Inflatable PFD's and Hunting

JeffP_Or

WKR
Anyone familiar with inflatable PFD's [Mustang or Onyx or ??] and how they are to wear while hunting/shooting? Does it inhibit mounting your gun? Considering the auto/manual over just manual [anticipating worst case].

I duck hunt & fish with a float tube and would like to add in a PFD. Looking for some insight. A hunting buddy gifted me on of the belt style ones but that seemed less safe; I like the idea of a normal vest/over the shoulder style.

I'm pretty sure Onyx makes hunting specific PFDs with mesh shoulder straps so they don't interfere with shouldering the gun. Never used them hunting but it's what I normally wear kayaking/paddle boarding.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a PFD when boat hunting solo. I've used the ONYX A/M-24 and it's OK, but it does add some bulk to your shoulder and could affect gun mount. I've come to prefer a foam PFD with mesh shoulders. I'll have to check the brand, I think it's a Stearns, but might be ONYX. The potential downside to foam a vest with mesh shoulders is that it may not keep your head above water in the event that you're knocked unconscious,

OP
JeffP_Or

JeffP_Or

WKR
Thanks for the comments; I went ahead and ordered an Onyx A/M 24. We'll see. I could not locate an Onyx locally to try - the bulk comment above is what I feared messing with the Mustangs. Time will tell I guess.....

oh_steen

FNG
I have both the Onyx mesh shouldered PFD and the M24. I use a kayak for much of my waterfowling. Mainly to get to and from my selected spot, but will occasionally hunt and shoot from my kayak. I wear a PFD 100% of the time I'm on the water. I much prefer the M24 vs the mesh shoulder. My only issue with the mesh shouldered vest was that when worn over waders and layers of clothing, the padding on the back of the vest was just too bulky. It made sitting in the kayak very uncomfortable, so I had gotten into a pretty bad habit of not wearing it.

On the other hand, the M24 is low profile enough to forget I'm wearing it. Often times I'll end up wearing it all day, and don't end up taking it off until I'm back at the take-out. From my experience, it does not inhibit my mount, but YMMV. The only downside is, if I go into the water unconscious, I can't pull the cord. I've heard that the automatic vests have gotten better about not inflating due to splashing, rain, etc; however, I just couldn't get over the concern that an automatic vest may unexpectedly inflate on me. In hindsight, this is probably not the most rational fear and an automatic is probably the right choice.

OP
JeffP_Or

JeffP_Or

WKR
Good feeback @oh_steen - thanks. I'm hoping for good results with the A/M mnodel - I was fearful of the same auto-inflate issues you note when looking at them years ago. Seems those fears have somewhat gone away - I can tell you if ducking or steelheading in the PNW coast & valley doesn't set off the jacket, then I might be concerned it never will! The A/M allows you to set to manual so that may be what has to happen in bad conditions - but like you note, I like the auto option just because you never know what shape you'll be in when you take your dunking.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04