 1" to make my own DCF tape, for repairs and strengthening seams. For the drawstrings, I used some dyneema line that I had from my kitesurfing gear, so not too sure where you could source that.

I started small and worked my way up. The largest bag I have is 40L and 42grams.