Inflation and gear prices

While getting ready to order a new backpack system, I was on the Kifaru site and noticed that their prices went up considerably, no doubt due to inflation (which I understand completely). So I thought crap, I missed my window and now its going to cost me north of $1200 for the entire setup I want with accessories etc... I noticed that a couple of the other packs I was looking at haven't gone up yet, but it's just a matter of time before they do. I am trying to stay with a backpack made in the USA, and right now I'm also looking at Initial Ascent IA6K and the EXO 6400. I love the idea of a Pannier load system with IA so that I could be super light for day hunting, but still able to haul meat. Plus the pack looks really nice and well thought out. The EXO looks great and has great reviews and would save me about $500 while the IA would save me about half that. Unfortunately I am not in an area to try any of these on. I saw a great saying on here about "analysis paralysis" and definitely have it. But, I am just ready to purchase a pack so I can start training/playing with it. Cost is always considered but not a show stopper. I tend to get what I really want or what I deem is the best quality. So I guess what I'm looking for is any personal experience with the 3 packs. Has anyone used the IA Pannier system for day hunting/spike out camp? Is the Kifaru worth the extra $$ to you guys that have tried the other 2 packs? Whew, I need a beer!

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a couple of kifarus and two generations of the exo. They both fit me well, but I prefer the exo. If the cost difference really is $500, I would save the $500 and try an exo. If it doesn't fit, send it back and try one of the others.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Kifaru has just gotten ridiculous with their pricing. I had a Rogan in my cart on Friday for a delivered price around $148. By Sunday that price was over $180 and they also stopped offering free shipping on items over $100 despite me having just received an email stating shipping was free for orders over $100. I've spent upwards of $1400 with them since November, but I'm done till either a sale comes along or I'll just buy used if I want anymore Kifaru. I love their stuff, but apparently not as much as they do.

Looks like Kifaru’s items went up 15% across the board…..I’m glad I have my Kifaru set up locked in……I love my Kifaru and don’t seen myself ever changing but I’ve heard a lot of good things about EXO and $500 is a lot of money you could use on other gear or tags, etc.

OP
M
Yeah, My cart right now is $1252 for Kifaru, $984 for AI, and EXO $840. So not $500 but over $410 for EXO. Guess if I was wanting to cut the price down some I could go with the Reckoning instead of the Hoodlum since its on sale, But thats still quite a bit more. The more I think about it the more I think I'll cut Kifaru out.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you wanted, you could order all of them......try them......and then send the ones you don't want back within 30 days. I did that with Kifaru and EXO and then ended up with a SG that I got in a trade. I'd recommend trying them all with 80+ pounds in/on them and then choosing. When you're in the middle of a packout, what the pack cost means little at that point, and you'd pay extra for the comfort.

I started stocking up on everything I use when everyone started going towards $15 minimum wages. I knew that was going to be a problem for inflation and keeping businesses in business. Either way I use what I use for a reason, and don't want to pay more for it if I can help it, or God forbid they go out of business or discontinue the items.

OP
M
So, I just spoke to Dennis from Initial Ascent and went ahead and ordered a pack. Seems like a great guy. If it doesn't work out he said I can return it in 30 days. I am very excited to check this thing out. The Pannier system is what sold me on it.

Holocene

WKR
Used gear is available for great prices all the time! Would you consider a used pack?

Here's a peanut gallery thought. This country is so over-leveraged that some people are or will soon be facing financial trouble as they service they debt they took on to buy all the nice stuff they couldn't afford. Like $1200 hunting packs. I'm not saying you can't afford that -- I'm just making a bold guess that the majority of high-end pack purchases are made on margin. I could be totally wrong.

This inflation is painful for me and my family, too.

But, I'm keeping an eye out for deals as people need to liquidate gear to service debt and afford higher costs of living.

If a guy's got three nice hunting pack and the grocery bills went up 30%, maybe he sells a pack to help a little.

Another issue is supply and demand. As long as enough people are willing to buy a new $1200 pack to keep Kifaru in business, they'll keep selling them.

OP
M
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I definitely have been looking in classifieds. It seemed like a lot of the Kifaru stuff was near new cost though. I figured why buy used and only save 10-20% when I can get new and in the color and style I like. But, in the long run I just couldn't quite stomach that much of an increase in price overnight. Especially since I think I'm getting exactly what I really need in the IA pack. I'm a working guy and not rich, but I don't trade vehicles every year, or live in a house that I can't afford. But do buy nice things. Hell, I spent $330 dollars on 1 musky lure LOL. I still have my original Cabelas Alaskan II backpack (this one will replace), and my 1999 Swarovski 8x30 binos. Its been almost 20 years since my last elk hunt, and gotta admit, all this new gear on the market nowadays has me giddy!

Lawnboi

WKR
Holy crap your not kidding on the price increase. Significant.

I like my kifaru stuff but I havnt bought much in a while. Lots of guys here think they need to buy a new one every year.

I’ll keep using my hunter frame and fulcrum for now.

But hey our union got us a 1.5% raise this year! That will cover the cost difference for milk maybe.

Yep. I ordered a burch barrel a few weeks ago even I'd have rather waited, since they increased the price by $200. At least they kept sending out reminders about it, dont remember seeing any from kifaru which is pretty lame. Good thing i don't need anything from them

180ls1

WKR
One of my clients makes backpacks. They shared the numbers with me a couple of weeks ago when we were going over insurance/finance and it's wild. I promise you they don't want to be raising prices (my client actually has been eating into their profit to keep increases down) but they had to raise prices substantially.

pc3

WKR
Man, glad I went all in on the Black Friday sale. That 20% off is more like 30-40% now.
Likewise...picked up a duplex lite frame, couple of larger belts (the tac frame had a medium that was too small) some x pac pockets and a blaze sherman....would all be a lot more expensive now !

Norm555

WKR
Official CPI last month was at 7.5% but that is the baked number the government puts out. In all reality it's much higher than the official figure. It's an invisible tax that hurts those worst at the bottom of the income ladder.

ClayA23

FNG
If you don’t like the IA I would recommend EXO highly. I have the 4800 which works great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk