Inexpensive pack for the woman

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys. Heading to CO this June to do a little scouting, and have a little vacation with my girlfriend. We'll be camping for the most part. I've got an EXO, but she doesn't have a decent pack of any kind. Not wanting to spend a whole lot because it will probably be used at most a few times a year. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Gregory packs aren't cheap but super comfortable and can be found discounted. Get her fitted for something decent so she wants to get out there. The backpacking world is very woman friendly.

Idahogobbler

Lil-Rokslider
I have a badlands 4500 I think I've used twice I'm getting ready to sell let me know if you'd be interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the discount websites. You should be able to find one for $150 or so. Sierra Trading Post has a bunch of options.

I posted awhile back on a similar thread that I bought an osprey on sale for my lady. There were a bunch of them out there. I think it was the Ariel.

Deepshax

WKR
A couple years back i picked my wife up one of gregory's top tier womens packs (from the prior year) for $80ish off of campsaver/sierra trading/etc. i also was able to get her an xlite for $87 (wish i found that deal when i got mine lol)

Mountain Smith had packs similar (but imported) to Kifaru (both companies started by Patrick Smith) years ago. My wife's MS is an excellent pack that came complete with a "guide lid" for a reasonable price. Worth checking out anyway.

Netherman

WKR
I was in the same boat except we are heading to CO the last week of May.

Check with your local REI to find out when they are having their next garage sale. I picked up a seemingly brand new women's Osprey Aurora for $120. She won't be packing out an elk with it but it's light and comfortable with plenty of space for her stuff.

Nick

OP
I

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the responses guys! I'll check them out. Netherman I may be out there the same time, either Last week of May or first week of June. Whereabouts you heading?

wildcat33

WKR
My wife has a gregory deva 60 and its pretty awesome. Really well made pack. Heavy though. Its made tough, for lots of use and heavy loads.

For lighter use, REI makes some ultralight packs that are pretty inexpensive, like the flash. I have the mens version and Ive done 5 day summer backpacking trips with it no problem. They have a few packs around 60-65L under 200 bucks. The Trail 65 looks pretty nice.

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
Osprey makes very comfy packs for women. Mine has 2 she used tons until she got a Kuiu Ultra set up.

Sidenote: the Kuiu Ultras can fit great on people 60" tall.... :cool:

Loco4dux

WKR
Lots of good deals at reasonable prices here just watch the classifieds and buy something that will double as a pack you might use in the future... Just picked up a SG Avail on the classifieds for my lady to use on a trip this summer while I'm running the Kifaru... Then I'll take "her" Stone Glacier back and use as a day pack after the trip is done :). Win win!

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/rokslide-classifieds/64636-wts-stone-glacier-avail-pack.html

Last edited:
Lots of good deals at reasonable prices here just watch the classifieds and buy something that will double as a pack you might use in the future... Just picked up a SG Avail on the classifieds for my lady to use on a trip this summer while I'm running the Kifaru... Then I'll take "her" Stone Glacier back and use as a day pack after the trip is done :). Win win!

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/rokslide-classifieds/64636-wts-stone-glacier-avail-pack.html[/QUOTE

...drops the mike, walks away.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of good advice already, backpack fit is very individual. Likely your best bet is to take her to rei or another outdoor store and have her try on a bunch of packs and go with what feels best. I have used arcteryx and Gregory packs with good success, and would also look at osprey and the rei branded packs as well. Someone else mentioned the Khoi ultra, and that's also a great option esp if you go with the pro suspension.

OP
I

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good advice already, backpack fit is very individual. Likely your best bet is to take her to rei or another outdoor store and have her try on a bunch of packs and go with what feels best. I have used arcteryx and Gregory packs with good success, and would also look at osprey and the rei branded packs as well. Someone else mentioned the Khoi ultra, and that's also a great option esp if you go with the pro suspension.

Thanks Becca. We are gonna run down to REI tomorrow so she can try some out.

bobhunts

WKR
Have her try some packs on at REI then either buy it new with the code MEMLOVE20 online or in store or try and find the same one used on the net. The code will save you 20%