Inflation and gear prices

One thing I really like about the Kifaru packs is the MOLLE attach points. You can use them to attach external pockets and customize the pack to get exactly what you need for each hunt. EXO doesn't offer MOLLE on their packs and I'm sure that contributes to the lower prices. I am really impressed with how comfortable the EXO pack system is and if you don't need the MOLLE attachments, I think EXO is a great choice.
Those are the 2 packs I have settled on, I agree, both are great, and different enough that it’s easy to justify keeping both pack systems… glad I don’t have to pick one, because I like my EXO, but wear the kifaru mostly these days

So, I just spoke to Dennis from Initial Ascent and went ahead and ordered a pack. Seems like a great guy. If it doesn't work out he said I can return it in 30 days. I am very excited to check this thing out. The Pannier system is what sold me on it.
what you think of the initial ascent?

OP
M
what you think of the initial ascent?
I really like it. I wrote a little blurb about it on page 2 if you want to check it out and some pics. I love the big lumbar pad and how the belt cinches up to ride on your hips. Very happy so far. I have yet to hike with my main pack, so far its just been with the pannier system.

My Deluxe Timberline 1 on Tactical Frame is on the shelf in case my Hoodlum on UL frame ever wears out. Glad i bought them each when i did. The DT1 was originally on the Bikini frame. To say i wouldn't buy another because of inflation though would be like saying i wouldn't buy another thousand rounds......

Last edited:
analysis paralysis - this is my current issue and it was one reason why I didn't pull the trigger on Kifaru during the Black Friday sale.

I really want to go with Kifaru but their pricing is so high. I am looking at Kifaru/Stone Glacier/Mystery Ranch.

I have time until my backpack hunt so I am holding out to see if I find something used or hit a random sale. I really hope this inflation starts to go the other direction.