Inexpensive heads

dkime

WKR
What’s the least expensive heads that you guys have had luck with? I just made a comment on a post about high end expensive broadheads and it got me thinking about all the crap I’ve killed with Slick trick standards back when 4 cost you 25$ and could normally get em cheaper than that. I’ve also killed a few animals with the OG muzzles a little ways back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeStrong

Lil-Rokslider
Kudupoint heads for me. I've had great luck with them, have yet to have one not spin straight, clean passthrough on a muley buck last year, consistent shooting, and about $40 for a 3 pack.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thunderhead, killed a bunch of elk, pronghorn and deer with them. Really tuff, fly great and hold together through just about everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
D

dkime

WKR
It’d be real interesting to see how many animals have fallen to a thunderhead over the years

I imagine it's a pile of elk/deer have been killed with the thunderhead. More will be taken this year. I use them in my recurve.

For compound, a relatively cheap fixed blade that I have found to fly well is the wackem. Been getting 4 per package. I'm assuming they are still packaged the same. Shop around and you can find them pretty cheap. Like $26-30 a package.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Ive always had goodluck with muzzy. One year I shot a buck quartering away the shot entered behind his Shoulder and exited through his throat, he ran 20 feet stopped
And I could see what looked like a water hose of blood coming out its Throat have never seen so much blood so quickly.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Back in 2012 I was looking for some 125gr Grim Reapers, but couldn't find any locally. I saw some 125gr NAP Spitfires on clearance for $19.99, and they looked similar to the GR's, so I bought a pack. First thing I checked was sharpness......good to go. Then I put them on arrows and spun them......absolutely perfect. Then I shot one head four times at 60 yards and all four were inside the 3.5" bullseye. I went back and bought the remaining 3 packs. Then shot a 308" OTC bull that September with one at 59 yards......devastating heads.

OP
D

dkime

WKR
Back in 2012 I was looking for some 125gr Grim Reapers, but couldn't find any locally. I saw some 125gr NAP Spitfires on clearance for $19.99, and they looked similar to the GR's, so I bought a pack. First thing I checked was sharpness......good to go. Then I put them on arrows and spun them......absolutely perfect. Then I shot one head four times at 60 yards and all four were inside the 3.5" bullseye. I went back and bought the remaining 3 packs. Then shot a 308" OTC bull that September with one at 59 yards......devastating heads.

Those spitfires are hard on whitetails as well, lots of guys I knew would run them and played hell on some of the biggest bucks I’ve seen killed

IdahoHntr

WKR
Both the slick tricks and thunderheads have killed stuff for me! I still shoot the slick tricks, cause they fly so good and have never let me down.

OP
D

dkime

WKR
Both the slick tricks and thunderheads have killed stuff for me! I still shoot the slick tricks, cause they fly so good and have never let me down.

I firmly believe if the man up stairs came down and forced me to choose which head I would have to buy for the rest of my life, STs would be the choice. Ferrules could use a bit more strength but you take the good with the bad.

To those of you who are saying your cheapest heads are still around that 45$ a pack mark, how much are you spending on heads each year? Last year was a down year and I still think I put 6 animals in the fridge, if it gets into double digits I’m either moving toward a head that can be resharpened or a cheaper head yet. I’m using the Day Six and STs right now and between the two I should be set for the 10 tags I’ve got this fall

I hunted with MA-3 fixed blades glue on heads for a few years back in the 70's and 80's. We'd buy them bulk for less than a dollar a head. They spun straight, were easy to file sharpen across the three blades. Shot a CO bighorn with them and other big game.

Also shot a lot with Rocky Mt Iron Heads and Titaniums....an obsolete 3-blade replaceable blade head. My buddy changed brands and sold me a decade's worth of heads for cheap. Shot a Stone sheep, muskox, two Canada moose and Alaskan Brown bear with them along with a pile of other critters.