Inexpensive frame pack options?

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Being an east-cost whitetail hunter looking to go on his first Western hunt - probably for antelope - I'm not equipped with some of the gear required to home to the west.

I also can't afford to go all out with new, high-end gear. Hence, I was considering looking for a used frame backpack that would serve the purpose of carrying gear and packing out meat.

Has anyone done this and what should I look for? Some packs are probably broken up into smaller sections and I'm guessing you need kind of a main large compartment for packing out meat.

Obviously, some are in really bright colors but I've seen some in tan and other such drab colors.

Not the answer you need, but after buying a kifaru, this east coast guy was glad he did. I'll have a pack that can last forever

I will say, it's not like you're packing elk, so you should be able to get by with less quality.

mt100gr.

WKR
What's your budget?

The first that come to mind to watch for are some of the older (or newer) mystery ranch backpacking packs. They'll do everything you need.

Or, for a more hunting specific pack, and if very heavy, long packouts are unlikely, look for a mystery pop-up pack. I carried 114lbs for 6 miles on my pop-up 38. It sucked something terrible, and I'd have given a large sum of anything for either my exo pack or my kifaru pack, but it handled the load just fine. Comfort was the only thing lacking but they're pretty slick little packs. They'd be ideal for antelope sized hauling.

Alps will serve you well. My buddy packed his bull this year with no issues. Little heavier than most but will work just fine. I’ve seen them for $125-150 used. Best wishes and good luck

Jbxl20

WKR
PA guy here. After hearing and reading horror stories, the first piece of gear I bought for out west was an EXO pack. I think a good pack that fits well and good boots that don’t hurt your feet are your most important purchases. If a cheaper pack works for you and is comfortable hauling weight then go for it. But in your search to save money buying a cheap pack upfront might cost you more in the long run. And just because EXO, stone glacier or Kifaru are top of the line, one brand might not fit your body type and might not ride comfortably with weight. I had to make lots of adjustments to get my EXO k3 frame to haul weight comfortably. I’m 5 10” 160lbs and hauling 70Lbs or more is not an issue.

2 weeks ago My uncle bought the cabelas multi day frame pack on sale for well under $200. I checked it out and seems like it has more than enough room for gear plus the ability to pack out meat. My only issue is the belt is one size and I have to pull the straps completely tight to fit my 32” waist. I don’t think I would be able to haul weight without it sagging. It would be fine for 34” and larger waist.

I don’t know how much weight or gear you plan on carrying but, My advice is to a get good pair of boots and at least a good frame. (You can buy a bag later down to road to save some money now) Put some weight on the frame and start hiking with it.

Voyageur

WKR
I needed an inexpensive pack to haul tree stands and other large bulky items during the off season. I also wanted a pack that I wouldn't mind leaving in the back seat of my truck during our entire 4 month archery deer season ready to pack meat when needed. I didn't want to leave my SO pack in the truck for that long. After some research I bought a new Alps Commander Lite for just under $100. I've used it for hauling hang-on and ladder stands, feed bags, 5 gal buckets of bear bait, and other bulky loads. It has hauled shed antlers and turkey decoys. I've also packed a bear, 3 antelope and 3 deer from the field with this pack. None of the load outs with meat have been very far...2.5 miles the longest and the shortest 3/4 of a mile. The pack serves the purposes for which I purchased it.
I'll say right up front it is NOT on par with my SO pack. I didn't expect it to be, and I don't need it to be. I wanted a "beater" pack I didn't mind leaving in my truck or on my ATV for days at a time. My SO pack is for those trips where I'm carrying camp on my back for a week or more at a time and it excels in that capacity. The Alps is for shorter out and back hauls.
Have fun on your western hunt!
Hope this perspective helps.

Fordguy

WKR
I have a Cabela's frame pack, I've been using it for several years on pack-in fishing trips, used it this summer for some training hikes with weight, and used it this fall to pack out an antelope. It's been great for everything so far, just make sure it's adjusted properly.

Jbxl20

WKR
I have a Cabela's frame pack, I've been using it for several years on pack-in fishing trips, used it this summer for some training hikes with weight, and used it this fall to pack out an antelope. It's been great for everything so far, just make sure it's adjusted properly.
Curious, what’s your waist size?

*zap*

WKR
Mil surplus molle pack & frame or alice pack & frame should work for under $100 if you shop around. Gun show would be a good place to pick one of those up cheap.

Any mil surp pack/frame will be much better made than a chinese made cheap pack.

Last edited:

EastMT

WKR
The alps or cabelas frame both work fine. They aren’t as quiet as the internals but we completed goat and sheep hunts using those. Sure there are better, but on a budget they will work fine.

Fordguy

WKR
Curious, what’s your waist size?
At present I'm around a 34 inch waist. I've been as small as a 32 while using the pack though. For reference, I'm currently about 190 lbs and 6'1.

Last edited:

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Being an east-cost whitetail hunter looking to go on his first Western hunt - probably for antelope - I'm not equipped with some of the gear required to home to the west.

I also can't afford to go all out with new, high-end gear. Hence, I was considering looking for a used frame backpack that would serve the purpose of carrying gear and packing out meat.

Has anyone done this and what should I look for? Some packs are probably broken up into smaller sections and I'm guessing you need kind of a main large compartment for packing out meat.

Obviously, some are in really bright colors but I've seen some in tan and other such drab colors.
You could rent one. Have you ever thought of that?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Hoodie

WKR
Well I haven't seen anyone bring this up, but for antelope it probably doesn't matter too much. You probably won't be deep in the backcountry or doing a lot of elevation gain on an antelope hunt. (Full disclosure: I've never done an antelope hunt, these are just assumptions from driving through antelope country).

Antelope are also light. You could pack one in any Osprey backpacking rig,

If you want a pack that will do future elk hunts, go for a used Mystery Ranch Glacier or Terraplane. Alps would be second, but the MR is worth the small bump in price in my opinion.

The Mystery Ranch is really all you'll ever need. I've carried far heavier loads than a bull elk quarter with those packs in the military with zero complaints.

Fordguy

WKR
No, antelope is usually a fairly simple pack out. Some rolling hills were the most severe obstacle that I encountered this fall. Distance can be whatever you make it and some areas are more rugged than others. My pack out weight this year was about 50 lbs, but I kept the head (even though it was a doe) for a European mount and the hide for my first home tanning attempt. So, head, hide, meat (bone in quarters, back straps, tenderloins, neck, and as much trim as I could take, plus the weight of tools and other necessities along with the frame pack it's self. I think the meat totaled around 30 lbs.

Dollar for dollar it’s hard to beat the Horn Hunter Full Curl Frame with its attached beaver tail and wings with storage. Give it a look for a budget minded do it all frame pack. I used one before making the investment in my Kifaru gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
What's your budget?.

I don't have one yet. I'm looking to buy a new rifle, rifle scope, and possibly a spotting scope. There are a lot of various things I'll be looking to acquire as well (clothing, camping items, etc.) and a pack is one of those things.

Mil surplus molle pack & frame or alice pack & frame should work for under $100 if you shop around. Gun show would be a good place to pick one of those up cheap.

Any mil surp pack/frame will be much better made than a chinese made cheap pack.
I am not familiar with what makes an Alice pack and Alice pack but I have a small milsurp pack that is great. I take it to the beach when surf fishing. It's the only zippered item o have that works like new after being in saltwater. Amazing.

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
PA guy here. After hearing and reading horror stories, the first piece of gear I bought for out west was an EXO pack. I think a good pack that fits well and good boots that don’t hurt your feet are your most important purchases. If a cheaper pack works for you and is comfortable hauling weight then go for it. But in your search to save money buying a cheap pack upfront might cost you more in the long run. And just because EXO, stone glacier or Kifaru are top of the line, one brand might not fit your body type and might not ride comfortably with weight. I had to make lots of adjustments to get my EXO k3 frame to haul weight comfortably. I’m 5 10” 160lbs and hauling 70Lbs or more is not an issue.

2 weeks ago My uncle bought the cabelas multi day frame pack on sale for well under $200. I checked it out and seems like it has more than enough room for gear plus the ability to pack out meat. My only issue is the belt is one size and I have to pull the straps completely tight to fit my 32” waist. I don’t think I would be able to haul weight without it sagging. It would be fine for 34” and larger waist.

I don’t know how much weight or gear you plan on carrying but, My advice is to a get good pair of boots and at least a good frame. (You can buy a bag later down to road to save some money now) Put some weight on the frame and start hiking with it.
Thanks for the reminder on having good boots!