Inflation and gear prices

OP
M
If you don’t like the IA I would recommend EXO highly. I have the 4800 which works great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
For sure. I think it was getting shipped out yesterday, so I should be able to try it on and see how it fits under a load soon.

Squirrels

WKR
Kifaru has officially priced me out of their market with the latest increase. They make great stuff. It’s not about being able to afford it as much as stomaching the cost. Now, used will cost what new did 2 weeks ago. I’m seeing the same with lots of other things as well. Sad conditions driven by fools in DC.

OP
M
Kifaru has officially priced me out of their market with the latest increase. They make great stuff. It’s not about being able to afford it as much as stomaching the cost. Now, used will cost what new did 2 weeks ago. I’m seeing the same with lots of other things as well. Sad conditions driven by fools in DC.
thats where I found myself as well. At some point you just have to stop the bleeding so to speak when buying nice gear. I really wanted to buy American made which is why I was looking at IA, Exo, and Kifaru. Now I'm looking at Forloh clothing for the same reason. I really like the looks of their rain gear and jackets/pants for my hunt, but wow is it expensive. However, the thought of having to buy Chinese made gear just pisses me off. Sometimes though, its the only option.

thats where I found myself as well. At some point you just have to stop the bleeding so to speak when buying nice gear. I really wanted to buy American made which is why I was looking at IA, Exo, and Kifaru. Now I'm looking at Forloh clothing for the same reason. I really like the looks of their rain gear and jackets/pants for my hunt, but wow is it expensive. However, the thought of having to buy Chinese made gear just pisses me off. Sometimes though, its the only option.
Forloh has been having pretty frequent 15-30% off sales, just be patient and get on the email list if you're not. Its great gear 👍

So, I just spoke to Dennis from Initial Ascent and went ahead and ordered a pack. Seems like a great guy. If it doesn't work out he said I can return it in 30 days. I am very excited to check this thing out. The Pannier system is what sold me on it.
let us know, don't hear much about IA packs... the only really in depth review i have seen was from someone's opinion i trust very little (not on this forum)

i hear you on prices getting high, but packs are one of those zero compromise pieces of gear... it's important it suits you well. i hope the IA fits that criteria for you. i am pretty settled in on packs right now, but IA is still interesting to me.... i'm more of a "don't care if it's the comfiest pack light (they are all pretty good in that regard) but want it to make a really heavy load stick to my body, and feel stable, and not be annoying wearing it a bunch of days in a row with 35ish lbs in it"

i have tried every pack system i was curious about, and packed heavy loads of meat several miles at a minimum for all of them, gave them all a very fair chance, even after the first rough pack out for those that didn't work, which has also made it very clear how much better a couple fit me vs the rest.... i do want to revisit Seek Outside, because i love their stuff and am not convinced that my issue with it was user error (entertaining the idea at least) because they are so adjustable, maybe i never landed on the right adjustment for my body.... they have a lot going for them for some of the hunting i do, and everything i have got from them has been great quality and well thought out (like kifaru and EXO)

hopefully at some point, USA made will not carry such a huge added cost by default, but for now, it is what it is

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
let us know, don't hear much about IA packs... the only really in depth review i have seen was from someone's opinion i trust very little (not on this forum)

i hear you on prices getting high, but packs are one of those zero compromise pieces of gear... it's important it suits you well. i hope the IA fits that criteria for you. i am pretty settled in on packs right now, but IA is still interesting to me.... i'm more of a "don't care if it's the comfiest pack light (they are all pretty good in that regard) but want it to make a really heavy load stick to my body, and feel stable, and not be annoying wearing it a bunch of days in a row with 35ish lbs in it"

i have tried every pack system i was curious about, and packed heavy loads of meat several miles at a minimum for all of them, gave them all a very fair chance, even after the first rough pack out for those that didn't work, which has also made it very clear how much better a couple fit me vs the rest.... i do want to revisit Seek Outside, because i love their stuff and am not convinced that my issue with it was user error (entertaining the idea at least) because they are so adjustable, maybe i never landed on the right adjustment for my body.... they have a lot going for them for some of the hunting i do, and everything i have got from them has been great quality and well thought out (like kifaru and EXO)

hopefully at some point, USA made will not carry such a huge added cost by default, but for now, it is what it is
I don’t know about “zero compromise” for packs. If they go up any more we’re going to start using zip ties to lash a burlap sack on to a kifaru frame 😀

OP
M
yes sir I sure did. I actually took it out last night for my first hike. I wrapped a 25lb plate in a couple of towels and took it for a spin. I only used my pannier system for the hike, so I took my 6k bag off. It's funny, I had read from a couple of guys how at first they weren't sure if they liked the big lumbar pad. but then when they started the hike, they liked it more and more and ended up loving it. this is kinda where I found myself. It really sat on my hips great and was very comfortable. I need to do a few adjustments with how I had the weight. I think I need a sandbag or a something bigger in size to really load it correctly. the plate is so narrow and short that it makes it hard to get the load up in the proper position. But, even so, the pack cinches down flawlessly and is super stable. I can see why it shines with the more weight you haul with how the belt fits. I really like the rigid frame as it makes the pack seem really stable. In total, with the weight of the backpack, water, pockets, plate, etc... the pack weighed a total of 35lbs. I haven't hiked/trained with a pack since 2003, so its been a while lol.
I'll add some pic here shortly of the frame with just the lid and pannier system with the bag next to it. For day hunting, and spiking out, I can't think of a better/lightweight system.

Attachments

• 0303221047_Film1.jpg
    0303221047_Film1.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 0303221048_Film1.jpg
    0303221048_Film1.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
OP
M
here's a couple more...

Attachments

• 0303221049_Film1.jpg
    0303221049_Film1.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 0303221050_Film1.jpg
    0303221050_Film1.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 71
KIFARU is having a great sale on the StrykerXL and on the Tac frames right now. Site is overwhelmed.

Yep, you can buy the Stryker XL for 5% less than you could have 2 months ago LOL
That’s true and I did get one before the price increase. The really good deal is 35% off a MC Tac frame @ $318. Kifaru has pretty much made it so I won’t buy there unless it’s on sale. That frame price is a screaming deal even compared several months ago.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That’s true and I did get one before the price increase. The really good deal is 35% off a MC Tac frame @ $318. Kifaru has pretty much made it so I won’t buy there unless it’s on sale. That frame price is a screaming deal even compared several months ago.

If shipping from AK wasn’t such a bitch, I’d sell my tactical frame for less than that. I’ve also moved on from Kifaru (other than the LPP) for different reasons but with these price hikes, I’m out 100%.

Used gear is available for great prices all the time! Would you consider a used pack?

Here's a peanut gallery thought. This country is so over-leveraged that some people are or will soon be facing financial trouble as they service they debt they took on to buy all the nice stuff they couldn't afford. Like $1200 hunting packs. I'm not saying you can't afford that -- I'm just making a bold guess that the majority of high-end pack purchases are made on margin. I could be totally wrong.

This inflation is painful for me and my family, too.

But, I'm keeping an eye out for deals as people need to liquidate gear to service debt and afford higher costs of living.

If a guy's got three nice hunting pack and the grocery bills went up 30%, maybe he sells a pack to help a little.

Another issue is supply and demand. As long as enough people are willing to buy a new $1200 pack to keep Kifaru in business, they'll keep selling them.
Exactly right

Mitten32

WKR

You mean to tell me you don't trust a review of the IA pack system by a guy who previously ran two other systems and they were also the best pack he's ever used......

j33

WKR
I ordered a bunch of stuff last month to get me through the year and try and beat some of the price increases. I just checked and looks like Kuiu pants & packs are up ~4-6%, gaiters look to be the same price so material increases are trickling in everywhere.